Motown experts required!

8 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

No, I've just done an image source etc, and this came from Discogs, but couldn't find it anywhere else, but the face is familiar.

Cheers
Mick

Actually the bottom picture looks more like Burt Bacharach.......

Related image

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

13 hours ago, Soul-Slider said:

So who's in this picture....? Sources say it's Frank Wilson, Chris Clark and Hal Davis.

59739bd478f4a_frankwilsonchrisclarkhaldavis.jpg.38b8cbdc35549e21d81afb66d439b2d4.jpg

Also, this one say's it's Marc Gordon, Marvin Gaye and Hal Davis...

59739c2539d7b_MarcGordon_MarvinGaye_HalDavis.jpg.3ae5c2bb8407abb91ecfcc59396794e2.jpg

BUT and this is really the question, I thought THIS was HAL DAVIS....?????????????

A-160523-1401717331-4677.jpeg.jpg.ab2c49eb0816ca15222057b5e7b43c14.jpg

They are right.  Top photo: Frank Wilson on piano, other man is Hal Davis.  Middle photo: Marc Gordon on left, Hal Davis on right of Marvin.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Motown's Half Davis was producing Brenda Holloway in 1964.

Ask yourself.. Does that clean cut white guy look as though he was writing/producing then?

Somebody has cocked up...and the www has compounded the error I think.

Social source share

10 minutes ago, snakepit said:

Motown's Half Davis was producing Brenda Holloway in 1964.

Ask yourself.. Does that clean cut white guy look as though he was writing/producing then?

Somebody has cocked up...and the www has compounded the error I think.

Indeed they have lad, check this link 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/people/Hal-Davis/

I reckon thats the same guy as the seconhandsongs link above whch makes the case sol-ved.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Well done Sherlock..case closed. Let's hope somebody with more PC ability than me can correct these errors.

BTW....are Frank Wilson, Hal Davis and Chris Clark running through a unknown song called "Do I love you ( indeed I do) ?

Social source share

What's going to happen when all of us who lived during that time will be gone.  Who will be able to correct these ridiculous errors?  If such errors are made only 50 years later, how much of a realistic idea do we have about what really happened in ancient Sumeria?  In 100 years, "Ancient Alien Theory" will be accepted history, and Erich Von Däniken will be a revered expert historian!!! :lol::lol::lol:

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

20 minutes ago, chalky said:

It isn't the fault of discogs though as it is basically user input (in this case idiot input).  You can edit and correct but it needs a majority vote to change.

And then, it can be changed back to something incorrect (just as "facts" can in Wikipedia)! The "Information Age" is not 100 % a good thing.  :(

Social source share

43 minutes ago, RobbK said:

And then, it can be changed back to something incorrect (just as "facts" can in Wikipedia)! The "Information Age" is not 100 % a good thing.  :(

It isn't as easy to enter incorrect info when the correct in of is there.  It goes through a number of people and is checked.  When no info there however it is easy to enter incorrect info.

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Mickey Finn said:

Lou Johnson's "Keep that fire burning" 1979 single is credited in Discogs to Louise Johnson of the Brothers Johnson

https://www.discogs.com/Lou-Johnson-Keep-That-Fire-Burning-Wanting-You/release/5543687 

Who should it be?  Doesn't sound like the Lou Johnson of Big Top etc.  You can see in the edit history where it was credited.

Social source share

That's Louis Johnson of the Brothers Johnson ... bloody autocorrect.

Anyway, the track credited to Lou Johnson appears on the BBE comp from 2 years ago "Private Wax Volume 2", released on both vinyl and cd (download too). According to the compiler Zaf Love Vinyl (of Shoreditch) and DJ Tom Noble this is the same Lou Johnson. It sure isn't Louis Johnson of the Brothers, but I can see how age might have altered the other Lou's voice... If anyone has any further info on this it would be much appreciated.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mickey Finn said:

Anyway, the track credited to Lou Johnson appears on the BBE comp from 2 years ago "Private Wax Volume 2", released on both vinyl and cd (download too). According to the compiler Zaf Love Vinyl (of Shoreditch) and DJ Tom Noble this is the same Lou Johnson. It sure isn't Louis Johnson of the Brothers, but I can see how age might have altered the other Lou's voice... If anyone has any further info on this it would be much appreciated.

Be interesting to know for sure if it is "THE" Lou Johnson.  I can understand the voice changing with age but I didn't recognise any of the 60s Lou in the track.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

Mickey not doubting you at all (and  I haven"t heard the track, soundfile anyone?) but on the discogs link the flipside is written by Louis Johnson.

Chalky according to the Soul Harmony book the L.V. Johnson ICA  45 from 81 "I Love You, I Want You I Need You/"I Don"t Really Care" is Lou Johnson. So maybe you can compare voices on this ?

Was news to me when I checked after reading this interesting thread.

I have at least one other ICA 45 by LV Johnson which I think is a differnt singer than Lou Johnson.??

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Wasn't Lou Johnson from The Greater New York/New Jersey/Connecticut Area?  As far as I remember, L.V.Johnson was a Chicago artist.  They certainly were 2 different people.  Lou Johnson of Big Top, Big Hill and Hilltop Records was much older than L.V.  (5+ years).

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

No, definitely wouldn't confuse either Lou/Louis Johnsons with LV of Chicago, who died in 1995, and whose voice was one of a kind. Louis Johnson of the Bros Johnson died in 2015, whereas Brooklyn-born Lou Johnson seems to be still with us. Around 1979 LV was recording in Chicago for ICA Records, Louis was enjoying major success produced by Quincy Jones and sessioning on other Jones productions, and then went on to record a gospel album with wife Valerie as "Passage", released in 1981; which leaves us with the Pasadena-based Lou Jay Records, which seems to have released only a few singles, and very occasionally:

https://www.discogs.com/label/563742-Lou-Jay-Record

Just to confuse matters there was a label out of Baton Rouge also called Lou Jay that released a few in the mid-60s, but looks more rockabilly than soul:

https://www.45cat.com/label/loujay 

Involved in the Pasadena productions were Louis Johnson Jr., and Deborah Johnson, presumably family of the singer (and label owner). 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

A little more confusion for US Soul collectors who were baseball fans:  There was a baseball player named Lou Johnson (nicknamed "Sweet Lou" - for his sweet swing with the bat? - or was it his sweet singing voice?).  He played for The Chicago Cubs and Los Angeles Dodgers in the late 1950s and early 1960s.  Because Lee Maye and a couple other baseball players were also professional singers, Sweet Lou was also often confused with Big Top's Lou Johnson.  Lee Maye would record and take singing gigs mostly during the baseball offseason.  But during rare 3-day breaks between games, he'd sometimes leave the team to do some music recording (With a group, or solo).  I saw a recording of baseball's Sweet Lou Johnson singing, one time, so I know he could sing.  I don't think he ever went pro, however.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

On 7/23/2017 at 12:53, RobbK said:

Indeed. Last April 1st, I suggested that "Quark" was cheese made from duck's milk. It lasted on Wikipedia a whole week before someone deleted it ...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!