Buddy Ace reissue?

Liamgp

A mate bought a copy of Buddy Ace's 'This Little Love of Mine' recently and asked to compare it to my copy. Both look almost identical to each other except mine has a Monarch number and his doesn't. Does this make it a reissue or did Duke records use other pressing plants who may have not used the easily identifiable matrix numbers that Monarch had?

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I was the seller :-(

I'm trying to find out myself, as yet I haven't heard back from the dealer in the US who I bought it from as an 'original'.

But I get the feeling that this might be a 'Don Robey' illicit money maker, he seems to have had that sort of reputation of just printing up 'extras'.

Social source share

Just now, Oldfeet said:

I was the seller :-(

I'm trying to find out myself, as yet I haven't heard back from the dealer in the US who I bought it from as an 'original'.

But I get the feeling that this might be a 'Don Robey' illicit money maker, he seems to have had that sort of reputation of just printing up 'extras'.

Wow, hope you're not offended with me trying to get to the bottom of this. As far as I can see, the records are practically identical except for the missing Monarch number and the serial numbers are a bit different and your one has a small '82' next to the number. I can't recall ever seeing a boot or repress of this except the obvious Outta Sight one. It must be from another pressing plant - possibly to meet demand - which may or may not put it in the non-original category.  

Social source share

Why would I be offended! I'm a collector too :-)

I'd really love to know where this one was pressed and when it was pressed. As I said above it came from a reputable dealer so hopefully there might be some information that tells us something. I've already spoken to several others and none of us where aware of this being pressed twice. 

One interesting comment was that if it's a boot/re-issue it may have been pressed up for a different scene than the soul scene, maybe the doo-wop collectors.

Social source share

Just now, Oldfeet said:

Why would I be offended! I'm a collector too :-)

I'd really love to know where this one was pressed and when it was pressed. As I said above it came from a reputable dealer so hopefully there might be some information that tells us something. I've already spoken to several others and none of us where aware of this being pressed twice. 

One interesting comment was that if it's a boot/re-issue it may have been pressed up for a different scene than the soul scene, maybe the doo-wop collectors.

You'll be pleased to know he's going to keep it! I am of the opinion that it is a re-press (produced for a variety of possible reasons) but whether made in the early 60s or later I doubt we'll ever know.

Social source share

That is great news he's keeping the record, if I find out anything I'll be the first to let everyone know.

I was reminded that I raised a similar question 3 years ago when a whole bunch of mint records on Rojac/Ovide/Zodiac/Peacock/Sure-Shot turned up.

All in that same Texas area as Duke records and was advised at the time that the 'rumour' was that there were records in storage, not that I have seen them :-)

Social source share

The record dealer from the US has sent a very detailed reply which hopefully shows that it's an original, here's his message:

It is an 100% original. The copies I have originally came out of Buckley's Record Shop out of Nashville which operated through the 1950's or earlier and closed in 1974. The owner moved the records to Guthrie,KY where he retired to and sold them out of some large tin buildings there.They ran an ad in Goldmine Magazine advertising them in the 1980's and they were all auctioned off there in June 1987 after he died. I got them from some old hoarder that bought a pickup truck load at the auction and left them in a old house full of his junk for over 25 years untouched. I bought about 12,000 records which were mostly in 25 count boxes 3 or 4 years ago.I only have a few copies of this one left now. Buckley's was one of the 3 big Nashville distributors with Randy's and Ernie's and they all had weekly radio shows on Sunday to advertise their shops that broadcasted all over the east coast which introduced much of this music to the public. A friend of mine bought a similar stash that had been in a school bus south of Nashville a few years ago that came out of the same auction with mostly different titles. I got a lot of Duke records including the Buddy Ace,Miss Lavell,multiple Jr Parker,several Bobby Bland,Earl Forrest and a lot of Song Bird gospel titles.I had to clean the old record mold release film off of them on my VPI cleaner.

Social source share

Just now, Oldfeet said:

The record dealer from the US has sent a very detailed reply which hopefully shows that it's an original, here's his message:

It is an 100% original. The copies I have originally came out of Buckley's Record Shop out of Nashville which operated through the 1950's or earlier and closed in 1974. The owner moved the records to Guthrie,KY where he retired to and sold them out of some large tin buildings there.They ran an ad in Goldmine Magazine advertising them in the 1980's and they were all auctioned off there in June 1987 after he died. I got them from some old hoarder that bought a pickup truck load at the auction and left them in a old house full of his junk for over 25 years untouched. I bought about 12,000 records which were mostly in 25 count boxes 3 or 4 years ago.I only have a few copies of this one left now. Buckley's was one of the 3 big Nashville distributors with Randy's and Ernie's and they all had weekly radio shows on Sunday to advertise their shops that broadcasted all over the east coast which introduced much of this music to the public. A friend of mine bought a similar stash that had been in a school bus south of Nashville a few years ago that came out of the same auction with mostly different titles. I got a lot of Duke records including the Buddy Ace,Miss Lavell,multiple Jr Parker,several Bobby Bland,Earl Forrest and a lot of Song Bird gospel titles.I had to clean the old record mold release film off of them on my VPI cleaner.

OK, as I say it is identical to the Monarch press other than the numbering, so clearly from another plant.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!