J Manship Auction Results 16/08/2017

Bo Diddley

Here goes with the first results on the new JM site! Not sure why some of the pic's are missing.

Homer Banks - Sweetie Pie / Lady Of Stone - Genie

Homer Banks

Sweetie Pie / Lady Of Stone

Genie Records: 46313 (45s)

As a raw youngster just left school, I was fascinated by Homer Banks; Collecting all his British release 45's, particularly treasuring his Twisted Wheel anthems on UK Liberty. 60 Minutes Of Your Love, A Lotta Love, Hooked By Love all life-changes for me, and stepping stones to the fertile vinyl-pastures of the USA to look for more Soul previous unknown to me..

It was not until the mid-70's when I established myself as a full time record dealer I started to receive those wonderfully informative "wants List" from Japan, Belgium etc. that opened my eyes to the realization I hadn't even scratched the surface of the Rare Soul Vinyl that was out there to be discovered. One Japanese listing had Homer Banks "Lady Of Stone" on Genie, a major Deep Soul want for those dedicated guys, it was used as the flipside on his Minit 32020 single with the great "Hooked by Love" heading up the a-side. So I had absolutely no idea the "Sweetie Pie" was granite status Northern Soul, and it was gonna be several years longer before I found out, rarity is the only reason that this 45 never graced the turntables of the destination Soul Clubs of the 70s.

So click the soundfile of a truly magnificent slab of Memphis Northern Soul, and unleash what we were deprived of during those long Saturday nights in Wigan or Cleethorpes... this would have certainly been a Monster, saturated in every element, to induce a spontaneous backdrop, an adventurous sweat-sprinkling spin or those timely hand-claps that resounded around those sardine-packed assemblies..

Homer was always a favourite with me, but my first copy of this seldom seen 45 elevated him to demigod status... even though it was long after my juvenile DJ career had stuttered to a halt.. 

Condition Report

A chance to own a Memphis Rarity is truly sublime condition. Both labels are a rich deep full red (a colour notorious for age-fade) Both vinyls are close to Manship-Mint. It don't get no better than this, when you meet up with an old friend after so long apart.

•  £402.00

Sorry, this auction has ended.

•  16/08/2017 18:04

Clarence Samuels - Charlie Loan Me 50c / Crying Cause I'm Troubled - Sharon

Clarence Samuels

Charlie Loan Me 50c / Crying Because I'm Troubled

Sharon: 112 (45s)

World renown Brooklyn Rare Soul DJ Micheal Robinson's lusted after cover-up, from his own neighborhood and it's SO RARE!

Pumping R&B floor-destroyer from an uncompromising doyen of the sound, strutting like the master of the fearsome R&B growl that he is. Suitably backed by a cocktail of horns, bluesy guitar riffs, squealing girls and approving male teammates... Clarence strolls through his self-penned lyrics becoming more demanding as he begs for 1/2 a dollar, to help pay his rent.. his plight never reaching a conclusion, and do we believe that's what the 50 cents is for, Mr. Samuels paints a picture Brooklyn neighborhood life, embedded into a convincing R&B dance arrangement.

Flip it over, and Clarence plies his skilled interpretation of 60's Blues.. he pours out despair and misery by the gallon..

Wanna own an international A-list DJ's cover up? in astonishingly flawless condition..here's a rare opportunity to do so..

Condition Report

Both labels retain full depth of orange colour, no age-fade, no ring rub, no stains, tears or writing, not even an X to spoil the view. The vinyl, both sides reflect the purity of this disc not a blemish anywhere from it 5 decades filed away. This is perfection of the rarest level.

•  £462.00

•  16/08/2017 18:02

Gene Chandler - Mr. Big Shot / I Hate To Be The One To Say - Constellation

Gene Chandler

Mr. Big Shot / I Hate To Be The One To Say

Constellation: 172 (45s)

I've always been a sucker for labels, especially the variations you least see, the particularly attractive ones, the eye-catching conversation-pieces that outside the norm.

Chicago's Constellation label is a series littered with different label designs, some stand out way above the others. This Los Angeles conceived, white curved logo, with the "sky" full of stars and the silver text for the artist and title credits gleaming below; I consider the prettiest of them all, ironically also the rarest variation. So when it's the vehicle for one of the label's best-loved recordings. A Northern Soul juggernaut of immense magnitude, that label becomes even more desirable..

Washington meets Chicago, with "Shrine" pupils Keni Lewis & Carl Kidd writing inspirational lyrics, which Sonny Sanders decorates with honkin' horns, Mike Terry-esque Baritone burps, vibes, split in two by an insane saxophone attack. This is KITCHEN SINK Northern Soul cram-packed with all the instruments we adore, peppered with a qualified lead vocal, considerate male harmony chorus.. proper stomper to remind us what Northern Soul really is.. exciting, motivational, escapism into an unparalleled world of music. So we could easily not both to mention the flipside, couldn't we...

Except for the fact, it's simplistic "Eddie Foster" styled intro takes you by the hand to lead through a Northern Soul dancer that is in it's own right, utterly brilliant, I can only describe it as Gene Chandler's second best Northern Soul offering, after "Big Shot"

Gene Chandler's two finest NS recordings both conjured up by Carl Kidd & Keni Lewis and saturated in "Shrine" qualities, offered here on a rarely witnessed West Coast press..

What's not to love.. ?

Condition Report

Flawless West Coast labels, vinyl is unblemished, a fine clean copy

•  £327.00

•  16/08/2017 18:00

Dynamics - Woman / Because I Love You - Brainstorm

Dynamics

Woman / Because I Love You

Brainstorm: 259399 (45s)

I think blindfolded every seasoned Soul collector, would declare this recording was from the streets "Chicago" is drips with the very essence of the city, but has sat on the back-burner of Northern Soul prominence for decades now. But the growth of the "Rare and under-played" "Sunday Soul Chill-outs" have ultimately raised awareness in this "sleeper" once again.. surprising has it has all the credentials to grace a top-jocks set, turn heads and fire a dancefloor.

Both sides shimmer with raw street-corner charm, after many spins I've decided to lead with "Woman" and it's mosaic of "buddy" vocals that pull you into that dark area of appreciation for under-touched D.I.Y. production. It has everything those big-ticket NS Chicagoan's command and more. Why this has bubbled away on the back-burner for decades is quite baffling... check out the brilliant simplicity of the pitch and counter-pitched vocal

Condition Report

Both labels althgough free of any flaws, no stains, no writing, no tears, they reveal very light surface rub (see scans of these two Pop-art street designs ) Vinyl few light surface marks on the a-side, flipside vinyl has two surface turntable retrieve marks from a user fingernasil, these are light and in no way effect the stylus. Just a visual flaw, as you can hear both sides play clean & true.

•  £312.00

Ruby Sherry - Feminine Ingenuity / Please Don't Go - Take 6

Ruby Sherry

Feminine Ingenuity / Please Don't Go

Take 6: 1002 (45s)

A most popular Los Angeles double girl delight, an elusive 45 to secure, as universal demand always frustrates the chase. 

The topside drumroll intro sets the pace for this NS classic that always lifts the room, as Ruby's saccharine voice cuts the air, the percussion and horns cradle her irresistible presence. "Feminine Ingenuity" must refer to her alluring power to seduce.. Northern Soul seduction is what it is.. it shouldn't be allowed; the beauty of the disc is enough but when a singers voice makes your loins quiver..that is so out order.. 

The equally impressive flipside offers a sultry mid-tempo NS stroller with Ruby in a softer but equally sexy-mood, projecting her voice as a beguiling "Stay With Me" tone fills the air. With her girlfriends heightening the atmosphere with shrill response, this is another flirtatious offering . A top-drawer example of girl persuasion at work, currently crossing over to those "Sunday Chill sessions" for the more discerning ears, feet and libido ..

Having said all that you's at least expect a filthy label, a bit of dirt on the vinyl, but no this disc, is squeaky clean... nothing like suggestive lady who's impeccably dressed!

Condition Report

Near flawless vinyls, reveal only a few wispy surface brushes, plays MINT. Label status, there is tiny, minuscule name on a-side label (see scan and be prepared ti squint) flipside label unblemished

•  £387.00

•  16/08/2017 18:02

Bobby O'Brown - Searching For My Baby / I Can Feel My Love Growing - Single B

Bobby O'Brown

Searching For My Baby / I Can Feel My Love Growing

Single B: 111 (45s)

Rattling bongos open up this desperate search for Bobby Brown's baby, aided by an insistent team of male vocals chanting their willingness to locate his lost love. 

Creating an utterly compelling Detroit-delight with those addictive rhythms so right for today's dancefloor. Gravelly vocal, journeying through funky riffs, punctuated by backing chorus chants, give this dancer a real attention grabbing cutting edge. The style that scythes through all that the night has so far given up to dance to... one of those records that you unwittingly take home in your head. Then chase around YouTube for a closer listen..

But this is no one-trick-left-winger, flip it over for "Low-Rider" excellence in it's rawest form as the pace falls to it's knees on the blanket of harmony. Again Bobby's tortured vocal takes center-stage as he unashamedly spills out every ounce of his despair when he discovers his girl has been untrue. which only makes his love stronger; the uncredited backing boys reach the top of their game, as seamless harmony swells from a trickle to a flood as there sympathies grow. 

Two enormous tunes, yet to receive the consistent DJ attention they cry out for, perfect for today's dance-floor, with the flip threatening to take venues like "Diggin' Deeper" by the throat and gently squeeze a few tears from the eyes of grown men.

Condition Report

strong light reveals only signs of play, but no marks whatsoever, strong clean visual Mint minus with audio to match. A-side label is free of flaws, just very mild face-rub, X on flipside label (see scans)

•  £210.00

Lynne Randell - Stranger In My Arms - CBS Australia

Lynne Randell

Stranger In My Arms / Ciao Baby

CBS Australia: CBS BA 221387 (45s)

Northern Soul Myths…

this timeless New York recorded, whilst taking a day off from her 1967 tour of the US with The Monkees, and going under the wing of the great Herb Bernstien (a man guaranteed to give a production his full attention). This Northern Soul classic has more than it’s fair share of “Fake News” none more than being the misconception that this 1967 Australian is it’s rarest form, far from it once we consult our precise 20 year sales data on this timeless slab of Northern Soul that first came to the fore as it’s rare British press , so we thought we would lift the fog surrounding the with a JM table of it sales history

Australian 45 – 12 copies 
USA 45 stock – 4 copies with picture cover (it's first release)
USA 45 Promo – 14 copies with or without Picture Cover
British 45 DEMO – 2 copies
British 45 release copy – ZERO 

So far from being the rarest, it is close to being the commonest of its various formats. 
But what is RARE is this 45’s unsurpassed condition, flawless “like new” mint minus vinyl, utterly unblemished labels, still sleeping in the elusive Oz polythene CBS birth-sleeve.
This is one for those of you seeking perfection whilst hunting down the timeless Northern Soul classics. Not forgetting the enviable durability of Australian vinyl as opposed to the frailties o Columbia pressed styrene..
To think Lynne Randell is Australian, or her Australian 45 is it’s rarest form is to “myth” the point that this is surely the greatest Northern Soul 45 ever recorded by a scouser.

To consider this killer tune an Australia recording and it's the rarest format and to christen Lynne is Australian by birth is to "myth" the point completely.. 

Condition Report

Condition. Could not be more salivating, perhaps previously unplayed store file copy with perfect label protected for over 50 by it seldom seen polythene CBS Oz sleeve. AS good as it gets condition & NS music<br /> <br />

•  £313.00

Alfie Davison - Love Is Serious Business - Mercury

Alfie Davison

Love Is Serious Business / Knock On Any Door

Mercury: 76001 (45s)

Have you grown tired of hearing this Northern Soul anthem yet.. no? Neither have I, like intelligent, witty conversation, it is drenched in that unknown quality of the unexpected that you just don't get tired of hearing.

As Bruce Kapler, Alfie Davison & Norman Bergen shun all the crass Disco cliches that surrounded then in 1979, embarking on a slick blend of subtlety and craft. As the trio slowly lift the recording with sweetly caressed horns, swirling strings, sweeping girl choruses, and a skilled sax-break tat right up there with the very best.. and with all this going on Mr. Davison resists the temptation of letting his voice hit "Michael Bolton" pitches that would surely have destroy the whole glorios ease of the moment..

Every component fits so perfectly into place, providing the dancer with a Northern Soul feelgood 3:30 minutes of mood changing 70's dance. So many bad choices in the production could have been made, but thankfully were rejecting; making for a 70's masterpiece we have yet to tire of..

Condition Report

A flawless 1979 original copy housed in it's birth sleeve, vinyl has only the slightest signs of play under strong light, audio is perfet. Labels, sleeve are all impeccable condition also.

•  £387.00

© 2017 John Manship Records. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Website Made by iWeb |  

Edited by bo diddley
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

In the days between the Torch and Wigan, when the Mecca was the place to  be on a Saturday night, I found 2 UK issue copies of Lynne Randell on a market stall in Blackpool on the Sunday after I first heard it at the Mecca. I remember a certain Mr Levine not being over impressed when i had them for sale the following Saturday. He was even less impressed that  Colin was laughing his cock off to boot.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 hours ago, Patto said:

Ive got one of those Gene Chandler  Mr Big Shot on the Stars design west coast issue.£327 never thought it would fetch that much is it a lot rarer than the Standard East Coaster.

Never seen the stars design until this auction - must be very rare. Another tune that's finally getting the recognition it deserves. Pure Northern and then some.

Social source share

11 hours ago, Benji said:

I found 75 copies of Lynne Randell US issue with demo sticker and P/S in the late 90s. Sold them for 20 quic each to Mick Smith. What happended to all these copies?

I remember having a couple off you, they were stunning.  The Aussie one is worth £50 tops.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!