Detroit the movie

I watched the movie Detroit last night it was a really good movie that I cannot stop thinking about. I was shocked that the dramatics lead singer larry Reed was one of the youths in the hotel. They sing the classic song it's all because of you wuite a few times in the movie. Great movie.:thumbsup:

Edited by thfcliam
Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm looking forward to seeing the film but I'll probably wait for the dvd. From what I've seen there's been extremly mixed reactions so far in the States. My own view  (from the reactions I've seen so far and without seeing it myself) is that the more you know about the incident (and the background)  the more critical you are likely to be about the film. And vice-verca. 

I'm sure there will be quite  a backlash as time goes on. Strangley it would appear that the film's central character is Melvin Dismukes (the black security guard who was at the motel with the police) and is quite favourable to him. I find this really strange if it's true. He was actually charged with"felonious assault" on the testimony of witnesses present - but like all those charged was found not guilty . He was also quite happy to be photographed with the three  police officers who were charged with the killings.

Social source share

1 hour ago, maslar said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the film but I'll probably wait for the dvd. From what I've seen there's been extremly mixed reactions so far in the States. My own view  (from the reactions I've seen so far and without seeing it myself) is that the more you know about the incident (and the background)  the more critical you are likely to be about the film. And vice-verca. 

I'm sure there will be quite  a backlash as time goes on. Strangley it would appear that the film's central character is Melvin Dismukes (the black security guard who was at the motel with the police) and is quite favourable to him. I find this really strange if it's true. He was actually charged with"felonious assault" on the testimony of witnesses present - but like all those charged was found not guilty . He was also quite happy to be photographed with the three  police officers who were charged with the killings.

Yeah I have read a few bad reviews on IDMD saying how it wasn't true to the facts. But what I've researched about it online reading about it a lot of it did actually happen. It's a movie and I know they are going to probably exaggerate things and it seems like no one really knows properly what went on in that hotel but there was something defaintly not right about the whole thing just like there wasn't with the Tottenham riots. I'm going to have to research it more but I enjoyed the film alot it was tense and I never got bored once. It was good it showed quite a bit of the music side as well.  

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!