Ed Bruce-i'm Gonna Have A Party-wand

Hi there,

has anyone a got a copy of Ed Bruce's - I'm Gonna Have A Party on Wand that they would be willing to sell/trade? I have the following available for trading/part trading:

Troy Dodds - Try My Love - Elcamino

Anthony and Delsonic - Everytime - Emerge

Frankie Karl - Shoulda Held On - Congress

Wade Flemmons - Two of a Kind - Ramsel

Masqueraders - How - LaBeat

(maybe more....i'll add later).

regards,

Carl. :-)

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 26
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi there,

has anyone a got a copy of Ed Bruce's - I'm Gonna Have A Party on Wand that they would be willing to sell/trade? I have the following available for trading/part trading:

Troy Dodds - Try My Love - Elcamino

Anthony and Delsonic - Everytime - Emerge

Frankie Karl - Shoulda Held On - Congress

Wade Flemmons - Two of a Kind - Ramsel

Masqueraders - How - LaBeat

(maybe more....i'll add later).

regards,

Carl. :-)

Good luck, Carl, I've already been down this particular road on here, about six months ago, to no avail...

TONE

PS - mind you, if you get offered two, bear me in mind, won't you :thumbsup:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Would be hard pushed to put a value on this, the only time i saw it for sale was circa 1993 at Bretby for £150....I ummmm`d and arrrr`d all night and left it....never found a copy in the States....bloody rare in my opinion....and great too........

Chris

When I tried for this on here a couple of months ago, John Manship told me that he'd recently auctioned one for in excess of £700.00 (which is what it's now valued at, in the latest edition of his price guide).

However, I personally believe that price to be the end product of a couple of people with more money than sense, outbidding each other until one of them won it, as I've since spoken to several other reputable collecors-dealers who have told me that £400.00 would still be a little on the high side, for a decent copy.

I'd seriously consider buying it for that, though...

TONE :(

Social source share

Guest scratuglia

When I tried for this on here a couple of months ago, John Manship told me that he'd recently auctioned one for in excess of £700.00 (which is what it's now valued at, in the latest edition of his price guide).

However, I personally believe that price to be the end product of a couple of people with more money than sense, outbidding each other until one of them won it, as I've since spoken to several other reputable collecors-dealers who have told me that £400.00 would still be a little on the high side, for a decent copy.

I'd seriously consider buying it for that, though...

TONE :(

Is this the same Ed Bruce who recorded for the Sun label?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I hope not! Thats the rockabilly/Country and Western Ed Bruce from Memphis who was recording until the 80s. He wears a cowboy hat. :( Mind you, there is a big gap in his discography which matches the Wand records releases! He appeared in an episode of Maverick that I caught when suffering from insomnia, maybe he cured it? He sang the theme toon with James Garner!

I reckon £400 would be a fair price, been after this myself for a while. Luvverly!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

As garethx says, it's the same 'Edwin' Bruce as was on Sun, and also the same Ed Bruce who wrote and recorded many big Country hits in the 70s and early 80s. he's a very nice man and no, he doesn't have even on copy of any of his Wand 45s - all of which, BTW, were recorded in Nashville...

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

This is the same Ed Bruce who you may have seen capering about in a cowboy hat. He went to High School with Steve Cropper, so the Memphis information is correct too.

He doesn't mention any of his soul records on his website (although he only has an LP discography), just a mention of someone else recording his See The BIg Man Cry, hadn't twigged before.

Heres his website address if anyone is interested:

https://edbrucemusic.com/

Social source share

As garethx says, it's the same 'Edwin' Bruce as was on Sun, and also the same Ed Bruce who wrote and recorded many big Country hits in the 70s and early 80s. he's a very nice man and no, he doesn't have even on copy of any of his Wand 45s - all of which, BTW, were recorded in Nashville...

TONE :lol:

I've just played it :lol:

???????????? just sounds like country & western to me, I can't believe anyone could call this SOUL ? Wish I had a few copies, could get some proper soul 45's in exchange. :thumbsup: I. M.H.O.O.C.

Social source share

I've just played it :lol:

???????????? just sounds like country & western to me, I can't believe anyone could call this SOUL ? Wish I had a few copies, could get some proper soul 45's in exchange. :thumbsup: I. M.H.O.O.C.

Though personally I don't like it, I can understand the interest in this tune, it's a big sounding ballad that fits into the current northern/rare soul scene and played out no doubt does the business for some,.....like you though Quinvy I hear it as country but then a lot of tunes we call "southern soul" fit into that category (country), so I suppose it depends on your perception of it, personally, I wouldn't call it soul either.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Though personally I don't like it, I can understand the interest in this tune, it's a big sounding ballad that fits into the current northern/rare soul scene and played out no doubt does the business for some,.....like you though Quinvy I hear it as country but then a lot of tunes we call "southern soul" fit into that category (country), so I suppose it depends on your perception of it, personally, I wouldn't call it soul either.

...ah, but did either of you hear it 'As Country' before all of the above disussion took place? I very much doubt it...

TONE

BTW Country music hasn't been called "Country And Western" since the 60s. Country music and western music are two different strands of the same genre and the continual lumping of both strands together is no more appropriate than calling 60s soul "Motown And Stax"...

...do try to keep up, lads laugh.gif

Social source share

I've just played it :thumbsup:

???????????? just sounds like country & western to me, I can't believe anyone could call this SOUL ? Wish I had a few copies, could get some proper soul 45's in exchange. wicked.gif I. M.H.O.O.C.

I CANT BELIEVE FRANK POPP GETS PLAYS AT SOUL DOS BUT IT DOES..THE ED BRUCE TRACK HAS BEEN A BIG HARD TO FIND 45 FOR YEARS ON THE SOUL SCENE

Social source share

...ah, but did either of you hear it 'As Country' before all of the above disussion took place? I very much doubt it..

TONE

You've got a point there TONE.....

Though I never saw this as particularly soulful, finding out he was the country singer probably caused me to define it as country in my post, I did listen to it before I posted and in retrospect maybe should have put...."like you though Quinvy, I now hear it as country".

I've listened to it a few times now on Soul Club and no doubt because of the above discussion, it comes across more country everytime, it's the way he phrases his words, and also the power of suggestion!, whereas before I saw this as a big ballad now I can't help but think ...country.

Oh and TONE....I never used the dread word "western" in my posts tongue.gif ...I'm clued up me :thumbsup: .

Social source share

...ah, but did either of you hear it 'As Country' before all of the above disussion took place? I very much doubt it...

TONE

BTW Country music hasn't been called "Country And Western" since the 60s. Country music and western music are two different strands of the same genre and the continual lumping of both strands together is no more appropriate than calling 60s soul "Motown And Stax"...

...do try to keep up, lads :thumbsup:

Yep, :thumbsup: I think it sounds like what I call "cowboy" music. Or "popcorn" You didn't influence my thinking at all. That's what it sounds like to me, I'm quite capable of recognizing a style of music on my own. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yep, :thumbsup: I think it sounds like what I call "cowboy" music. Or "popcorn" You didn't influence my thinking at all. That's what it sounds like to me, I'm quite capable of recognizing a style of music on my own. :thumbsup:

me neither, and i allways thought it was a great record (though allways knew it was 'country Ed') but now i am told it IS a country OR western record. maybe i shall sell mine - any one got a link for the C&W Forum? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yep, :yes: I think it sounds like what I call "cowboy" music. Or "popcorn" You didn't influence my thinking at all. That's what it sounds like to me, I'm quite capable of recognizing a style of music on my own. :thumbsup:

...Funny that. I've been a fan of Country since the 60s and a collector of same since the mid 70s and never once have I ever thought of this record as being anything other than 100% full-on Big City Soul. You'll be telling me Frank Howard's "Judy" or Little Hank's "Try To Understand" are Country next, just because they too were recorded in Nashville....

me neither, and i allways thought it was a great record (though allways knew it was 'country Ed') but now i am told it IS a country OR western record. maybe i shall sell mine - any one got a link for the C&W Forum? :D

yes, it's www.tonyrounce.co.com.org.urgh.aaargh! And if you want to sell it or swop it for my spare Slim Whitman boxed set I'm ready to do business :thumbsup::thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Pretty sure those saying it sounds like C&W are only saying that now you know he is a C&W artist laugh.gif If an artist like Chuck Jackson for example had recorded a version of I'm Gonna Have A Party you would think both tunes were great :D

Take a listen to the Patti Page version of You Don't Need A Heart - C&W or Soul ? She sings C&W, R&B and Pop, so what's the right category for Patti's version because I can't hear one hint of C&W in it ? S'pose Teddy Randazzo will be having a big influence on how your ears interpret this record. The same Patti Page who sang "How much is that Doggie in the Window" if that will influence your decision. :(

Does it matter who sings it, what genre of music they are more known for, as long as it's a good tune ? :D

Patti_Page___You_Don_t_Need_A_Heart.mp3

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Take a listen to the Patti Page version of You Don't Need A Heart .... The same Patti Page who sang "How much is that Doggie in the Window" if that will influence your decision. :D

Oh b#ggary, I now realise that it is nothing more than a novelty record more suited to a children's TV show. :(

Talking about both types of music, country and western, :D anyone who can't hear the soul in Johnny Cash's version of Hurt must have done too much gear at Wigan.

Social source share

I've just posted a frankie Karl in sales if your intersted :)

Oops sorry thought they were part of your wants too :shhh:

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Source Advert