J Manship Auction Results 28/06/2017

Here's this week's results....

11845_1sm.jpg11845_1sm.jpg11845_2sm.jpg

Limitations

I'm Lonely I'm Troubled / My Baby

What and intro to this high octane Northern Soul roadster is laying shoe-sole skid-marks on Northern Soul dance-floors throughout Britain at the moment.

Rattling drum-rolls, bongos, plucky Wah- Wah guitar, steer the relentless vocal-group mover, enriched by urgent but still tight silky harmonies.

This is real-deal Northern Soul in the true classic style, full of all the ingredients for spins, back drop and synchronized hand claps.. the bollocks!!

Vinyl and labels are flawless, check out the crisp soundfile..

The flipside is just as highly regarded as the a-side for Sweet Soul fans, but note there is a lone hairline scratch on the intro that clicks.. for the first few revolutions. A shame as the A-side is a Manship-Mint as is the flip except for this one mark..

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 813.00

11838_1sm.jpg11838_1sm.jpg11838_2sm.jpg

Spider Turner

I've Get Myself Together (before I Lose My Mind /

We do try and pride ourselves on the consistent fine condition of our listings - but occasionally we give a green light, to records in lesser conditions if fidelity is strong and clear, and of course if it’s a DJ box essential.

This Detroit dancer is one such essential, as demand from the dancers and collection has rocketed in more recent times.

Vinyl has multiple hairlines, nothing deep nothing causing distracting clicks or distortion (check the sound-file lifted directly off the copy. There is a minuscule surface flake at the very edge of the run-in on the A-side that does NOT transfer to the B-side.

The B-side of course is another stand-out Detroit dancer, the surface on the flipside is at least a grade higher and plays Excellent.

One highly in demand Double helping from the Motor City guaranteed to give your set and the night a lift..

And perhaps the chance to own a Rare disc at an affordable price!

The winning bid was £ 511.00

11868_1sm.jpg11868_1sm.jpg11868_2sm.jpg

Detroit Spinners

I'll Always Love You / Tomorrow May Never Come

Looking for clean TMG’s - they ain’t getting any easier to find

The winning bid was £ 100.00

11866_1sm.jpg11866_1sm.jpg11866_2sm.jpg

Five Stars

Baby, Baby / Blabbermouth

This week’s Rare Motown collectable, is a flawless 1961 Columbia Promo copy of a record documenting the beginnings of Berry Gordy writing producing career which incorporates two Five Star members, that would later form the basis of The Originals, with Walter Gaines & C. P. Spencer.

Top side is an imaginative harmony stroller highlighting tight vocal rebounds, seamlessly fitting each other crafting harmony of the highest calibre.

First issued on New York’s End label which Gordy became disaffected with royalty payment cheques, being so uneconomical he had one George Goldner “End” cheque was allegedly framed and hung on his wall, as motivation to sharpen his competitive edge each morning as he looked at it.

This Columbia PROMO is in such fabulously clean condition we thought, with the history, anecdotes, and quality harmony this was a listing to interesting several areas of rare 45 collecting..

Flip it over a Berry & Gwen Gordy steer the group down a “Coasters” inspired production, with a quirky nod to David Seville and His Chipmunks at the intro, underlining Gordy’s ear for current trend and his skill to be able to hook into it..

Five Stars became the “Voicemasters” on Anna, before laying a couple of brick into foundations of my favorite Motown group “The Originals”

The winning bid was £ 34.00

11862_1sm.jpg11862_1sm.jpg11862_2sm.jpg

Constellations

I Don't Know About You

If anyone ask me “come on play me a record that showcases the very best of Northern Soul to you”

I’d have to play my unconverted friend this 45. As for me being terribly biased towards the vocal-group Northern Soul productions, this tune is the “dogs”

From the very first syllable of those soaring vocals.Oh and then the deep-as-you-like it Bass vocal burbles a few words.. and I’m hooked, tied and totally enamored to this sound, that continues to rise in it’s glorious arrangement into a masterpiece of the genre..

Whether a NS-music-infidel would actually experience the same feelings as me as the song plays out, is rather doubtful. As shivers, pulse quickening rushes, neck-tingling are possibly emotions reserved for those disciples who have spent a lifetime devoted to Soul music…

THIS IS A TUNE

A tune you may secure at an afford price, as although both labels are totally the vinyl has surface marks visually vg. Plays better so listen carefully to the full sound file provided.

Oh I almost forgot in my unbridled enthusiasm…

It is of course, one of the BIGGEST most popular Northern Soul 45s, that a DJ could possibly drop..

to trigger the wildebeast dancefloor stampede..

The winning bid was £ 962.00

11863_1sm.jpg11863_1sm.jpg11863_2sm.jpg

Little Anthony Burns

Do Right Man / Try Me Darling

RAREST OF THE RARE Deep Soul !

Both sides of this Southern Soul “impossible” conveys despair, pain and an aching need in equal amounts; as Little Anthony Burns borrows from a few Soul Classics, amalgamating some well know phrases but stamping his own identity on each track.

A funeral paced Hammond pulls the session deeper into misery, with a sympathetic guitar riff twitching away in the background. An abyss of sadness unfolds. Flipping it over Anthony’s mood does not get any brighter..

This time drawing in from James Brown’s Deep Soul classic, but adjusting the lyrics enough to lift it away from plagiarism…but this Soul Man’s exquisitely tortured vocal dispels all comparisons. As this is a truly individual performance displaying neighborhood Soul at it’s most moving..

Top of the Tree Deep Soul and insanely rare!

Condition throughout, could hardly be finer! 

The winning bid was £ 112.00

11841_1sm.jpg11841_1sm.jpg11841_2sm.jpg

Ringleaders

Baby What Has Happened To Our Love / Let's Start Over

One of the most exquisite male vocal group Northern Soul sounds to ever grace all-niter turntables.. even after all these years, every time I hear this ring out.. shivers run down my neck!

Certainly heading up my DJ sets of the mid-70’s, a game changer transforming the dancefloor into a “sardine can” at the drop of a needle..

..but for today I think the flipside would knock a Sunday chill session crowd “dead” utterly sublime harmony awaits, with a sexy sax taking to the air as the seamless voices take pause for breath..

Two drop-dead gorgeous tune from this highly accomplished gathering..

This copy has a couple of mild hairlines.. strong clean Ex + that plays mint!

The winning bid was £ 312.00

11843_1sm.jpg11843_1sm.jpg11843_2sm.jpg

Len Watson

Dancing With Your Memory

A BEAT BALLAD HEAVEN - MONSTER !!

From Romance Watson…

Prepare for something completely off the wall, a cocktail of the the Big City Sound spiked with Popcorn. Driven down the hatch by a Henry Jerome “Wall Of Sound” (Phil Spector wasn’t the only kid on the block capable crashing juggernauts through your cochlea)

Get ready for a monumental vocal performance from Len, bolstered by a fantastic kitchen-sink production, as Henry Jerome throws everything into the full orchestra surroundings. Girls, guys, strings, prompting Hammond, and a rhythmic riffs borrowed from early Motown..

Wow! This guy has a voice to move mountains, easily rivaling the greats Ray Pollard, Tony Middleton or any other Soul gargantuan who attacks the mike..

A 45 that has long been a “Popcorn” play, now surely some enterprising UK Northern Soul Jock with a penchant for the Big City Sound could take this tune right off the scale in this country too.

Noting, condition could hardly be more perfect! Spy the gorgeous label vista then unleash LEN!

Additional info from Graham Cooper Shirebrook ace DJ at “Something Different - Shirebrook”

The winning bid was £ 135.00

11839_1sm.jpg11839_1sm.jpg11839_2sm.jpg

Duke And Leonard

Just Do The Best You Can / You've Lost Your Soul

Is May the month for spectacular labels?

The winning bid was £ 191.00

11865_1sm.jpg11865_1sm.jpg11865_2sm.jpg11865_3sm.jpg11865_4sm.jpg

Blues & Soul Calendar

1968 12 Month Artist Picture

AGAINST ALL ODDS - 1968 SURVIVOR!!

So very rare this is the very first we have offered this 12 month Soul Icon Pictured 1968 mail order only calendar.

By the very nature of this piece of memorabilia, calendars are invariably discarded or the perforated sheets ripped off as the month ends. This is complete, complete examples got thrown the moment the New Year kicks in. For one person at least this pictorial tribute to the greatest Soul stars of the year, was just far too precious to dispense with. Boy am I pleased to thumb through vintage pictures of:

January - Lou Rawls. February - Isley Bros. March - Betty Harris. April - James Carr. May - Aretha Franklin. June - B. B. King. July - Maxine Brown. August - Little Milton. September - Jimmy Holiday. October - Billy Stewart. November - Gene Chandler. December - Little Richard.

See January, February, March, April example

What an array of splendid black & white pictures to treasure!

This calendar is a card/thick paper construction attached in place to a spiral top ring, with the hook for wall hanging. And what a wall hanger too.

All pages are free of tears, stains or writing. They are in excellent condition with only the front January having mild creases to the very edge.

First time we have ever listed it - and we are not anticipating ever seeing another. 

The winning bid was £ 59.00

11852_1sm.jpg11852_1sm.jpg11852_2sm.jpg

John Drevar's Expression

The Closer She Gets

Before you is an old school Northern Soul boy’s heart-stopper! An Off-The-Scale Rare Stock copy!

John Drevar’s Expression just back from a tour supporting Jimi Hendrix in Paris, when Lance Barrett presented the group with a Richie Adams, Victoria Pike, Teddy Randazzo creation. Lance was hoping for another big hit like he had with The Troggs a year earlier with “Wild Thing”. Assisting proceedings was “Soul” orientated Johnny Harris, who arranged the song with imposing instrumental breaks.

According to band member Derek Edmond the party atmosphere was in full swing, especially when an enthusiastic couple of backing singers add “Ba Ba Ba Ba” into the huge horn break, clapping hands elevating the song up yet another notch..

The “Ba Ba Ba Ba” backing singers were Tony Blackburn and the distracting gorgeousness of Tessa Wyatt, playing a vital part of this great Northern Soul song’s fabric!

But unfortunately, for all this enthusiasm from accomplished players, the expected “hit” was not to be, this 45 fell at the first hurdle, selling virtually nothing and so the legendary saga of a future Northern Soul trophy begins…

Such a cool tune, was at some point in it’s life gonna be discovered, and the most likely source would be a Northern Soul pioneer unearthing a copy from his local vinyl graveyards…

We are not sure who the first DJ to debut this 45, but it rocketed to the top of everyone’s wish list, as the very few pink and silver Demo copies hit the turntables of of England’s premier all niters! The rest is history, so rare at the time, a copy never fell into the hands of the bootleggers, casual Northern Soul collectors had to be content with a vastly inferior remake on Destiny records, who cheekily put a 1968 date on the label. A record I’ve thankfully not heard since it’s actual 1979 release..

HERE IS THE REAL DEAL the 1967 STOCK copy, rarer than the DEMO in our experience of the last 20 years at a 4 to 1 ratio.

This copy has two clean labels, no writing, stains or tears. The vinyl surface is marked, strong gloss but lots a light surface hairlines. Listen to the soundfile lifted directly of the “near impossible” disc.

and wait for that mighty instrumental break towards the end, when apparently Tessa Wyatt seductively stooped towards the microphone and Tony Blackburn’s “Ba Ba Ba Ba” morphed into a lip curling “BAAA!! BAAA!! BAAA!! BAAA!!”

I feel your desire Tony B. as I find every aspect of this song is seductive… including the label.

The winning bid was £ 463.00

11867_1sm.jpg11867_1sm.jpg11867_2sm.jpg

Marketts

Stirrin' Up Some Soul

A Northern Soul instrumental classic in by far it’s most desirable clothes.

1967 British Yellow DEMO! in fine clean condition!

Irresistle!

The winning bid was £ 86.00

•  
Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

6 minutes ago, moxey25 said:

thought spider turner would have gone for a lot more

Same here. But I don't think is was in the usual JM spotless condition.

The one on Tim Brown's auction that finished today went for more and was in similar condition.

Last line of the description "a chance to own a rare disc at an affordable price"!

On the other hand, I think the Limitations went for a top price.

Social source share

8 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Len I used to play the Constellations at your do at the Embankment club to a near empty floor 😃

And that is why I hired you my friend - "Empty dance floors rule ok!" :wink:

I know lots of times people reminisce about a certain record being '3 Bob' back in the day etc, I remember ringing up after 'The Limitations' on several occasions in those days Dave, and it was actually £25.00 back then - I never managed to bag it until some years later though.

Len :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, LEN said:

And that is why I hired you my friend - "Empty dance floors rule ok!" :wink:

I know lots of times people reminisce about a certain record being '3 Bob' back in the day etc, I remember ringing up after 'The Limitations' on several occasions in those days Dave, and it was actually £25.00 back then - I never managed to bag it until some years later though.

Len :thumbsup:

Hi Len,yeah £10 for the Constellations back then,I was lucky I picked up both the Bacone 45s the Limitations And the Voltaire's at the time... 😉

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!