RIP BOBBY TAYLOR

49 minutes ago, David Meikle said:

Unquestionably the most underrated Motown Artist.

The vocals on 'Don't Be Afraid' are absolutely sublime.

Really sad to hear of this.

RIP Bobby

Dean penford played it of the lp at corner house yesterday just awesome 

Social source share

On 7/23/2017 at 18:27, Kris Holmes said:

Very sad news.  I interviewed Ronnie Taylor a few years back & he had some great stories about their time in the Columbus Pharaohs.  Agree that Bobby Taylor was one of the great underrated voices.  The Motown LPs are stunning.

I still have some doubts about Ronnie and Bobby Taylor's period with The 4 Pharaohs - at the very least, doubting that they ever recorded with them.  Esteemed music journalist and R&B group chronicler, Marv Goldberg, interviewed former lead singer, Morris Wade, and chronicled the group's history, without ever mentioning The Taylor Brothers.  He listed  Morris Wade, Ronald Wilson, George Smith, and Robert Lowery as the original members on all Esta, Ransome, Ranson and Nanc recordings, and also talked about their gigging days during 1961-63, between their last recordings for Howard Ransom(Esta/Ransom/Ranson) and Syd Nathan(Federal) in Ohio, and their visit to L.A. to record for Ransom again, as The Egyptian Kings in 1963 (for Nanc Records).  He talked about George Smith leaving the group and Harold Smith, being added as Pharaoh, as well as Paul Moore and Leo Blakely singing in the group after 1963.  But never mentioned the Taylors.

I know that Bobby sang with a few New York R&B groups before moving west.  He may have sung for some months with The 4 Pharaohs during 1962.  But that's likely all.  I really doubt that he recorded with them.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

On 7/23/2017 at 18:27, Kris Holmes said:

Very sad news.  I interviewed Ronnie Taylor a few years back & he had some great stories about their time in the Columbus Pharaohs.  Agree that Bobby Taylor was one of the great underrated voices.  The Motown LPs are stunning.

Thanks for mentioning his Columbus days.  I finally found a website that had the entire history of The 4 Pharaohs correct, stating that Bobby Taylor was one of the original members starting in high school, and was with them their first 2 years, from mid 1957-mid 1959. So, he was on their first 6 recorded songs on Esta and Ransom and the re-issue on Paradise. It's terrible how much misinformation exists on The internet, listing the four original members without Bobby, and mentioning he was from Baltimore and sang there and DC, and with groups in New York, but never mentioning that he lived in Ohio, and went to high school there, and that he sang with The 4 Pharaohs.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 29 July 2017 at 19:19, RobbK said:

Thanks for mentioning his Columbus days.  I finally found a website that had the entire history of The 4 Pharaohs correct, stating that Bobby Taylor was one of the original members starting in high school, and was with them their first 2 years, from mid 1957-mid 1959. So, he was on their first 6 recorded songs on Esta and Ransom and the re-issue on Paradise. It's terrible how much misinformation exists on The internet, listing the four original members without Bobby, and mentioning he was from Baltimore and sang there and DC, and with groups in New York, but never mentioning that he lived in Ohio, and went to high school there, and that he sang with The 4 Pharaohs.

Also, Ronald Wilson = Ronnie Taylor.

Not mentioned much is that while Bobby Taylor was in the service stationed in San Antonio he recorded with Charlie & The Jives (local release on Hour, slightly less local on Astra).

Social source share

4 hours ago, Kris Holmes said:

Also, Ronald Wilson = Ronnie Taylor.

Not mentioned much is that while Bobby Taylor was in the service stationed in San Antonio he recorded with Charlie & The Jives (local release on Hour, slightly less local on Astra).

This should be moved to the topic Rockabilly tracks at Mod Events? :lol: Or could this be the next record to slide from the "rockabilly" scene onto the mod before hitting the jock's decks at "northern" do's ? :ohmy:

:rofl: Seriously, thanks for sharing. Kinda knew it was a cover by the Stray Cats of Brian Setzer's from memory but didn't know/remember that it was actually done originally by our dear beloved Bobby Taylor !

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

9 hours ago, tlscapital said:

This should be moved to the topic Rockabilly tracks at Mod Events? :lol: Or could this be the next record to slide from the "rockabilly" scene onto the mod before hitting the jock's decks at "northern" do's ? :ohmy:

:rofl: Seriously, thanks for sharing. Kinda knew it was a cover by the Stray Cats of Brian Setzer's from memory but didn't know/remember that it was actually done originally by our dear beloved Bobby Taylor !

It's the same title but a different song to the Warren Smith/Stray Cats rockabilly track.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!