KARMELLO BROOKS

Billywhizz

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 

3 hours ago, Alan Walls said:

What, really? Man oh man...😩

I think I bought one off you alan ( or one of the Scottish guys) early 90s £80.... you had 2 copies that night .... I swapped it for 4 arts "who do you think you are" shee ..... I still think I got the better record even if the prices don't match ...lol

Edited by cobbles
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, cobbles said:

I think I bought one off you alan ( or one of the Scottish guys) early 90s £80.... you had 2 copies that night .... I swapped it for 4 arts "who do you think you are" shee ..... I still think I got the better record even if the prices don't match ...lol

So you got it - good for you! :thumbsup:

Safe to say it was me who sold it to you but I had the one and only copy for years up here. Not that we regarded it as being particularly rare, it's just that by the time I sold it, it's time had been and gone. I played it for a year or so at the Glenrothes YM niters & soul nights up here, and at Leicester Oddfellows, mid 80's, then retired it from regular play. I sold it on the strength of it once being popular among the handful of friends, family members and people I bribed to dance!

So is it genuinely rare or is the price driven by demand? I'm quite stunned at Chalkie's £2.5k!

Social source share

3 hours ago, Alan Walls said:

Safe to say it was me who sold it to you but I had the one and only copy for years up here. Not that we regarded it as being particularly rare, it's just that by the time I sold it, it's time had been and gone. I played it for a year or so at the Glenrothes YM niters & soul nights up here, and at Leicester Oddfellows, mid 80's, then retired it from regular play. I sold it on the strength of it once being popular among the handful of friends, family members and people I bribed to dance!

So is it genuinely rare or is the price driven by demand? I'm quite stunned at Chalkie's £2.5k!

When Andy Spencer sold up 1985/86 time he sold it for £25 apparently. 

Social source share

I bought mine off Pete Crampton when he sold up, maybe '84? KB and Andrea Henry for £15 each, and a tidy little Detroit number by The Masqueraders called 'How', for £8...:ohmy: Them were't days...

also on the sales tape, off the top of my head, was The Gentlemen Four on Wand, Isonics - Sugar, Imperial C's, Royal Robbins - Something About You...it was where I first heard and got the notion to buy and play Roy Hamilton - Panic Is On and Celeste Hardie - You're Gone...

Edited by Alan Walls
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Bought a copy off Butch circa 1995 for £100 ( Raven Whitchurch) gave him £106 for that and the soul brothers six " I'll be Loving you" and sold it along with all my other US 45's in 2002 .  

Its my all time No 1 so when I started collecting again in 2007 ish  it was always one i was after, missed a couple and the price has slowly risen up to £2.4 K

I know somebody who paid that for a copy ( it wasn't me) but i was not far off. 

Good luck with your search it was 10 years for me 2nd time !!! 

Edited by spook
Social source share

6 hours ago, Alan Walls said:

Hi Alan,

IMO its another one of those cases where a record is worth exactly the amount of at which someone is prepared to pay and someone else is prepared to sell. Records that are scarce but very likeable or in vogue, can sell for a lot more than their rarity would suggest, mainly because there just isn't the liquidity of that particular record in the market. Classic 'hard' (but not very rare) records do this all the time, because once in collections they are seldom let go of. An example of this might be Mel Britt for instance, an amazing classic of musical quality and affection among punters, and not common in the slightest, but certainly not in the heavyweight list of very rare records. My thoughts are that the Milestone 45 is another one of these types of records. The question is always "What would you be prepared to pay?", and the answer to that question is what it's worth to you.

Andy

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, Alan Walls said:

I bought mine off Pete Crampton when he sold up, maybe '84? KB and Andrea Henry for £15 each, and a tidy little Detroit number by The Masqueraders called 'How', for £8...:ohmy: Them were't days...

also on the sales tape, off the top of my head, was The Gentlemen Four on Wand, Isonics - Sugar, Imperial C's, Royal Robbins - Something About You...it was where I first heard and got the notion to buy and play Roy Hamilton - Panic Is On and Celeste Hardie - You're Gone...

Pete put out a sales tape at the time which included the 2 Magnetics tracks on Sable. I remember Andy Spencer buying the Lee Mckinney one for over a 100 quid i might still have the tape 

Edited by Ted Massey
Social source share

18 hours ago, spook said:

Bought a copy off Butch circa 1995 for £100 ( Raven Whitchurch) gave him £106 for that and the soul brothers six " I'll be Loving you" and sold it along with all my other US 45's in 2002 .  

Its my all time No 1 so when I started collecting again in 2007 ish  it was always one i was after, missed a couple and the price has slowly risen up to £2.4 K

I know somebody who paid that for a copy ( it wasn't me) but i was not far off. 

Good luck with your search it was 10 years for me 2nd time !!! 

I'm on my 3rd copy sold the 2 other for around 100 quid one of them to Soul Sam at Lea Manor Albrighton. I admit i paid £1600 for the last one of Paul Mckay less than 2 years ago minter thou. i had checked on Popsike and the most recent one i could find was 2013 and that was 1400 so i reckoned 1600 wasn't bad. 

Edited by Ted Massey
Social source share