Loretta Williams - Baby Cakes UK ATLANTIC

Can anyone help? 

Been offered this on either UK Atlantic or US Jotis... 

I've been told the UK ATLANTIC copy is a bit "full or dubbed in sound, maybe a bit distorted" too in sound.

Where as the US copies are a much better sound? 

Is this true? 

Can anyone help? 

Thanks. 

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi

I think this might be in the wrong forum and should be in Look At Your Box, but anyway, I've done some research and whilst I can't find anything definitive, I think there's a possibility that  the UK release on red Atlantic was dubbed off vinyl rather than from the master tape. Many UK 60's soul records were. Have a look at this post from Tony Rounce ( Ace/Kent Records ) which gives some background to this practice.

As you will know this tune is a "barn burning" stomper and even when it was being recorded in the studio, I doubt the engineer/producer was mainly concerned with the hi/fidelity of the recording, going more for excitement and atmosphere. I've got a UK red Atlantic copy of this tune and it sounds ok on my system but then again I'm not expecting  it to sound like Dark Side Of The Moon.  If you want it to DJ with, it's doubtful if anyone could tell the difference between the two, cranked up

I guess given the choice, I'd personally go for the Jotis copy if both the same price. 

Almost all of the UK 60s soul releases that were dubbed from disc on Polydor-distributed labels sound dreadful. The mastering engineer used to do most of them at the end of the day when the cutting stylus was too hot. Too hot cutting stylus = massive distortion

The singles were probably not considered much of a priority in the overall scheme of things. After all, they were only going to be played on Dansettes or, at a pinch, a pirate radio station on the AM band. 

If you want a good demonstration of how bad things could get, try playing Dee Dee Sharp's "My Best Friend's Man" on UK Atlantic and then follow through with a nice, clean Atco copy. They're barely recognisable as the same record. 

J J Barnes' "Deeper In Love" on UK Polydor is another good example of "hot cutting". Sounds great on Ric Tic, sounds bloody awful on UK. For years I actually thought that they were different takes, so hard is it to believe that they both spring from the same root as it were.

Oh, and by the way, and while I'm here, those who covet a Darrell Banks on London might care to note that it's dubbed from a Revilot 45 . The Statside copy, however, is taken from a Revilot mastertape...

Edited by autumnstoned
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert