Steve S 60

Company Tax Return Software

Can anyone recommend some accounting software for filing a company tax return with HMRC?  Unfortunately I can't use HMRCs own software because I have rental income exceeding £5,200 per annum (£6,300).  I was paying an accountant £480 to file my annual company return and self assessment but as I'm now semi-retired I can't justify his charges, especially when it took me less than 4 hours to complete my annual financial statement, file it with Companies House and do my self assessment.  Realistically, it would have taken him less than half this time, as he already has the template and it's a case of substituting last years figures for this years, plus he knows his way around HMRCs website.  The only stumbling block now is filing my return with HMRC, hence the requirement for some compliant software.  Alternatively, I could ask my ex accountant how much he would charge to file my return, given that I have worked out all the figures.   

Steve,      I run every receipt though my accountant, she then throws out what I can't clam for - something's I can claim for such as going to football matches train ticket there and beer plus ticket to get in - I can claim for , and I do about 15 games a year - yea sure I have to pay her but guess what I claim for that as well - 

too much of a headache and if you get it wrong they hound you down - have fun 

5 hours ago, ZoomSoulBlue said:

Steve,      I run every receipt though my accountant, she then throws out what I can't clam for - something's I can claim for such as going to football matches train ticket there and beer plus ticket to get in - I can claim for , and I do about 15 games a year - yea sure I have to pay her but guess what I claim for that as well - 

too much of a headache and if you get it wrong they hound you down - have fun 

I'm sorted for this year thanks to the kind help from one of the members on here.  Does your accountant list Ken Dodd as one of her clients by any chance?

I admire anyone who can do tax stuff - I can't be bothered with the headache of it all either, so would rather pay knowing it is done correctly.

My comment not much help really - Sorry (Unless it helps justify paying someone to do it)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, LEN said:

I admire anyone who can do tax stuff - I can't be bothered with the headache of it all either, so would rather pay knowing it is done correctly.

My comment not much help really - Sorry (Unless it helps justify paying someone to do it)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Trouble is, more and more people are going self-employed, or are being classed as self-employed, resulting in more work for both the taxman and accountants.  All down to this so called "gig" economy.

1 hour ago, mike said:

not sure of your needs but software wise taxcalc may be worth a look?

Thanks Mike, I just need a way of converting my return into iXRBL for filing on the HMRC website.  One of this site's members has kindly offered to do this for me, and hopefully in future the taxman will increase the threshold for earnings for rental properties that currently prevents me and probably just about everybody else who rents property from using their website directly.  Currently, if you earn more than £100 a week from property you need to either use iXBRL compliant software like taxcalc, sage etc, or pay somebody with the software to do it for you.  A lot of companies have popped up who offer to convert financial statements from Word or Excel into iXBRL, although I do believe that once you complete your return on the Companies House website, you can then download it in iXBRL direct from their website.  However, I don"t know if there's enough information on the return you file with Companies House for the taxman.

Steve

I had similar problem to you i.e. some income that the HMRC system couldn't handle - so I found this website and have used for about 10 years now.

For me it is just Personal Tax Return but I see that they have procedures for Company Tax Returns as well.

It was a bit of a learning curve (as most things are) but now it is just a case of putting numbers in the right boxes on a spreadsheet pressing a button and shortly after that I get email confirmation of receipt by HMRC.

Never had any comeback and years when I have been due a rebate it has been in my bank account in 3/4 days. :)

Not saying it is right for you but one that I am happy with and will continue to use. Cost this year was £12.99 which for me is money well spent.

Mark

http://www.sa2000.co.uk/

3 minutes ago, MBarrett said:

Steve

I had similar problem to you i.e. some income that the HMRC system couldn't handle - so I found this website and have used for about 10 years now.

For me it is just Personal Tax Return but I see that they have procedures for Company Tax Returns as well.

It was a bit of a learning curve (as most things are) but now it is just a case of putting numbers in the right boxes on a spreadsheet pressing a button and shortly after that I get email confirmation of receipt by HMRC.

Never had any comeback and years when I have been due a rebate it has been in my bank account in 3/4 days. :)

Not saying it is right for you but one that I am happy with and will continue to use. Cost this year was £12.99 which for me is money well spent.

Mark

http://www.sa2000.co.uk/

Thanks Mark, I'll bear that one in mind for the future.  I like the fact that you can download the software free and only have to pay if you want to file a return using it.

1 minute ago, Steve S 60 said:

Thanks Mark, I'll bear that one in mind for the future.  I like the fact that you can download the software free and only have to pay if you want to file a return using it.

Absolutely Steve. You can download the spreadsheet and see if you like what you see. If you don't just forget it and it hasn't cost you a penny.

Join or log in now!

Comments are members only

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Related Soul Music Links