INFO RE MEL WILLIAMS CAN IT BE ME

Guest chorleybloke

Assumed I had an original for years until I got the magnifying glass out.  Went safe and found a red issue.

Social source share

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, solidsoul said:

So is this the Jazz version or the Modern Records cut?

It`s Mel`s jazz version, completely different from the Northern Soul version apart from the lyrics. I can`t find a YouTube clip unfortunately.

Social source share

1 hour ago, carty said:

So , just to clarify , Is the Astranaut copy or the Holiday inn copy the original version ? never seen either before. 

the red modern is the original issue the white modern promo with small matrix is original promo and the holiday inn is self explanitery read what's on the label :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 years later...

Would this Holiday Inn 'complimentary' advance copy' freebee be post the Modern release ?

1472209744_Capturedcran2021-04-0519_10_07.png.9da7089153a296afe2a9abb6167e0890.png

As the Bihari Brothers (Jules, Joe, Lester and Saul) were the actual founders of Modern Records.

1927518182_Capturedcran2021-04-0519_10_17.png.ec81d004e0bc1629ba3a73f476be09b0.png

The Modern release would also rather indicates that with the BMI - Modern music - Pub. Co. !

Odd a little that the Holiday Inn record discography halts in 1963 to resurect in April 1968.

This is likely super rare as it would have been a small run given away at one promotional gig...

• Thanks 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, The Yank said:

It appears that "Can It Be Me" on Modern  came out after this Holiday Inn release. This survey is from June, 1966 with Mel at #30 -

Yes, June 1966 (July on 45cat.com) for the Modern release. Now one would need to have authentification confirmation on the actual existence of this most odd looking Holiday Inn copy vinyl or only image.

We're late on this thread but still could we know who was the initial source of this 'image' ? Jbs's own or borrowed ... The old tipping machine typo have weird "clouds" behind the lettering ; digital paint brush job ?

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!