The top 500

• Replies 41
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Spain pete

What about a top 500 that you thought would never be a top 500, how's about your starter for 500 .   l'm waiting  ,bill bush.  Ronn. 🎶🎶🎶👌

Social source share

20 hours ago, tomangoes said:

496 to go..

Jesus F****** Chr!st. This is one of the reasons I don`t go to many soul nights anymore. Even last weekend at The Barn, (and that`s a place we`ve been going to and helping out with and I`ve been DJing at for over 25 years) The absolute shite that gets played nowadays by the "Collectors" playing to their mates is just so far away from anything perceived as northern soul. :(

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Spain pete
19 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

This speaks volumes for those now attending your average 'Soul' Nite. 

Soul night . such a wide umbrella,   today's shite tomorrow's northern  maybe?🎶😱

Social source share

7 hours ago, geeselad said:

just be clear I don't own tribute or particularly fond of it and didn't play it. But it is popular.

. Moving on I'd place both the constellations tracks in the new top 10 based on popularity. Sorry can't post clips off this phone

In the early 90s that wouldn't have sounded out of place in a house music set.

its quite generic and nothing to get excited about but I've heard far worse.

Social source share

Top 500 2017.....

1: Ruby Andrews

2: Moses Smith

3: Bob Sinclair

4: Pharrell Williams

5: Anything off a TV advert

6: Anything by Gareth Gates

7: Ruby Andrews

8: Moses Smith

9: Bob Sinclair

10: Pharrell Williams

11: Anything off a TV advert

12: Anything by Gareth Gates

13: Ruby Andrews

etc..........

Edited by Zed1
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

25 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

Top 500 2017.....

etc..........

haha very good!

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
1 hour ago, Zed1 said:

Top 500 2017.....

etc..........

Did you mention ruby Andrews

Social source share

Its strange but when I first started to go to all nighters in 1976, it was frowned upon to wear a Northern Soul patch or even mention it as a term.

The mood had sound to rare soul etc, even though disco, funk, jazz funk, was entering the playlists.

Today we see the term Northern Soul being celebrated.

Adding northern gives licence to play non soul if in fact the DJ and crowd demand it.

Not really sure how the term made such a huge recovery, but it has, and records like Bob Sinclair survive and prosper.

Just like cats eyes, scratchy, interplay, and a multitude of others did.

The post was simply to offer up popular tunes today.

Its not about serious debate on what is or not fantastic soul music!

Ed

Social source share

just what we need people posting tracks they don't like now

this is turning into a car crash topic

if wanna start up a lengthy topic asking for stuff like top 500s then suggest it be best if give it some thought first

as in..

is it needed  ?

how going to do it ?

.....and so on 

am looking at closing this topic shortly as its not going well at all

Edited by mike
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

OK let's get back on track  . how's about can't live without you, Connie Laverne, gsf . newie in 75 played ever since.   Surely?😂🎶🎶

Social source share

4 hours ago, tomangoes said:

Its strange but when I first started to go to all nighters in 1976, it was frowned upon to wear a Northern Soul patch or even mention it as a term.

The mood had sound to rare soul etc, even though disco, funk, jazz funk, was entering the playlists.

Adding northern gives licence to play non soul if in fact the DJ and crowd demand it.

Not really sure how the term made such a huge recovery, but it has, and records like Bob Sinclair survive and prosper.

Just like cats eyes, scratchy, interplay, and a multitude of others did.

The post was simply to offer up popular tunes today.

Its not about serious debate on what is or not fantastic soul music!

Ed

some essentials would have to be,

Harvey averne- never learned to dance

wally coco, grey imprint, Rudy love oh and pow wow. Again sorry cant post clips at the moment but all deserving top 20 spots

Social source share

I would like to add to this topic, but I very rarely go to venues now. So i don't know whats getting played at leading venues (if there is any).

I could do my own top 500, which would be mostly records out of my collection.

I would like to see some lists of sounds that are getting played out at venues now, instead of reading people's gripe's and moan's about whats a bad record, in their opinion!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

The top 5 this weekend thread is good for that ... but if people are going out and about regularly it would be good to get a better overview of what's popular on the dance floors, whether "northern", modern, across the board or whatever. That's why a thread like this might have its uses.

I say "northern" because:

9 hours ago, tomangoes said:

How widespread is this? I've only been to weekenders in recent weeks but I'm sure if anyone in the northern rooms had tried playing that Bob Sinclar tune they'd have been dodging bits of heavy masonry. Are smaller events more liberal in their music policy? Or is the fixation on OVO leading to strange choices?

Social source share

22 hours ago, geeselad said:

just be clear I don't own tribute or particularly fond of it and didn't play it. But it is popular.

. Moving on I'd place both the constellations tracks in the new top 10 based on popularity. Sorry can't post clips off this phone

no this is crap

Social source share

9 hours ago, geeselad said:

some essentials would have to be,

Harvey averne- never learned to dance

wally coco, grey imprint, Rudy love oh and pow wow. Again sorry cant post clips at the moment but all deserving top 20 spots

i really really don't like this track, and just to prove the point, my wife, whom i rarely agree with, doesn't like it neither

Social source share

The Kev Roberts Top 500 was HIS OPINION, his top 500.

If he claims that they were the most requested records then his memory has completely gone. He missed so many great records that were massive from 1970-78 which is where 90% of his picks came from and included some really crap stuff that emptied the Wigan dance floor and hardly got played anywhere else because they were CRAP!

I so love Soulies because they never miss an opportunity to talk absolute BOLLOCKS

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 hours ago, mike said:

just what we need people posting tracks they don't like now

this is turning into a car crash topic

if wanna start up a lengthy topic asking for stuff like top 500s then suggest it be best if give it some thought first

as in..

is it needed  ?

how going to do it ?

.....and so on 

am looking at closing this topic shortly as its not going well at all

Agreed. Please do that. A simple request to see what's popular today around the country, has turned into a farce.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Agreed. Please do that. A simple request to see what's popular today around the country, has turned into a farce.

Ed

ed

you can lock your own threads yourself

just click on the 'moderation actions' link and you should get the 'lock' option

Social source share