Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Gold Band profile photo

Fred Mark

Look At Your Box Gold Band

 
Posted

Same backing track on five tracks I know of, bit strange some of these singles have hit big money anyone got any more to add or a reason why he released at least these five records with the same backing track? Or has it been talked about before?

Fred Mark - Someone to talk (Concept 925), Fred Mark - After All I'm Human Too (Omega 813), Fred Mark - Continue To Love (Concept 910), Fred Mark - Dance With Me (Omega 842), Fred Mark - I'm Coming Home (Omega 812)

Kirsty

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
42 minutes ago, Gold Band said:

Same backing track on five tracks I know of, bit strange some of these singles have hit big money anyone got any more to add or a reason why he released at least these five records with the same backing track? Or has it been talked about before?

Fred Mark - Someone to talk (Concept 925), Fred Mark - After All I'm Human Too (Omega 813), Fred Mark - Continue To Love (Concept 910), Fred Mark - Dance With Me (Omega 842), Fred Mark - I'm Coming Home (Omega 812)

Kirsty

Well spotted Kirsty. Thanks for posting. I was on the verge of starting a similar thread as it's not been done before. You mention Fred Mark - Dance With Me on Omega, a copy currently up for auction at $91 finishing later today: not yet heard it yet but you confirm this is the same track but presumably with a different vocal. I started a thread on the quantity of this track that had just sold at auction a few weeks ago. The Omega story is not well known and does not rate a mention in the Philly Soul books. There is a brief reference to how Fred Mark would cut a track for DJ airplay but not be pressed up: evidently, he kept experimenting and maybe settled for the Dance With Me track which appears to be the only one that has survived in quantity. I will add details of further tracks later.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Lo and behold, another copy of Dance With Me up for grabs at a Buy It Now price of $49. The soundbite confirms it is the same track with a vocal variation, perhaps somewhat inferior to the other releases. The original buyout is now with at least two other dealers so the record will be trickling into venues shortly with three sources competing to sell this.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

My spontaneous imagination tells me that he's a "wanna be" singer that spent all his savings in a recorded backing track. Took a tape of it back home an trained to sing on it under the shower, doing the dishes and sitting on the loo. After a week his wife left him, the cat found refuge with the neighbor and the canari committed suicide soon after hearing the "song" over and over again all day long. To have only one vanity record was not enough... Have more ! :lol:

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
16 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Lo and behold, another copy of Dance With Me up for grabs at a Buy It Now price of $49. The soundbite confirms it is the same track with a vocal variation, perhaps somewhat inferior to the other releases. The original buyout is now with at least two other dealers so the record will be trickling into venues shortly with three sources competing to sell this.

I've watched these auctions with interest wondering if it used the same backing. I have a copy of "someone to talk to" and I think it's a great record, the lyrics fit the music well but a quick listen to "dance with me" RUBBISH. 

Thought these were song poems? Like the Rodd Keith.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

This topic deals with this group of labels.

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

there are also female versions of tge song on the omega label

liza mae breakaway

and another female version,i forget what it is,but there is certainly one other at least.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
8 minutes ago, MAG said:

yeah thats the other female version,its actually liza mae,same backing as breakaway,just different words...breakaway is better!

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

another male version is Thom Macke-Mr.business man on Omega

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Picking up from where I left off earlier and thanks to the above posters for clarifying a few details. I make it 11 versions of the same backing track but with a different vocal, delivered by a variety of artists but largely featuring Fred Mark who may be Mark or Mark Jarjisian, time will tell.

Mark-I Want To Live-Mel Omega 1832

Fred Mark-I'm Coming Home-Omega 812

Fred Mark-Dance With Me-Omega 842

Fred Mark-After All I'm Human Too-Omega 813

Liza Mae-Breakaway-Omega 846

Chase Randall-Maltese Summer-???

The Petersons-What's It Gonna Be-Mel Omega 1833

Thom Macke-Mr Business Man-Omega 831

Fred Mark-Someone To Talk To-Concept 925

Fred Mark-Continue To Love-Concept 910

Willie Eliza Pugh-Don't Leave Me In The Dark-Fox    Century Plaza 119

So, is this a PB for the number of similar releases by a single artist or label-family? Also curious to learn which was the earliest version - suspect the Mel Omega releases may have preceded The Omega and Concept numbers? Where is Andy Rix when you need him?

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
Another version added. Typo.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

tell you what,they had faith in this backing track didnt they! haha

liza mae breakaway is defo the best!

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Another to add to the list sold at auction last night. Fred Mark-'IGot A Feeling For You'-Omega832. Sold for $262 in G condition with several flaws. Sound bite was good and comparable to 'I'm Coming Home' - certainly better than 'Dance With Me' which is currently up for grabs in two auctions. This makes it 12 different vocal versions for the same backing track.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I've noticed all the Fred Mark tracks with audio above, and "I Got A Feeling For You" are exactly the same "vocal" tune. I'm sure there's a few more Liza Mae on both of the two labels, plus "If These People Could Hear My Story" on 20th Century Plaza acetate, which may or may not have been released.

Has to be one of the most used backings, probably surpasses the other one (7 days 52 weeks etc.)

Petersons is the one for me though.

Cheers
Mick

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

I've noticed all the Fred Mark tracks with audio above, and "I Got A Feeling For You" are exactly the same "vocal" tune. I'm sure there's a few more Liza Mae on both of the two labels, plus "If These People Could Hear My Story" on 20th Century Plaza acetate, which may or may not have been released.

Has to be one of the most used backings, probably surpasses the other one (7 days 52 weeks etc.)

Petersons is the one for me though.

Cheers
Mick

 

Petersons is a very good version, and certainly one to chase down. Trouble is though, it's very rare and pretty expensive. I'm resigned to not owning all versions now, and wasn't too upset when I didn't win 'I Got A Feeling For You' given the condition it was in.

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 9/12/2017 at 17:48, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Petersons is a very good version, and certainly one to chase down. Trouble is though, it's very rare and pretty expensive. I'm resigned to not owning all versions now, and wasn't too upset when I didn't win 'I Got A Feeling For You' given the condition it was in.

I am, glad I'm not the only one collecting them!! Well Fred Mark's anyway - I too was not too upset with not getting"I got a Feeling for you" given the price against condition! I have never heard of 'I Want to Live' though, so need to look out for that.

Anyway another for the list I have is... Fred Mark - 'You Gotta Roll With the Punches" Concept 940.

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Abbott said:

I am, glad I'm not the only one collecting them!! Well Fred Mark's anyway - I too was not too upset with not getting"I got a Feeling for you" given the price against condition! I have never heard of 'I Want to Live' though, so need to look out for that.

Anyway another for the list I have is... Fred Mark - 'You Gotta Roll With the Punches" Concept 940.

Thanks for this - it brings the total to 13 versions. 'I Want To Live' only came out of the woodwork recently and the artist is simply Mark - it is on the Mel Omega label which I suspect is the precursor to the Omega label. Really need some Philly experts to shine a light on this one.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 9/20/2017 at 18:03, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Thanks for this - it brings the total to 13 versions. 'I Want To Live' only came out of the woodwork recently and the artist is simply Mark - it is on the Mel Omega label which I suspect is the precursor to the Omega label. Really need some Philly experts to shine a light on this one.

 

You could make it 14 as The Petersons also came out as Toll Darkness, though with stickers stuck over the Petersons bands name (I am not sure if any were actually printed on the label as Toll Darkness).

Steve G I'm sure knows about the labels and the owner(s).

Edited by Dave Abbott
  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

After some digging I noticed the name Frank Fioravanti kept appearing everywhere on the Omega, Mel-Omega and Sound Gems labels

https://www.linkedin.com/in/frank-fioravanti-73441b2b

It's probs well known but thought would share in case and as I don't do facebook someone might want to contact him and get the credit for his story or write "another book" :)

https://www.facebook.com/frank.fioravanti.9/about?lst=100028249085330%3A1839135229%3A1548139615&section=contact-info

I found this thread discussing stuff

 

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
More info

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Well, I just found another one.  Liza-May (aka Liza-Mae) on Omega 811.  "Little Girl" is the song title on this one, same backing track.  The other side is "I Want To Be Happy", which is the same backing track as her song "I Got A Juicy Mouth Baby".  I went ahead and put it up on youtube:

 

 

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.