Six Years Of The Soul Shack Coming Up Soon - 6th Anniversary On Solar Radio. Sunday November 26th

In a couple of Sunday's time i will be celebrating six years on Solar Radio, hard to believe but it's true....lol. I began back in November 2000 firstly with a very late show on Saturday nights between 2am through to 4am, moving to the now established Sunday night 8pm through 10pm slot which is the perfect time for the show to broadcast i think.

It's been a little rocky over the years with the funding issues and problems but as always the scene has supported me through the tuff times, special thanks go out to all 'Friends Of The Soul Shack' who have helped and offered financial support over the years which include - Andy McCabe - Soultown Promotions, Neil Jones and Jayne Malone - North Manchester Soul Club, Chris Waterman and Lee Crank - New Century Soul Club, Mark Ethridge and all at Ponds Forge, Sheffield, Paul Donnely, Stuart Cosgrove, Jo Wallace, The Orwell Boys, Dave Thorley, Val And Dave Box, many Soul fans i don't even know who showed support, well basically everyone they know who they are. The recent fund raises at The Orwell in Wigan and at The Marine Broker in London plus all of the many donations have basically kept the 'Soul Shack' rocking so many thanks again to everyone. Big thanks also to Eddie Edmondson - Soul In The Sun for his recent advertising on the show.

The Guests.

I've had some fantastic guests on over the years which has given a different dimension to the show so big thanks to the likes of Brett Franklin, Jamie Hartford and Rich Buckley, Steve Plumb, Flanny, Barry Maleedy, Gary Cope, Ian Blackburn, Neil Jones for his many visits...lol Kim Cook and the late Nige Shaw, Chris Waterman and Lee Crank, Paul Metcalf from On The Scene, Mick Howard from Heywood and the other Mick Howard from Glasgow, Brian Rae, Chalky, Chris Anderton, Dave Thorley, Danny Everard, Guy Hennigan, Alan Darker, Kevin Cox, Jo Wallace, Andy McCabe, Paul Sadot and Ian Gregory.

Many more guests to follow in the future including Andy Whitmore, Keith Williams, the return of The Orwell Boys and many more to be confirmed.

Big thanks also go out to the record companies for supplying me with some fantastic promo stuff over the past six years which i'm always happy to review/preview and play, so hats off to Ace/Kent - Ady Croasdell, Goldmine Soul Supply - Tim Brown and all at Anglo American, John Manship Records for the odd pack of soul selections to play, Grapevine 2000 aka John Anderson and Garry J. Cape, all at Universal, Kevin Cox at Soulspinner.com, Rob Moss at Hayley Records, thank you all for your support and wonderful tunes.

Last but not least thanks to everyone who tunes in basically without your support it would simply not happen, thanks for taking the time out to send so many requests, mentions and dedications over the past 6 years long may it continue.Big thanks to Tony Monson and all at Solar for basically letting me do my own thing every Sunday.

The Anniversay show will go out on Sunday November 26th www.solarradio.com and i'm pleased to say that Mr Neil Jones will be joining me between 8pm through 10pm to help celebrate my little milestone and i could'nt think of anyone better to share the show with.

Many thanks to Mike Hughes and everyone here on Soul Source for letting me plug the show from time to time on here, thanks to you all for the regular positive comments and feedback, you are all brilliant.

Hope to see a few of you at The Orwell on Friday November 24th In 'The Soul Shack' room, looks like the shows 6th Anniversary celebrations could be starting a couple of days earlier...lol

'The Soul Shack' every Sunday www.solarradio.com - CHANNEL 0129 SKY DIGITAL - Soon to be into it's 7th year - For requests,mentions and dedications contack bicknellmark@aol.com or markbicknell@solarradio.com - 8pm - 10pm UK, 9pm - 11pm Central Europe and on the web Worldwide www.solarradio.com

Regards and thanks - Mark Bicknell.

Neil Jones will be joining me for the 6th Anniversary show - 8pm - 10pm Sunday November 26th www.solarradio.com CHANNEL 0129 SKY DIGITAL.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I guess I'm biased, as I had the priviledge of being a guest on the show, but it really is the dogs danglers.

Well done Mark, your hard work is appreciated. Here's to the next six.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Dont often get chance to listen to the show, but caught up with again tonight for the first time in a few years!.

Must say makes a great antidote for the same old, same old ultra safe stuff thats played at many venue's, ok whats good on radio does not allways work on the dancefloor but perhaps if some of the lesser known tracks you play was given the chance, it might be!! :unsure:

Keep up the good work! thumbsup.gif

Edited by Teapot
Social source share

Dont often get chance to listen to the show, but caught up with again tonight for the first time in a few years!.

Must say makes a great antidote for the same old, same old ultra safe stuff thats played at many venue's, ok whats good on radio does not allways work on the dancefloor but perhaps if some of the lesser known tracks you play was given the chance, it might be!! :unsure:

Keep up the good work! thumbsup.gif

Thanks for your comments, like you say radio is a very different animal to the live venue situation, will just keep plugging away on the show, enjoy doing it every week, much more of the same to follow that's a promise.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Top stuff again, Mark, and Neil Jones was great company.

For those who are interested the full playlist was as follows :

Earl Jackson - Soul self satisfaction

E.J Chandler - I can't stand to lose you

Millionaires - You've got to love your baby

Attractions - That girl is mine

Herman Hitson - Yes you did

September Jones - No more love

September Jones - I'm coming home

Monique - If you love me

Monique - Never let me go

Trends - Gonna have to show you

Jack Montgomery - Baby, baby take a chance on me

Al Gardner - Sweety baby

Falcons - Good, good feeling

Falcons - Love look in her eyes

Buddy Lamp - The next best thing

Impossibles - It's alright

Tony Middleton - Paris blues

Gene Toones - What more do you want

Herb Ward - Strange change

Continental Showstoppers - Not too young

Fabulous Appollos - Determination

Fabulous Appollos - The one alone

Mixed Emotions - Gold of my life

Jesse James - If you want a love affair

Frank and James - How long is forever

Exceptionals - Unlucky girl

J B Troy - Live on

? - Be that way some time (?)

Sweet Three - That,s the way it is (when a girls in love)

Entertainers IV -Garden of Eden

Chymes - Beginning of my life

Didnt catch the last track - can anybody fill in the details of the ?

Social source share

Top stuff again, Mark, and Neil Jones was great company.

For those who are interested the full playlist was as follows :

Earl Jackson - Soul self satisfaction

E.J Chandler - I can't stand to lose you

Millionaires - You've got to love your baby

Attractions - That girl is mine

Herman Hitson - Yes you did

September Jones - No more love

September Jones - I'm coming home

Monique - If you love me

Monique - Never let me go

Trends - Gonna have to show you

Jack Montgomery - Baby, baby take a chance on me

Al Gardner - Sweety baby

Falcons - Good, good feeling

Falcons - Love look in her eyes

Buddy Lamp - The next best thing

Impossibles - It's alright

Tony Middleton - Paris blues

Gene Toones - What more do you want

Herb Ward - Strange change

Continental Showstoppers - Not too young

Fabulous Appollos - Determination

Fabulous Appollos - The one alone

Mixed Emotions - Gold of my life

Jesse James - If you want a love affair

Frank and James - How long is forever

Exceptionals - Unlucky girl

J B Troy - Live on

? - Be that way some time (?)

Sweet Three - That,s the way it is (when a girls in love)

Entertainers IV -Garden of Eden

Chymes - Beginning of my life

Didnt catch the last track - can anybody fill in the details of the ?

Last two tracks were Jimmy Gilford - Heartbreaker and Willie Wade - When Push Comes To Shove, thanks again for all the good wishes,emails and messages, the support for my little show is awesome.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Hey Mark,it was good to meet you at The Orwell last week.Congrats on 6yrs of Radio and good luck for it's future, just wish you could change the time !! 8pm - 10pm your time is 4am - 6am our time in Perth, and I need my beauty sleep :thumbsup: ,cheers, hope to catch you next time i'm in UK,Denny

Social source share

Hey Mark,it was good to meet you at The Orwell last week.Congrats on 6yrs of Radio and good luck for it's future, just wish you could change the time !! 8pm - 10pm your time is 4am - 6am our time in Perth, and I need my beauty sleep :yes: ,cheers, hope to catch you next time i'm in UK,Denny

Hi Denny

Jumping onto your thread here but great to see you again last Friday at The Orwell and (seriously) thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

Hi Mark

Well done on reaching 6 years young mate......................keep up the fabulous work, you know we all appreciate it :D:(thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert