Fred Mark

Same backing track on five tracks I know of, bit strange some of these singles have hit big money anyone got any more to add or a reason why he released at least these five records with the same backing track? Or has it been talked about before?

Fred Mark - Someone to talk (Concept 925), Fred Mark - After All I'm Human Too (Omega 813), Fred Mark - Continue To Love (Concept 910), Fred Mark - Dance With Me (Omega 842), Fred Mark - I'm Coming Home (Omega 812)

Kirsty

• Helpful 1
Social source share

42 minutes ago, Gold Band said:

Same backing track on five tracks I know of, bit strange some of these singles have hit big money anyone got any more to add or a reason why he released at least these five records with the same backing track? Or has it been talked about before?

Fred Mark - Someone to talk (Concept 925), Fred Mark - After All I'm Human Too (Omega 813), Fred Mark - Continue To Love (Concept 910), Fred Mark - Dance With Me (Omega 842), Fred Mark - I'm Coming Home (Omega 812)

Kirsty

Well spotted Kirsty. Thanks for posting. I was on the verge of starting a similar thread as it's not been done before. You mention Fred Mark - Dance With Me on Omega, a copy currently up for auction at $91 finishing later today: not yet heard it yet but you confirm this is the same track but presumably with a different vocal. I started a thread on the quantity of this track that had just sold at auction a few weeks ago. The Omega story is not well known and does not rate a mention in the Philly Soul books. There is a brief reference to how Fred Mark would cut a track for DJ airplay but not be pressed up: evidently, he kept experimenting and maybe settled for the Dance With Me track which appears to be the only one that has survived in quantity. I will add details of further tracks later.

Social source share

Lo and behold, another copy of Dance With Me up for grabs at a Buy It Now price of $49. The soundbite confirms it is the same track with a vocal variation, perhaps somewhat inferior to the other releases. The original buyout is now with at least two other dealers so the record will be trickling into venues shortly with three sources competing to sell this.

Social source share

My spontaneous imagination tells me that he's a "wanna be" singer that spent all his savings in a recorded backing track. Took a tape of it back home an trained to sing on it under the shower, doing the dishes and sitting on the loo. After a week his wife left him, the cat found refuge with the neighbor and the canari committed suicide soon after hearing the "song" over and over again all day long. To have only one vanity record was not enough... Have more ! :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

16 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Lo and behold, another copy of Dance With Me up for grabs at a Buy It Now price of $49. The soundbite confirms it is the same track with a vocal variation, perhaps somewhat inferior to the other releases. The original buyout is now with at least two other dealers so the record will be trickling into venues shortly with three sources competing to sell this.

I've watched these auctions with interest wondering if it used the same backing. I have a copy of "someone to talk to" and I think it's a great record, the lyrics fit the music well but a quick listen to "dance with me" RUBBISH. 

Thought these were song poems? Like the Rodd Keith.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Picking up from where I left off earlier and thanks to the above posters for clarifying a few details. I make it 11 versions of the same backing track but with a different vocal, delivered by a variety of artists but largely featuring Fred Mark who may be Mark or Mark Jarjisian, time will tell.

Mark-I Want To Live-Mel Omega 1832

Fred Mark-I'm Coming Home-Omega 812

Fred Mark-Dance With Me-Omega 842

Fred Mark-After All I'm Human Too-Omega 813

Liza Mae-Breakaway-Omega 846

Chase Randall-Maltese Summer-???

The Petersons-What's It Gonna Be-Mel Omega 1833

Thom Macke-Mr Business Man-Omega 831

Fred Mark-Someone To Talk To-Concept 925

Fred Mark-Continue To Love-Concept 910

Willie Eliza Pugh-Don't Leave Me In The Dark-Fox    Century Plaza 119

So, is this a PB for the number of similar releases by a single artist or label-family? Also curious to learn which was the earliest version - suspect the Mel Omega releases may have preceded The Omega and Concept numbers? Where is Andy Rix when you need him?

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
Another version added. Typo.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Another to add to the list sold at auction last night. Fred Mark-'IGot A Feeling For You'-Omega832. Sold for $262 in G condition with several flaws. Sound bite was good and comparable to 'I'm Coming Home' - certainly better than 'Dance With Me' which is currently up for grabs in two auctions. This makes it 12 different vocal versions for the same backing track.

Social source share

I've noticed all the Fred Mark tracks with audio above, and "I Got A Feeling For You" are exactly the same "vocal" tune. I'm sure there's a few more Liza Mae on both of the two labels, plus "If These People Could Hear My Story" on 20th Century Plaza acetate, which may or may not have been released.

Has to be one of the most used backings, probably surpasses the other one (7 days 52 weeks etc.)

Petersons is the one for me though.

Cheers
Mick

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

I've noticed all the Fred Mark tracks with audio above, and "I Got A Feeling For You" are exactly the same "vocal" tune. I'm sure there's a few more Liza Mae on both of the two labels, plus "If These People Could Hear My Story" on 20th Century Plaza acetate, which may or may not have been released.

Has to be one of the most used backings, probably surpasses the other one (7 days 52 weeks etc.)

Petersons is the one for me though.

Cheers
Mick

Petersons is a very good version, and certainly one to chase down. Trouble is though, it's very rare and pretty expensive. I'm resigned to not owning all versions now, and wasn't too upset when I didn't win 'I Got A Feeling For You' given the condition it was in.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 9/12/2017 at 17:48, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Petersons is a very good version, and certainly one to chase down. Trouble is though, it's very rare and pretty expensive. I'm resigned to not owning all versions now, and wasn't too upset when I didn't win 'I Got A Feeling For You' given the condition it was in.

I am, glad I'm not the only one collecting them!! Well Fred Mark's anyway - I too was not too upset with not getting"I got a Feeling for you" given the price against condition! I have never heard of 'I Want to Live' though, so need to look out for that.

Anyway another for the list I have is... Fred Mark - 'You Gotta Roll With the Punches" Concept 940.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Dave Abbott said:

I am, glad I'm not the only one collecting them!! Well Fred Mark's anyway - I too was not too upset with not getting"I got a Feeling for you" given the price against condition! I have never heard of 'I Want to Live' though, so need to look out for that.

Anyway another for the list I have is... Fred Mark - 'You Gotta Roll With the Punches" Concept 940.

Thanks for this - it brings the total to 13 versions. 'I Want To Live' only came out of the woodwork recently and the artist is simply Mark - it is on the Mel Omega label which I suspect is the precursor to the Omega label. Really need some Philly experts to shine a light on this one.

Social source share

On 9/20/2017 at 18:03, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Thanks for this - it brings the total to 13 versions. 'I Want To Live' only came out of the woodwork recently and the artist is simply Mark - it is on the Mel Omega label which I suspect is the precursor to the Omega label. Really need some Philly experts to shine a light on this one.

You could make it 14 as The Petersons also came out as Toll Darkness, though with stickers stuck over the Petersons bands name (I am not sure if any were actually printed on the label as Toll Darkness).

Steve G I'm sure knows about the labels and the owner(s).

Edited by Dave Abbott
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

After some digging I noticed the name Frank Fioravanti kept appearing everywhere on the Omega, Mel-Omega and Sound Gems labels

It's probs well known but thought would share in case and as I don't do facebook someone might want to contact him and get the credit for his story or write "another book" :)

I found this thread discussing stuff

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
More info
Social source share

• 7 months later...

Well, I just found another one.  Liza-May (aka Liza-Mae) on Omega 811.  "Little Girl" is the song title on this one, same backing track.  The other side is "I Want To Be Happy", which is the same backing track as her song "I Got A Juicy Mouth Baby".  I went ahead and put it up on youtube:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Another one is Kisha "Keep Your Love" on Fox Century Plaza Records. James Alexander looks like the artist and Kisha the songwriter. But it's a woman singing. Supposedly the same Kisha that did "I'm Just Raring" on Omega.

201129719992.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

I did try and make a list of the titles using the backing tracks of the songs below:

The Petersons   “Just What I’ve Been Looking For/What’s It's Gonna Be                                    

Release Date Monday April 24th 2023

‘The Petersons’ were a vocal trio from Waycross, GA, their performing name came from their founder, lead vocalist and drummer Kenneth Peterson, along with Keyboard player Salem Chatman and vocalist/bassist Johnny Members. The trio regularly performed shows along America’s East Coast, and it was while working in Philadelphia during early 1973 that the group answered an advertisement in Billboard Magazine quote “Masters Turned Down? We Are Looking for New Acts to Sign, Contact Omega Sound Productions, Philadelphia, PA”.

Omega Sound was a fledgling independent Recording Company formed by Frank Fioravanti a budding songwriter and former Encyclopedia Britannica Salesman for the initial purpose of find some extra work for the musicians of The Philadelphia Orchestra who were looking to earn some side money. As a result of answering the Billboard advertisement ‘The Petersons’ found themselves booked into Frank Virtue’s recording studio to record two Fioravanti and the late Alan Felder penned songs, the up-tempo “What’s It Gonna Be” backed by the melodic “Just What I’ve Been Looking For” Mel Omega (1833). With the release failing to make much noise, The Petersons returned to their native Georgia where they continuing to perform and record but under the group name of ‘Toll Darkness’. Fast forward circa 30 years and a couple of copies of this obscure Mel Omega 45 was introduced into the UK by Soul Bowl’s John Anderson where they gained belated recognition initially at the Soul Essence Weekenders through resident DJ Steve Guarnori with “Just What I’ve Been Looking For” being his chosen side. These initial copies had a paper sticker on them crediting the Artist as ‘Toll Darkness’ but the subsequent find of further copies with no sticker coverings, revealed the real artist to be ‘The Petersons’, intriguing? The reason behind the differing artist names is reputedly assumed to be that Ken Peterson took some copies of the Mel Omega 45 back to Georgia and pasted the ‘Toll Darkness’ group name stickers over the Petersons label credits to enable him to sell them at shows with his other ‘Toll Darkness’ 45 “Party/Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things on Alpha Records. The up-tempo backing track of The Peterson’s “What’s It Gonna Be” was a Frank Virtue arrangement that he had great faith in, hence it’s usage on a plethora of other Philly artists recordings, i.e. Fred Mark, Liza Mae, Michael Christian, Cody Michaels etc over different record labels, Melomega, Concept, Fox Century Plaza and Merben.  

Frank Fioravanti also founded the Sound Gems label which brought us the timeless classic “Your My Main Squeeze” recorded on the New Beford, MA group ‘Crystal Motion’. Omega Sound’s most notable achievement would be William DeVaughn’s 1974 hit “Be Thankful For What You Got”.

For further information please contact Soul Junction at:

Tel: +44 (0) 121 602 8115 or E-mail: sales@souljunctionrecords.co.uk

Social source share

On 18/02/2024 at 03:24, Sebastian said:

Another one is Kisha "Keep Your Love" on Fox Century Plaza Records. James Alexander looks like the artist and Kisha the songwriter. But it's a woman singing. Supposedly the same Kisha that did "I'm Just Raring" on Omega.

201129719992.jpg

Kisha is the artist/singer. This particular song poem label highlights the lyric writer.

Social source share

13 hours ago, Ez said:

Kisha is the artist/singer. This particular song poem label highlights the lyric writer.

I've edited the Discogs entry to reflect this.

Would be good if the entire Fox Century Plaza discography on Discogs was overhauled like this.

Wonder who "A. Brown" is?

https://www.discogs.com/release/29808745-A-Brown-13-Kisha-Conception-Keep-Your-Love

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

So... with the info from the ad above I'm trying to figure out Fox Century Plaza's modus operandi for making money...

It seems like you sent your poems/lyrics to FCP, then they created versions by letting demo singers sing over pre-exisiting backing tracks, then they made acetate(s) of these which they sent to the songwriter.

Like they did to Doug Wass here:
https://www.45cat.com/record/nc892980us
and here:
https://www.45cat.com/record/nc359805us

Then, if they approved of the acetate recordings, finalized Fox Century Plaza label 45s were pressed up for a fee.

Does that make sense?

Has anyone got any of the original paperwork from the label?

Social source share

That absolutely makes sense Sebastian. I've got this acetate here, including the original sleeve it was send in and I have a couple more 45s and acetates on the label. Some of the releases on the label are musically really good, but most sound like they where recorded under a blanket. There's a Philly guy, whose name escapes me right now, who collects the label. He might have more information.

pauljquinn1.jpeg

pauljquinn2.jpeg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Docfish said:

That absolutely makes sense Sebastian. I've got this acetate here, including the original sleeve it was send in and I have a couple more 45s and acetates on the label. Some of the releases on the label are musically really good, but most sound like they where recorded under a blanket. There's a Philly guy, whose name escapes me right now, who collects the label. He might have more information.

That’s great info!

I’ve just found two 45s on the label with vocals by Ann Byers, but they don’t show up as such on Discogs or other discographies because most people cite the ”lyrics/poem writers” as the artist. I’ll edit the Discogs entries when I get the time to do it. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!