Poll: DJ Playlist - Worthwhile?

Mike

Do you find dj playlists worthwhile?  

1. 1. Do you find dj playlists worthwhile?

• yep
    • nope

This poll is closed to new votes

• Sign in or join to vote
  • Poll closed on 18/08/17 at 09:55

21 hours ago, Steve G said:

Used to post playlists, stopped doing it a few years ago, agree with Dave's sentiments above. These days the venues I do DJ at, just turn up, play records, and go home at the end of the evening.

:wink:

Totally agree with your first sentence and Dave's sentiments as to why not to post playlists, some times you daren't even post up a want lol, but I do find your second sentence really sad or sad at the implication of how you don't have any feelings left of where you go and why you go, maybe I'm just reading into it something that aint there, hope so cos there really are some fantastic venues and clubs out there with fantastic music policies, atb dekka

• Up vote 2
Social source share

6 hours ago, dekka said:

Totally agree with your first sentence and Dave's sentiments as to why not to post playlists, some times you daren't even post up a want lol, but I do find your second sentence really sad or sad at the implication of how you don't have any feelings left of where you go and why you go, maybe I'm just reading into it something that aint there, hope so cos there really are some fantastic venues and clubs out there with fantastic music policies, atb dekka

I don't have very many records and most people would know everything that i play, when i do get to dj (mostly oldies nights), but occasionally i get to to dj at across the board nights and i find that i can still surprise some people (always good lol), but i do still put a lot of my play-lists up. This was the last one that i put up (again an oldies night)

Social source share

I would like to see more playlists from the US, as someone who lives there and plays at a successful monthly event, but it's pretty apparent that US representation on Soul Source is pretty small, and rather than have me be the only one posting lists, I don't bother. I did post a playlist once on one the FB groups. It didn't seem to get any attention, so that leads me to further conclude that the Soul Source and FB groups are either not interested - or for whatever reason - discouraging - playlists from the US. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

6 minutes ago, George G said:

I would like to see more playlists from the US, as someone who lives there and plays at a successful monthly event, but it's pretty apparent that US representation on Soul Source is pretty small, and rather than have me be the only one posting lists, I don't bother. I did post a playlist once on one the FB groups. It didn't seem to get any attention, so that leads me to further conclude that the Soul Source and FB groups are either not interested - or for whatever reason - discouraging - playlists from the US. 

George why not give them a go on here ?

if you look at the poll and comments  above then am sure they be appreciated by many

always had a wide range of members on here and would imagine that many of our current members  be well interested in seeing what sounds are getting pushed out your way and elsewhere

me for one, get em up  :thumbsup:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/forum/128-playlists-podcasts/

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 hours ago, mike said:

George why not give them a go on here ?

if you look at the poll and comments  above then am sure they be appreciated by many

always had a wide range of members on here and would imagine that many of our current members  be well interested in seeing what sounds are getting pushed out your way and elsewhere

me for one, get em up  :thumbsup:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/forum/128-playlists-podcasts/

Second that ... it would be interesting to compare lists from either side of the Atlantic, and what sort of influence these might have on each other.

Isn't FB more about broadcasting than listening, anyway?? :rofl:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mickey Finn said:

Second that ... it would be interesting to compare lists from either side of the Atlantic, and what sort of influence these might have on each other.

Isn't FB more about broadcasting than listening, anyway?? :rofl:

I'll third that! I'd like to see what they are spinning in the states. After all, that's where the majority of the sounds originated from :yes:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 08/08/2017 at 18:13, dekka said:

Dekka you are reading way too much into the second sentence. I wouldn't go to a venue if I didn't enjoy it.

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 8/7/2017 at 20:53, Steve G said:

Used to post playlists, stopped doing it a few years ago, agree with Dave's sentiments above. These days the venues I do DJ at, just turn up, play records, and go home at the end of the evening.

:wink:

I don't have very many records and most of my dj spots are very similar (mostly because i'm mainly known as a oldies dj) and that is where i get my spots; but i still regularly still put my spots up. So be brave and let us see what you are playing.

Social source share

:hatsoff2:I touched on this subject in the record club today, in them old days, when events were word of mouth, and there was only about half a dozen top soul clubs playing Rare Up-tempo Soul or Up-tempo Pop that fitted into the scene,  Also the top DJs who played the latest sounds, got the tag like that's a Ginger/Eddie, Richard, Tony or Discovery, or a Cats, Torch, VAVA or Mecca sound, today apart from the likes of BUTCH who are the top DJs & with just one look at the venue page, for any week, should tell you, as it does me, how do you decide which event to go to, most people these days go to a venue because that's where they meet their friends, not because it has a top dancefloor or top DJs?  So I would strongly disagree with the statement on how much influence I would get, However if it was with a gun pointed at my head Ady C & the 100 club stands alone in KEEPING THE FAITH,:yes:KTF DAVE K

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 03:02, George G said:

It would be nice to see one of your playlists please George, I am sure the regulars on this site would really appreciate it. :) :hatsoff2: 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 8/6/2017 at 09:56, Widnes63 said:

Playlists, Mixcloud, You tube, all good ways of hearing something different or getting that 'so that's what it is' moment.

In the Kenwood suite at Bury nighter some of the young soulies ask the DJ what was played and store the answer in their phones, I don't carry a phone out and I don't have the old pen and paper, I definitely wouldn't remember it if I was told so for me playlists are a yep !!! :thumbsup:

It used to be a little black book (I still have mine somewhere) Some ask, then take a quick photo (On their phones of course) :wink:

The old memory is a problem for lots of us :D

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 8/3/2017 at 12:09, mike said:

Dj Playlists used to be a staple part of the soul source diet not so long ago.

Bit light nowadays, so thought how about poll to see what your take is here in 2017

Do you (or did you)  find them worthwhile?

A simple question with 'worthwhile' meaning as in useful, interesting , entertaining, informative etc etc

a simple yah/nah choice , 2 weeks running

Certainly myself used to use think so

so whats the 2017 take...

ok the polls expired and so its now automatically closed 

I think looking at the results the 2017 members take on playlists is fairly clear with a  was it a  90-10% divide

thanks to all who took part both in the voting and the follow on discussion

was some interesting views posted :thumbsup:

nice one

mike

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!