PayPal error my fault

Jazz

Hi folks any ideas on this paid for some records threw PayPal but sent the money to the wrong person my fault I no I missed a t of the name so it's gone else we're the chap as received my money but will not answer my emails or refund me been intouch with PayPal they have tried calling him and sent him emails but will not answer PayPal says there is nothing they can do it's only £200 but is the principal as he should just refund it any help appreciated thanx jazz 

Social source share

If, as you say, the recipient is not even responding to PayPal, that is pretty short-sighted on his part. If your payment came via your credit card, rather than a balance in your PayPal account, it may be worth having a chat wth your credit card company, they may be able to do something.

I work on the theory that the vast majority of people are decent and honest, so you've been very unlucky there.

£200 is a lot of money to lose. Good luck in trying to get it back.

Social source share

Has it definetely gone to somebody else ?

i had a buyer spell my name wrong but the email as he typed it didnt exist so he was able to simply cancel the transaction.

its really unlucky to get it wrong by a letter and for that wrong email to be linked to a paypal account.

Social source share

Was this through Friends and Family? If it's through goods and services you should be able to open a paypal case for goods not received after 30days and get your cash back that way, whereas if it was through friends and family then I don't think you'll see the cash again unless the person who you sent it to does the right thing.

Social source share

I've read your email and if I've understood it correctly you may have sent £200 to the wrong person. Do you know this person or was it an unlucky random occurrence?   As was mentioned above there is a possibility that it has  not been collected and is pending for collection. Eventually you can retrieve the amount.  Otherwise speak to your credit card company. I have a feeling though that you will have to rely on the person to whom you sent the money . 

Social source share

20 hours ago, jazz said:

Hi folks any ideas on this paid for some records threw PayPal but sent the money to the wrong person my fault I no I missed a t of the name so it's gone else we're the chap as received my money but will not answer my emails or refund me been intouch with PayPal they have tried calling him and sent him emails but will not answer PayPal says there is nothing they can do it's only £200 but is the principal as he should just refund it any help appreciated thanx jazz 

Here's a sure fire way to get reimbursed. Put in a claim for non-receipt of goods, Paypal will demand recipient for proof of posting (tracking number) he/she wont be able to provide it and Paypal will reimburse you. Good luck........

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Thanx guys according to PayPal he as the money in is PayPal but they can't touch it without is say so if he don't refund me they say there's nothing they can do my friend is a barrister he's gonna send him a email threatening to take legal action it wax sent f&f so I think I've f..ked it 😂 Never mind you live and learn I'll post if owt comes of it one again thanx to all a replied jazz skint 😢

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Here's a sure fire way to get reimbursed. Put in a claim for non-receipt of goods, Paypal will demand recipient for proof of posting (tracking number) he/she wont be able to provide it and Paypal will reimburse you. Good luck........

can you do that if its a F &F?

Social source share

2 minutes ago, JNixon said:

can you do that if its a F &F?

You mean Friends & Family ? No only if you use Purchased Goods. In the future I suggest you make all purchases that way (unless you know and trust seller 100000000%) and add the Paypal commision so seller gets 100% net amount, you don't pay more (I think).

Edited by Chris L
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, davidwapples said:

If it is a large amount for something get the seller to send you an invoice, that way you know it's going to the right place 

It was down to me the sellers name had double t in it I sent the money to someone with 1 t in it 

Social source share

I did this a couple of years ago...i rang PayPal direct (Ireland)within 10 mins they reimbursed money to my account...they suspend the recipient who should have responded to my request to send money back or if he's enough in his account they take it out of his ...paypal was great with my experience of this ... hope  this helps

Dave L 

Edited by lfcjunkie
Spelling mistakes
Social source share

It is illegal to keep money paid to yourself or bank account the law clearly states and here it is verbatim...

Keeping any money wrongly credited to your account could lead to you being charged with 'Retaining wrongful credit'. The 1968 Theft act defines this as: "A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it".

It goes on to say that: "A person is guilty of an offence if:

1. 1.

a wrongful credit has been made to an account kept by him or in respect of which he has any right or interest;

2. 2.

he knows or believes that the credit is wrongful; and he dishonestly fails to take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to secure that the credit is cancelled."

tell the police

Geeooooordie

Social source share

15 hours ago, Johnny Northern said:

So what is the advantage of having a paypal account?

If you use the Purchase Goods or Services function you will be 100% protected. If you use the Friends and Family one you are not covered. Unfortunately most sellers (not me though) do ask for payment via F & F that way avoiding any commission that Paypal will deduct, if you're buying on here that way do discuss this with the seller.

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

45 minutes ago, Chris L said:

If you use the Purchase Goods or Services function you will be 100% protected. If you use the Friends and Family one you are not covered. Unfortunately most sellers (not me though) do ask for payment via F & F that way avoiding any commission that Paypal will deduct, if you're buying on here that way do discuss this with the seller.

Which is precisely why I always ask for this method if the buyer does not want to pay for tracked on items over 20 quid.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!