Post insured - proof of record value

Sheep

Hi

Not sure if this is the correct section.

Had a record go missing in the post.

Royal mail are asking for proof of purchase value, not what I sold it for.

Had this for over 40 years and paid very little for it, so have no proof of purchase and in any case its not relative to today's value.

Has anybody have advise on this.

Thanks

Sheep

Social source share

15 minutes ago, sheep said:

Hi

Not sure if this is the correct section.

Had a record go missing in the post.

Royal mail are asking for proof of purchase value, not what I sold it for.

Had this for over 40 years and paid very little for it, so have no proof of purchase and in any case its not relative to today's value.

Has anybody have advise on this.

Thanks

Sheep

It's probably jargonese for what you sold it for, I had stuff go missing that I'd sold on eBay and sent special delivery with a value up to £500, it got damaged in the post and they wanted to know the purchase price, I just sent them the eBay checkout page printed out, they paid up the full amount and me and the purchaser were refunded.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

How did you sent it ? If you have sent it with some form of tracking you should be entitled to some compensation. If not it will be difficult but in the past I've just stuck to my guns and bugged them until they've agreed. Purchase price is irrelevant as you sold it now, posted it now and were paid now.

From memory >>>>

Recorded / Signed for you are covered automatically for £50

Special delivery by 9.00am is £50 and by 1.00pm is £500 and I think you can add insurance to this also.

If you have just sent it normal post, then you may be lucky to get anything back without proof. Even if you have proof its about £20 max for items sent by first class post.

Hope it works out.

ATB

Social source share

14 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

It's probably jargonese for what you sold it for, I had stuff go missing that I'd sold on eBay and sent special delivery with a value up to £500, it got damaged in the post and they wanted to know the purchase price, I just sent them the eBay checkout page printed out, they paid up the full amount and me and the purchaser were refunded.

Thanks. Insured tracked and signed for with a value of £250, which is what I am claiming.

Sent them the ebay sold page and the paypal sold for page. They are asking what I paid for it, it was 40 years ago I bought it, not much paid for it, so even if I had the original purchase rceipt, it has no bearing on today's value.

Sheep

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

How did you sent it ? If you have sent it with some form of tracking you should be entitled to some compensation. If not it will be difficult but in the past I've just stuck to my guns and bugged them until they've agreed. Purchase price is irrelevant as you sold it now, posted it now and were paid now.

From memory >>>>

Recorded / Signed for you are covered automatically for £50

Special delivery by 9.00am is £50 and by 1.00pm is £500 and I think you can add insurance to this also.

If you have just sent it normal post, then you may be lucky to get anything back without proof. Even if you have proof its about £20 max for items sent by first class post.

Hope it works out.

ATB

Thanks , have put more info up, see above post.

Edited by sheep
Social source share

Thanks for submitting your claim online.

We’re sorry there’s been a problem and be assured we’ll do all we can to review your claim and provide you with a resolution as quickly as possible. So we can do this, we need you to provide the correct evidence to support your claim. When reviewing the details of your claim, the images provided do not show the full evidence required.

All compensation claims must be supported by

Proof of the items value must show what it cost you to acquire, purchase or manufacture the original item (or repair in the case of damage) e.g. till receipt, bank statement etc.

Edited by sheep
Social source share

When this happens, when I sell stuff, I always ask the buyer to claim as they have proof of what they paid. Its always worked  (except once when the buyer would not cooperate). I would wait a bit, (watch out for any time limit) and ask the buyer to help you out. Even if he has been paid out by paypal he may be a right enough guy. 

Edited by Kegsy
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

34 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

When this happens, when I sell stuff, I always ask the buyer to claim as they have proof of what they paid. Its always worked  (except once when the buyer would not cooperate). I would wait a bit, (watch out for any time limit) and ask the buyer to help you out. Even if he has been paid out by paypal he may be a right enough guy. 

Thanks

Yes, they have given me 5 days to respond. I have already made a claim, so probably to late now for the buyer to step in. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Kegsy said:

This sounds like the most sensible way it should be looked at, not only by both parties involved, but also by the royal mail. It would seem both logical and fair that the amount the royal mail pays out is what the customer has paid for it (with reasonable proof). How on earth can they justify paying out what the previous person( the seller) paid for it, as stated previous it could be forty years ago. After all, if it was something that depreciated in value they are highly unlikely to pay what you paid for it when new. Probably got some smart arse in the claims department who is on bonus for reducing claims. Unfotunatly he's talking out of his arse.

Social source share

14 hours ago, sheep said:

Thanks. Insured tracked and signed for with a value of £250, which is what I am claiming.

Sent them the ebay sold page and the paypal sold for page. They are asking what I paid for it, it was 40 years ago I bought it, not much paid for it, so even if I had the original purchase rceipt, it has no bearing on today's value.

Sheep

I don't see as it's any of their business what you paid for it, no-one is expected to keep a receipt for 40 years surely?

Social source share

13 hours ago, sheep said:

The other thing, they have stated it is being held at their holding centre in Belfast, so why don't return it to me, the tracking number and return address is on it.!!

If they are holding it and know where it is, how can it be missing ?. I would suggest the office in Belfast was it's last known scan and not that they actually have the item. I've had that before, where tracking says it's at such n such a sorting office, but never got any further.

Social source share

28 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

I don't see as it's any of their business what you paid for it, no-one is expected to keep a receipt for 40 years surely?

They will only pay out what a person has paid for an item, I.E. the money that person lost, which is why it's always best for the buyer to claim. If the seller claims the Royal Mail won't want to pay out his "mark up" on goods. Notional "value" has nothing to do with the process.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

1 hour ago, TattooDave said:

Agree, but unfortunately that is what there asking for. So sellers need to  be aware. My buyer is in Germany, will approach him, not sure you can make a second claim on the same item though.

In my mind I've written it off, as I cannot provide the evidence of purchase.

Pointless insuring in that case !

Edited by sheep
Social source share

39 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

They will only pay out what a person has paid for an item, I.E. the money that person lost, which is why it's always best for the buyer to claim. If the seller claims the Royal Mail won't want to pay out his "mark up" on goods. Notional "value" has nothing to do with the process.

Looks this way. As Ive already made a claim, is it poss for the buyer to do one on the same item ? He's in Germany, no guarantee he would pass it back to me in any case !

Social source share

5 minutes ago, sheep said:

Looks this way. As Ive already made a claim, is it poss for the buyer to do one on the same item ? He's in Germany, no guarantee he would pass it back to me in any case !

Given they will probably have a claim against the tracking number I reckon they would spot another one for the same item. I have never claimed outside the UK so I don't know the score there. I take it the buyer has been reimbursed already. 

Social source share

3 hours ago, sheep said:

Yes, ebay reimbursed him. 

The only thing I can think of is to get a pre dated receipt from someone, a dealer, but i shouldn't have to think along those lines !

Did he pay by Paypal ?. If so you may be able to claim from them, I did it once when a tracked item went missing and they had refunded the buyer, I had to ring them and give them some grief, but I got there in the end. Contrary to popular belief I think there is some seller protection, with paypal when this happens, especially with tracked shipping . It might be worth a try at least.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Kegsy said:

Did he pay by Paypal ?. If so you may be able to claim from them, I did it once when a tracked item went missing and they had refunded the buyer, I had to ring them and give them some grief, but I got there in the end. Contrary to popular belief I think there is some seller protection, with paypal when this happens, especially with tracked shipping . It might be worth a try at least.

Never thought of that, thanks

Social source share

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 09:04, Kegsy said:

I can understand why people don't use Royal Mail in that case.  I bought some Matchbox toys mint and boxed for 50p each and some of those sold for over £300 each, it wasn't my mark up, it was what someone was prepared to pay for it, it sold by auction, not a BIN price.

Social source share

3 hours ago, TattooDave said:

I can understand why people don't use Royal Mail in that case.  I bought some Matchbox toys mint and boxed for 50p each and some of those sold for over £300 each, it wasn't my mark up, it was what someone was prepared to pay for it, it sold by auction, not a BIN price.

Well if they missing , you would need to provide proof of purchase price.

Social source share

2 hours ago, sheep said:

It's not what you insure it for, it's what you can prove you paid for it. Ie a printed till receipt !

Correct, in most cases only the buyer can make a legitimate claim for a provable financial loss.

The buyer gets his money back and the seller just loses his record, other than the double whammy of not having to reimburse the buyer, the whole thing is a complete waste of time.

Got to say that in 40years of selling records I have only ever had one signed for parcel go astray, overall the RM are pretty efficient in my opinion, that statement will no doubt come back to bite me :)

Edited by local
Social source share

22 hours ago, local said:

Correct, in most cases only the buyer can make a legitimate claim for a provable financial loss.

The buyer gets his money back and the seller just loses his record, other than the double whammy of not having to reimburse the buyer, the whole thing is a complete waste of time.

Got to say that in 40years of selling records I have only ever had one signed for parcel go astray, overall the RM are pretty efficient in my opinion, that statement will no doubt come back to bite me :)

As I am now finding out. 40 years plus for me also and this is the first time ive lost one.  EBay move swiftly to reimburse the buyer, so not enough time for royal mail to refund beforehand. The buyer could end up with two lots of money and keep both !

Social source share

15 hours ago, tiberius said:

Thanks, have looked at all of this.

Social source share

1 hour ago, sheep said:

As I am now finding out. 40 years plus for me also and this is the first time ive lost one.  EBay move swiftly to reimburse the buyer, so not enough time for royal mail to refund beforehand. The buyer could end up with two lots of money and keep both !

Surely the buyer has to instigate a claim before Ebay do anything ?. Did the buyer contact you before he contacted Ebay and they reimbursed him ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!