Northern SOUL BO-LL-OX...!!

Mal C

The descriptions people write to sell 45's have always been entertaining, from the rambling one pagers to seemingly short statements like one I just read on FB, apparently "Garnet mimms 'prove it to me'  is still under the radar" ?

Now if you can honestly say that this fabulous classic 6ts 45 is under the Collectors radar, you might also say that rome was in fact built in a day, The capital of Australia is Sydney,  urrr no it's it's Canberra actually, Tomatoes are a vegetable, urrr nope they are a fruit, Carrots help you see in the dark, nope they just have allot of vitamin A....

see utter Northern soul BO-LL-OX that is.... and who ever wrote that must have had his fingers, his legs and his eye's crossed while he typed it out...

Lets not see anybody trying to pull the same compendious even blasphemous Northern BO-LL-OX on here pls, we love our classics, lets give em their due...

Soul 'BO-LL-OX' police in da place !

• Helpful 3
Social source share

If PROVE IT TO ME is under the radar then most of my box is full of obscure unknowns:).Its Surely one of the most well known Northern oldies of all time.

Agree about the sales crap spouted by some but you have just got to look through it as its been going on for ever.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

9 hours ago, Mal C said:

The descriptions people write to sell 45's have always been entertaining, from the rambling one pagers to seemingly short statements like one I just read on FB, apparently "Garnet mimms 'prove it to me'  is still under the radar" ?

Now if you can honestly say that this fabulous classic 6ts 45 is under the Collectors radar, you might also say that rome was in fact built in a day, The capital of Australia is Sydney,  urrr no it's it's Canberra actually, Tomatoes are a vegetable, urrr nope they are a fruit, Carrots help you see in the dark, nope they just have allot of vitamin A....

see utter Northern soul BO-LL-OX that is.... and who ever wrote that must have had his fingers, his legs and his eye's crossed while he typed it out...

Lets not see anybody trying to pull the same compendious even blasphemous Northern BO-LL-OX on here pls, we love our classics, lets give em their due...

Soul 'BO-LL-OX' police in da place !

Nice one Mal.

There was one on here just last week I think which described a certain record as "semi known" and "right for todays DJ" or words to that effect. I nearly choked on my fecking cornflakes, it was hugely popular sound mid - late 70's Wigan and was booted to meet demand !! You can still buy the boot for a couple of quid or so.

Now I don't mind someone giving their opinion of a record like "nice uptempo northern" or such, but when the record is a well known oldie.......come on. What's next Sam Williams and the Tomangos as the latest "new discoveries just ripe for today" ?

CD2.png

Edited by Andy Mac
spelling
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, mike said:

moved the topic out of freebasing to box as more collectory/vinyl related

thumbs up

mike

stunned, I thought that outburst would, should be kicked into Freebasing... lol   I do like the Soul Police Cease and Desist Andy, made me chuckle that...  in regard to what is 'Under the Radar' shall we save this thread and come up with some credible ones...

how about, The Drivers feat Chuck Freeman - Blackbird in Despair on American Int Records, cheap very nice crossover sound, its not gonna be a dance floor track, but allot on here don't care about that..

any more?

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

I love the descriptions / blurb 

"sounds great today"

'"Could go big with a few spins"

my favourite possibly "getting spins " or "picking up plays"

as mentioned already ...."under the radar" always a good one. 

"One for the more discerning dj" 

been a few masters of the art over the years 

Sometimes require a pinch of salt but long may it continue I say 👍

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

So right for today's punters  .bloody unbelievable as if we don't know a good tune  or two,  and this from a 25 year old spiv kid  😂😤

Social source share

i reckon some new descriptions are long over due...like:

"flogging a dead horse"

"money for old rope"

"cant make a silk purse from a sows ear"

these descriptions would suit 499 of the top 500 ....haha just joking,dont shoot me!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Gogs
2 hours ago, dobber said:

i reckon some new descriptions are long over due...like:

"flogging a dead horse"

"money for old rope"

"cant make a silk purse from a sows ear"

these descriptions would suit 499 of the top 500 ....haha just joking,dont shoot me!

Not going to happen , but they should. some descriptions beggar belief.

Social source share

Prove it!

Although it's familiar to me, I could not have sung any lines from it, without hearing it again via the tinternet...as I don't have a copy!

Put it to the test! How many folks know this tune:

On another angle, exposing the track gets it some more recognition outside the collectors!

It fits nice with the policy of several events that refuse to play top 500 !

Ed

• Helpful 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, tomangoes said:

Prove it!

Although it's familiar to me, I could not have sung any lines from it, without hearing it again via the tinternet...as I don't have a copy!

On another angle, exposing the track gets it some more recognition outside the collectors!

Ed

Its a good point you are making here outside collectors and people who listen to a lot of soul music a lot of these great records aren't as well known as you expect them to be or think they are.

i started on listening to soul music very late compared to some so missed a lot of what many regard as old classics.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I usually find the longer and more elaborate the sales spiel the more shit the record usually is...

As for Prove it to me being unknown, what planet have they been living on...

I got a record through a couple of years back that had sales notes on the cover, it was marked up as "crap dancer" 

Edited by R Soul
Social source share

I tried to remember the words and couldn't but that's because I don't hear the tune played every week, think the sales garb might have pitched it wrong... an underplayed gem might have been more accurate. But I don't blame sellers for enhancing the description as they are selling; I love the Manship auction brief, mind you he does sell some gems that don't need any enhancement. A few weeks ago I got asked for this tune and Shirley Karol at an event and didn't have them in the box so put it them my box on Friday in readiness and then no one asked for them.....  Hey ho....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, dylan said:

Its a good point you are making here outside collectors and people who listen to a lot of soul music a lot of these great records aren't as well known as you expect them to be or think they are.

i started on listening to soul music very late compared to some so missed a lot of what many regard as old classics.

Almost 1200 views to this topic, and only a handful who appear to be very familiar to this track.

Maybe the author is giving too much credit to the viewers knowledge of GM tracks outside of looking for you! 

Ed

• Helpful 2
Social source share

12 hours ago, tomangoes said:

Prove it!

Ed

played it several times at Nuneaton its a oldie that always had plays in the east midlands ,

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I would be amazed if anyone who has been around the scene for 20 plus years is not familiar with Prove It.A classic oldie i have heard regularly over the years at many oldies nights all regions.

Granted( Looking For You ) is better known.Most will also know of the best of the bunch from Garnet Mimms with the awesome (As Long As I Have You) the LP or french 45 version

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Patto said:

I would be amazed if anyone who has been around the scene for 20 plus years is not familiar with Prove It.A classic oldie i have heard regularly over the years at many oldies nights all regions.

Granted( Looking For You ) is better known.Most will also know of the best of the bunch from Garnet Mimms with the awesome (As Long As I Have You) the LP or french 45 version

The French version is a bit mid tempo, I prefer the UK live version..... its got balls but perhaps a bit quick for old legs.....lol 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 10/07/2017 at 17:41, tomangoes said:

Almost 1200 views to this topic, and only a handful who appear to be very familiar to this track.

Maybe the author is giving too much credit to the viewers knowledge of GM tracks outside of looking for you! 

Ed

nope...  staple collectors record, there are loads of copies of this about, tons of em... been played on and off for donkeys years...

good record though isn't it...  :-)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!