what is the oldest (by first written date) side on an NS release

hope it's not be on thread before?

(Bobbi & Michi) The Sound of Soul ‘Wrapped Up Tight’, JOSIE 972. 

The A side is ‘Stranger in Paradise’ - a popular song from the musical Kismet (1953), and is credited to Robert Wright and George Forrest. 

There must be other generally known NS releases to have an earlier first written date than this.

What are they?

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Bebu silvetti. Spring rain , based on a composition by Argentine composer Alberto Williams  circa1880's 🎶🎶🎶😉. 

Social source share

bok to bach - springs to mind after above one by Steve

what classical piece is that based on?

one old but not as old 
listened to a recording of the 'put your loving arms around me' song that was first recorded back in 1910
music notes from the videos say that  it was part of a show/revue titled The Sherrys (!) back then in 1910 and also a photo of joe cook shows up on a similar dated/titled sheet music

was sure read that  four seasons Opus 17 was based on some classical piece but nah seems it wasnt https://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=25007

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 06/07/2017 at 17:38, geeselad said:

spent time looking if there was a northern version of green sleeves last night,lol

Presumably by King Henry VIII with vocal backing by his Six Wives. Very hard to find on original vinyl.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

When I bought a boot of the Sherrys my and was plying it in my bedroom whilst coming in to land my mum bounced in saying 'ooh I remeber this from tye war'... Another one was Goodnight Irene.

Hate the record, but as biggies go how about Can't Help Loving Dat Man? It's from Porgy & Bess - Gershwin 1935.

Dx

Social source share

Something of a quirky thread this. Is it a trick question? At risk of sounding too pedantic, as Northern (as we originally regarded it to be) was the Motown influenced local label spinoffs in the 60's, particularly the later pre-Los Angeles era, the vintage sounds were mainly generated between 1966 and 1969. Most of the local labels, and those of the majors for thst matter, did not have a date on them in any case. If we are talking 45's on vinyl, up-tempo classic Northern, with a date on the label, I think I would plump for a Detroit release produced by the moonlighting Motown house band musicians, maybe in 1966.

For the record, Phil's Wall of Sound tunes have been excluded as being too white, too teeny, too girly and Phil was unavailable to comment.

Social source share

31 minutes ago, Northern Soul UK said:

Surely it has to be Ila Vann - Can't stop loving dat man of mine, originally from the movie 'Showboat' in 1936?
Why they even start Northern Dancing at the end :-)

they spin, they clap, the leg work, finially we have the true origin of northern soul dancing!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 01:41, Northern Soul UK said:

Surely it has to be Ila Vann - Can't stop loving dat man of mine, originally from the movie 'Showboat' in 1936?

great clip!

Social source share

On 06/07/2017 at 15:39, mike said:

bok to bach - springs to mind after above one by Steve

what classical piece is that based on?

one old but not as old 
listened to a recording of the 'put your loving arms around me' song that was first recorded back in 1910
music notes from the videos say that  it was part of a show/revue titled The Sherrys (!) back then in 1910 and also a photo of joe cook shows up on a similar dated/titled sheet music

was sure read that  four seasons Opus 17 was based on some classical piece but nah seems it wasnt https://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=25007

I remember playing The Sherrys at home in the 70's ,and my Mum saying that she knew the song from when she was young in the 1940's .

Social source share

On 08/07/2017 at 01:41, Northern Soul UK said:

I'm sure that was recorded at soul in the sun last year?

Kirsty

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!