Biggest selling Northern Record - Gloria Jones - Tainted Love ??

Swifty

Was just wandering actually how many label variants (including boots) there is of this record ? Out of interest just

googled and looked on images and gave up counting after 25 lol ! I know there's no way of knowing how many were

sold of each but if they were added together it must be 100's of thousands do you think ?:g:

Cheers

Swifty

Social source share

I can remember reading back in 1975 ish proberly in blues & souls that if all the pressing's/ boots sales were put together it would have entered the top ten / pop charts. Perhaps why it's not played much today? Another reason maybe soft cell 's version . Also remember 1st time i heard soft cell i was having a shave at the time allmost cut me throat WTF .

• Thanks 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Must have been a sensation when it first hit the Northern scene. Unique and almost Taylor made for the furious dance floors back then.

Ed

I bet whoever put a needle to it first thought 'kin 'ell !! lol as you say nearly tailor made for the scene back then :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

don't agree Steve, that was one evil cover version by soft cell, and the testitiment to that is it sold millions and folk love it today as they did back then.... it's an awesome song and soft cells version is brilliant in my opinion, I love Gloria's original of course... there are more covers out there, and no one ever remembers those....

It's a Richard Searling spin for sure, he confirmed finding it at house of sounds in the USA and spun it first...

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, SWIFTY said:

Steve, do you know if Mr. Soussan  used to supply Richard or was this before that , if you know what I mean ?

Swifty:thumbsup:

Hi mate I don't think RS was on the SS supply list at the time. As far as I know RW was more likely to be on the SS list. Tainted Love was late Va Va's just before WC I think. RS found it whilst rooting around in the US as Mal C says.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

56 minutes ago, Steve Foran said:

Hi mate I don't think RS was on the SS supply list at the time. As far as I know RW was more likely to be on the SS list. Tainted Love was late Va Va's just before WC I think. RS found it whilst rooting around in the US as Mal C says.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

On 29/07/2017 at 11:27, Winsford Soul said:

Soft cell should have there throats cut for ruining a great record. 

Steve 

Yet this cover version was acclaimed by the unwashed masses as a fantastic, chart-topping tune... Just goes to show how utterly brilliant, yet underappreciated the original version was. Nothing like the Soft Cell version to pack the floor with closet-soulies - request it at your next wedding do, and see what happens.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

5 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Yet this cover version was acclaimed by the unwashed masses as a fantastic, chart-topping tune... Just goes to show how utterly brilliant, yet underappreciated the original version was. Nothing like the Soft Cell version to pack the floor with closet-soulies - request it at your next wedding do, and see what happens.

Follow that up with Soft Cell's cover of What to really get the party started, just don't ask for the Marilyn Manson version of Tainted Love unless the bride is wearing black.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!