Is This The Rarest Bootleg Pressing?

I've been collecting and buying Northern now since 1973/74 and must have had at least 100,000 records pass through my hands but I've never seen this before, or even seen a picture of it.  The fact that it's terrible doesn't come into it.  I think this is an early Simon job circa 74 which possibly never got released or circulated.  It's actually BOBBY VEE from an LP and the B side is a shocking instrumental version.

Anyone know anything about this one, seen it before?  Not mentioned in any guide...

song.jpg

Social source share

6 hours ago, Pete S said:

Yep he sure loved that font!

Pete- The plant would have had a type set go to person, who would have designed similar labels like the Sandy Golden and 70's pressings like the Bobby Vee thingy. 

I doubt Simon was involved in the Sandy G. Not his style at all. 

Edited by Goldsoul
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Goldsoul said:

Pete- The plant would have had a type set go to person, who would have designed similar labels like the Sandy Golden and 70's pressings like the Bobby Vee thingy. 

I doubt Simon was involved in the Sandy G. Not his style at all. 

I beg to differ Kev, he had the master tapes to The Sweets and the Sandy Golden shares the same backing track as The Sweets - I think it's from maybe 73/74 and has someone playing synth on it to tart it up a bit...you have to listen closely.  And that font was his signature - Sandra Phillips, lee Andrews, Magnificents, countless pressings

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Weve been here before with SG, I doubt very much Simon would have gone to the expense to pay for mastering at Artisan, one of the leading west coast mastering companies.. and synthesisers were also around at that time, they were around in the 60s.  

The font would probably have been a popular font at the time 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Pete S said:

I beg to differ Kev, he had the master tapes to The Sweets and the Sandy Golden shares the same backing track as The Sweets - I think it's from maybe 73/74 and has someone playing synth on it to tart it up a bit...you have to listen closely.  And that font was his signature - Sandra Phillips, lee Andrews, Magnificents, countless pressings

I have an article on Simon Soussan where he is discussing how he is playing synth himself.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, chalky said:

But as said they were not a new phenomenon in the 70s and were in use in recording studios in the 60s. 

I'm sticking with my conspiracy theory and I will be proved right when hundreds of copies hit the streets one day in the future!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

44 minutes ago, Pete S said:

He did not have the master tapes to the Sweets. Bobby Sanders was a personal friend of mine. Simon genuinely licensed the Sweets from him. Bob would not have given him the tapes to runaway with. 

I cant see how SS would have been involved and never sold any!!

it was more likely that Soultown were involved somehow.  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

14 hours ago, Goldsoul said:

He did not have the master tapes to the Sweets. Bobby Sanders was a personal friend of mine. Simon genuinely licensed the Sweets from him. Bob would not have given him the tapes to runaway with. 

I cant see how SS would have been involved and never sold any!!

it was more likely that Soultown were involved somehow.  

he must have let him near the tapes at some point how would he have got the instrumental otherwise?  Unless he asked for the backing tracks as well..

Social source share

Pete- I spoke to him at length, but it's merely a case of Simon doing things properly with Soultown. Bobby oversaw the limited runs, but as he said....Soussan paid me so there's nothing to be suspicious about. 

Knowing SS as I did back then and in touch with him even today, he's not behind Sandy Golden. If he were, you would have seen far more on the street. Simon's flair was to create, not hide em in a cupboard for decades. 

If I am wrong, I will personally eat a Soul Fox single whole 😂

Social source share

33 minutes ago, Goldsoul said:

Pete- I spoke to him at length, but it's merely a case of Simon doing things properly with Soultown. Bobby oversaw the limited runs, but as he said....Soussan paid me so there's nothing to be suspicious about. 

Knowing SS as I did back then and in touch with him even today, he's not behind Sandy Golden. If he were, you would have seen far more on the street. Simon's flair was to create, not hide em in a cupboard for decades. 

If I am wrong, I will personally eat a Soul Fox single whole 😂

I'll supply tomato sauce

• Helpful 1
Social source share

33 minutes ago, Goldsoul said:

How about The Trips - There's that mountain / Love can't be modernised on Soultown ? The copy I have even has the same pressing plant stamp as John and The Weirdest on Tie .Would this have been a legal re press via Bobby Sanders ? There is so much info on the label ,unlike most bootlegs of the time . I read somewhere that copies of The Sweets with the instrumental flip turned up in the UK in the same box as the copies with " Something about my baby " on .Think it was a Blue Max's shop that was mentioned .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

34 minutes ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

How about The Trips - There's that mountain / Love can't be modernised on Soultown ? The copy I have even has the same pressing plant stamp as John and The Weirdest on Tie .Would this have been a legal re press via Bobby Sanders ? There is so much info on the label ,unlike most bootlegs of the time . I read somewhere that copies of The Sweets with the instrumental flip turned up in the UK in the same box as the copies with " Something about my baby " on .Think it was a Blue Max's shop that was mentioned .

I went to Selectadisc to buy one (a  Sweets boot, but I was young at the time...) what they gave me was a ' real' one - and it came at random out of the pile they had for sale, so clearly they were not discriminating that much at point of sale back then.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

Cannot answer that one. My only lengthy conversation with Bobby was over his life, certain singles of which the Trips I had completely forgot about 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Rich B said:

I went to Selectadisc to buy one (a  Sweets boot, but I was young at the time...) what they gave me was a ' real' one - and it came at random out of the pile they had for sale, so clearly they were not discriminating that much at point of sale back then.

Selectadisc had a simple policy of buying street level music genres without giving the supply too much thought. 

From the early suppliers like Bill Buster(Eric) to Soul Galore they simply wanted sellers. 

Frequent callers often found originals and thought 'Wow, where did they get those from'

1972 saw hundreds of Valentinos- Sweeter, Rose Batiste- Holding Hands and Stanky Get Funky.  

They became famous as one stop for Northern without really knowing why. Fans simply made them into a superstar  vinyl outlet 😀 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!