Poll: DJ Playlist - Worthwhile?

Mike

Do you find dj playlists worthwhile?  

1. 1. Do you find dj playlists worthwhile?

• yep
    • nope

This poll is closed to new votes

• Sign in or join to vote
  • Poll closed on 18/08/17 at 09:55

Dj Playlists used to be a staple part of the soul source diet not so long ago.

Bit light nowadays, so thought how about poll to see what your take is here in 2017

Do you (or did you)  find them worthwhile?

A simple question with 'worthwhile' meaning as in useful, interesting , entertaining, informative etc etc

a simple yah/nah choice , 2 weeks running

Certainly myself used to use think so

so whats the 2017 take...

Social source share

Fully agree with Fred and i have put playlists up in the past and will continue to do so.however a separate thread or linked to the event in question would be better. i cannot understand why a dj would want to play a set then not put the set on a thread so everyone can see it.Would be interesting to see what the "big name" dj's are playing.

Dave

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 minute ago, Dave West said:

Fully agree with Fred and i have put playlists up in the past and will continue to do so.however a separate thread or linked to the event in question would be better. i cannot understand why a dj would want to play a set then not put the set on a thread so everyone can see it.Would be interesting to see what the "big name" dj's are playing.

Dave

Maybe even a few scans as well

Social source share

As i often try and find an event to tie in with business trips (all over the country) then it is very useful to be able to look up an event and see playlists as this gives a much better indication as to the type of event rather than just 'across the board  etc..etc..'.   I used to put up playlists from the odd event i was asked to do as i thought it may attract people to the venue in future (of course it may also put them off:(). But as there didn't seem to be many other playlist posts i stopped doing it in case it just came across as a bit of  'self promotion'.

Dean, by 'authenticity of the label' do you mean just quoting the label e.g. 'washpan' or more detail e.g. 'washpan 1967 nashville matrix...'        I think it should be clear if original vinyl or not (i also think any venues advertising should state their policy on this as this is a big part of me choosing a venue to attend).

• Up vote 2
Social source share

53 minutes ago, Fred Benson said:

I like to see what others are playing, so yes, 'worthwhile'. Often come across new tunes to search out!

However, they do get lost with all the other articles in AAT Soul, it was better when there was a separate 'Playlist' section....

Fred

36 minutes ago, Dave West said:

Dave

this returned a few weeks ago Dave & Fred

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/forum/128-soul-media-playlists/

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, bbrich said:

As i often try and find an event to tie in with business trips (all over the country) then it is very useful to be able to look up an event and see playlists as this gives a much better indication as to the type of event rather than just 'across the board  etc..etc..'.   I used to put up playlists from the odd event i was asked to do as i thought it may attract people to the venue in future (of course it may also put them off:(). But as there didn't seem to be many other playlist posts i stopped doing it in case it just came across as a bit of  'self promotion'.

Dean, by 'authenticity of the label' do you mean just quoting the label e.g. 'washpan' or more detail e.g. 'washpan 1967 nashville matrix...'        I think it should be clear if original vinyl or not (i also think any venues advertising should state their policy on this as this is a big part of me choosing a venue to attend).

yep i'd say a useful promotion and punter friendly tool if done the right way 

punter friendly  - now thats a word I haven't heard heard for a bit !

Social source share

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't see that it adds much value to an event if a playlist is posted up. Personally I prefer to go and have a listen in 'real time'

I know when we run an 'underplayed' session with other promoters we actively discourage playlists after the event(and all the DJ's agree) preferring the 'punter' to actually come out and sample the sounds for themselves, rather than wait till Monday and peruse through lists......the 'moment' has long gone !!

As I say its just my point of view...... I suppose its a good marketing tool for DJ's to show their 'wares'...:-)

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Always used to post my playlists from wherever i used to DJ from the smallest soul night to the large civic centre nighters.  Loved the feed back either positive or negative  ( not that I got negative feedback) :D especially loved reading playlists from other parts of the country to see what different records where getting plays. 

Steve 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I like to see playlists. Always interesting.

I'm not sue that "Big Name" DJ's would do it. I think it's a good way for people who are not DJing every week to advertise their style and collection. Phil T used to list loads of records played at Grumpy Soul and I'm sure that spread the word and reputation.

Also, I understand the point of view "if you want to know, GO!". BUT, I've wasted lot's of nights in the past finding out that a venue isn't to my taste. Now, I would tend to look at the DJ's to get an idea of quality/style/ovo etc. However, as mentioned, that knowledge cost a lot of time and disappointing nights. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, mike said:

couple of no's - would those members like to expand... ?

sure views be of interest 

I can’t Mike - I’m a Moderator, I may get sacked if I say I don’t really do play lists! :D

Oh dear, I suppose it’s too late now, so here goes……

I voted no, although I am not completely against them - I do understand the interest side of things / what others are playing / where they’re playing them etc, and of course people can learn about new sounds from play lists.

But for me - I am focussed on the ‘night out’, so I have the view that a play list can’t tell me how good a venue is, and think you need to be there to appreciate a record being played ‘in context’

You may well see a pretty predictable record on a play list, and ‘shrug’ (heard it before yawn), but on the actual night, that record may well have really hit the spot!…….And on the other hand, you may see a really interesting / creative / 'rare' play list, yet the actual night (or spot) being pretty poor.

…….Except for the ‘Top 5’ thread of course as that’s different :D (What’s happening ‘at a glance’ kinda thang) 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, jez jones said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't see that it adds much value to an event if a playlist is posted up. Personally I prefer to go and have a listen in 'real time'

I know when we run an 'underplayed' session with other promoters we actively discourage playlists after the event(and all the DJ's agree) preferring the 'punter' to actually come out and sample the sounds for themselves, rather than wait till Monday and peruse through lists......the 'moment' has long gone !!

As I say its just my point of view...... I suppose its a good marketing tool for DJ's to show their 'wares'...:-)

wow 'actively discourage' playlists ! thats strong

all i say is best of luck with that policy

50 minutes ago, LEN said:

I can’t Mike - I’m a Moderator, I may get sacked if I say I don’t really do play lists! :D

Oh dear, I suppose it’s too late now, so here goes……

I voted no, although I am not completely against them - I do understand the interest side of things, what others are playing / where they’re being played etc, and of course people can learn about new sounds from play lists.

But for me - I am focussed on the ‘night out’, so I have the view that a play list can’t tell me how good a venue is, and think you need to be there to appreciate a record being played ‘in context’

You may well see a pretty predictable record on a play list, and ‘shrug’ (heard it before yawn), but on the actual night, that record may well have really hit the spot!…….And on the other hand, you may see a really interesting / creative / 'rare' play list, yet the actual night (or spot) being pretty poor.

…….Except for the ‘Top 5’ thread of course as that’s different :D (What’s happening ‘at a glance’ kinda thang) 

All the best,

interesting take Len

get the context concerns, though plays never have to be 100% in full do they ?  after all ain't a  top 5 is just a highlight short sort of playlist ya?

I guess nowadays a lot depends on event, dj, promoters and such, but still a place here... imo

mike

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

More play lists  please  ,some of the tunes that have been posted over the years have gone on to be real surprises, !  that in the past would not have ever seen the light of day ,forward thinking has never been more important since Adam was a boy  😉🎶🎶

Social source share

I like them. Something interesting to read. A window on what's happening in another part of the country. Obscure tracks given a mention. Helps DJ's get noticed by promoters. Good to look over them when browsing events attended long ago. Settles arguments about who played what first, when and where. What's not to like about playlists? Would like to see more playlists please...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

The last couple of events I've co-promoted I would put up my playlist in the early days to help potential punters understand the music policy albeit an individual slanted view but at least they understood what I was about, the most difficult thing I found was to get some DJ's to post theirs, could never fathom that one out, and yes everyone played Original Vinyl without question so it made even less sense to me not to post, oh well, now I'm well into the groove with the Clarence Beat-club in York and we have established ourselves, I don't bother now, (sorry about the shameless plug), atb dekka

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I have voted yes I used to put my playlists all the time at Nuneaton I think it is part of being a dj on the scene & its useful to see what'st being played rather than hearing oh its the same top 500 played at that or this venue .I suspect that the reason it has faded away because to many  pressing are being played by DJs  especially at smaller venues /soul nites .

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I like to read playlists when time allows.  However they don't tell you the full story,whether the set was appreciated, cleared or rammed the floor, if the Dj had rotten fruit thrown at him, what kind of night it is, music policy etc, numbers through the door.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Personally I like to post my play lists. Others can see what I am about in regards to my record choices and collection. I can also see what other folks are playing so am introduced to new tunes and get a good indicator of their music style, genre and policy of a particular night. With The Clarence Beat Club some of us do post playlists but I respect those that do not want to post theirs. Each to their own as they say.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

12 hours ago, mike said:

interesting take Len

get the context concerns, though plays never have to be 100% in full do they ?  after all ain't a  top 5 is just a highlight short sort of playlist ya?

I guess nowadays a lot depends on event, dj, promoters and such, but still a place here... imo

mike

It defo has a place on here, and is why I voted no, but didn't comment as to why, as I would not want to discourage play lists being posted - Others read them for various reasons other than focusing on just the 'night out' (As I do)

I have put play lists up myself many times - In the past (like others) I did it to help promote events I was involved in running, and just recently a lad's mum (Sean) (('Rugby Soul Club' on here)) asked on his behalf if I would post one up after the he had heard me playing in The Kenwood Suite at The Bury All-nighter - I think it would have been ignorant of me not to oblige after he had taken an interest in what I was playing.

All the best,

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Playlists also allow punters to follow a deejay or attend a venue with the hope that some of those records will be played again if that's what they favour hearing and to dance to. A little bit like the promo adverts from the old days that highlighted what tunes were going to be played at that venue or by a particular deejay. I suppose it helps folks make more informed decisions about where they want to spend their hard earned money and have the best of times. Having said that it is nice to go somewhere and be pleasantly surprised by the played out selection. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, chalky said:

I like to read playlists when time allows.  However they don't tell you the full story,whether the set was appreciated, cleared or rammed the floor, if the Dj had rotten fruit thrown at him, what kind of night it is, music policy etc, numbers through the door.

Very valid points and if i post a playlist will try and put it in context of the whole night and how it was received. Also what might look like a bad choice of record to follow the previous one may have been the right thing to react to the dancefloor (or maybe lack of.., venue going from empty to filling up etc...  and the set listing doesn't portary how the dj went from one to the next say maybe with soem speaking to deliberately allow a change of gear.  Also a playlist doesn't always tell you what a dj may be able to play - being small time with few opportunities i generally have to play more 'top 500' than i personally would like because that is what the promoter and a large percentage of the dancers demand.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Playlist are interesting for a few reasons...and I voted yes BTW

First they can indicate the music policy of the venue. Second they can indicate the tastes of the DJ. Thirdly, taking the first and second into account it helps (me) make a decision on where I might want to go for a night out or even a day out..

Having said this, I've read loads of playlists on here over the years and now I read only about 10% of them, those where experience has shown me there will be something interesting, so I might only read particular lists by venue or DJ listed in the post who I know have a similar musical taste or policy to me.

Over the years I've learned the venues and DJ's where its the usual fair of say Top 50 oldies, or R&B etc so I skip these.

So I give them a useful vote  yes :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Yes to playlists from me too. Not that I get out much nowadays but when I visit family back in England I do like to get a nite (or an afternoon in) and knowing what type of music to expect is my main consideration. I do think that stating demo/issue/french etc next to the title is a bit too much though. Playlists linked to events listings might work but what I'd like to see in every event listing is a clear indication as to whether the event is OVO or not.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 03/08/2017 at 12:59, bbrich said:

Sorry, just seen question. By "authenticity" I was meaning more than just a comment, but a commitment. Taking Washpan as an example, I would prefer to know the DJ played an original Tomangoes rather than a look-a-like boot. But not just an OVO argument, I like to know if a record is played from British / USA for example, it tells me something about the DJ preference or interest, that I find I find interesting. But I guess really that I equate a commitment not to play boots (short cut terminology for all such) with a DJ I have respect for. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Dean said:

Sorry, just seen question. By "authenticity" I was meaning more than just a comment, but a commitment. Taking Washpan as an example, I would prefer to know the DJ played an original Tomangoes rather than a look-a-like boot. But not just an OVO argument, I like to know if a record is played from British / USA for example, it tells me something about the DJ preference or interest, that I find I find interesting. But I guess really that I equate a commitment not to play boots (short cut terminology for all such) with a DJ I have respect for. 

Thanks Dean for clarification - i agree it is good to see that on a playlist.  When recording a playlist i copy & paste from my master database so it is easy to show label, US/UK, Demo/issue  (& all ovo!). 

Social source share

Not Arsed'.

Bit Too much Willy Waving in the past with playlists aimed at other DJ's, not punters.  And why do people who post their playlists feel the need to say if a track was a 'Request?' What difference does that make?.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Zed1 said:

Not Arsed'.

Bit Too much Willy Waving in the past with playlists aimed at other DJ's, not punters.  And why do people who post their playlists feel the need to say if a track was a 'Request?' What difference does that make?.

Agreed. There is too much ego around it from some. That's why I also pick and choose which I read.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Zed1 said:

Not Arsed'.

Adding "request" shows what the dj was asked to play, maybe not something that they would have otherwise played in their set.

Social source share

Playlists, Mixcloud, You tube, all good ways of hearing something different or getting that 'so that's what it is' moment.

In the Kenwood suite at Bury nighter some of the young soulies ask the DJ what was played and store the answer in their phones, I don't carry a phone out and I don't have the old pen and paper, I definitely wouldn't remember it if I was told so for me playlists are a yep !!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Widnes63
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Getting a heads up on what tunes I can expect  to hear is becoming more important to me when choosing venues. Helps to avoid the 'top 200'  and nasty pop records like Benny Troy, Micky Moonshine, Kiki Dee etc. 

Look forward to more playlists being posted..

Tim.

Social source share

On 8/5/2017 at 17:22, gogs said:

Adding "request" shows what the dj was asked to play, maybe not something that they would have otherwise played in their set.

The fact it's in his box show's it wasn't too far from his set surely?:g:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, chatty said:

The fact it's in his box show's it wasn't too far from his set surely?:g:

Anytime that i dj (few and far between) i always carry a 200 box, containing what i want to play but knowing the venue i also know what might be requested. I can actually name 3 times that a dj on later than me has asked for a record out of my box due to a request. This might be contentious but all dj's should know the venue.

Social source share

6 hours ago, gogs said:

Anytime that i dj (few and far between) i always carry a 200 box, containing what i want to play but knowing the venue i also know what might be requested. I can actually name 3 times that a dj on later than me has asked for a record out of my box due to a request. This might be contentious but all dj's should know the venue.

This happened to one of my dj pals over the weekend, he got asked to play There's A Ghost In My House even though he was back sat down after doing the set, he told the fella who was well oiled to ask one of the other jocks they either didn't have it or refused to play it. :rofl:  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!