Tony Blackburn - Sound of the 60's

Paul Capon

42 minutes ago, garswood said:

He played Eddie Parker - I'm gone in the first hour, sure I heard him say he has an original but was playing it off a cd

I wondered what the £6k record was that they mentioned they'd played in the last hour. Who is the 'Phil' bringing these in and playing them (I only caught 15 mins of the show). 

Social source share

10 minutes ago, mark tobin said:

The guy played Gwen Owens -wanted and needed a couple of weeks ago, couldn't believe it.

seems to be a serious collector.

250.000 plus records he has

he has played Lillie Bryant and other rarities too.

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Wow...fascinating...thank you for posting....Rob

would be interesting to know if mr swern is a soul collector, or has just amassed so many records that these rarities he has were picked up in bulk from radio stations etc.

He must have a liking for soul as quite a bit is programmed into the shows he produces, even going back to SOTS with Brian Matthew.  I think he is just a lover of music though rather than anyone one genre.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Hiya, over the years especially on radio 2, Phil ' the collector ' swern gets credited for info on tracks played. Brian Mathews (rip) always gave him a mention at the end of his shows, he provides info on different genres of music. Don't remember Brian Mathews mentioning his name early to mid 90's but certainly some obscure for radio 2 tracks played back then, I remember hearing Beverly Ann Gibson plus plenty of other stuff and this was well before the soul fan requests started. Cheers

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hmmm, yes I heard it this morning too...

There was a nice little pre-amble from Phil 'the collector' Swern, as soon as he mentioned the FIP label, I turned the radio up, ready for an unexpected treat, only to hear that the Mel Britt track was a re-recording of some some description, with an extended fade and looped vocals. The beat sounded digitised and 'Northerned up'. Not heard that version before and I don't particularly want to hear it again. 

Sounds of the Sixties was better when Jimmy Tarbuck presented it in my humble opinion. He really seemed to know his stuff, he played lots of obscure American recordings too. In those days he was playing real records and not some mp3 or Wav file that hasn't been checked for authenticity. 

Sorry for being a bit grumpy, but I've had few pints  :)

Edited by Soul16
Spelling
Social source share

2 hours ago, Soul16 said:

There was a nice little pre-amble from Phil 'the collector' Swern, as soon as he mentioned the FIP label, I turned the radio up, ready for an unexpected treat, only to hear that the Mel Britt track was a re-recording of some some description, with an extended fade and looped vocals. The beat sounded digitised and 'Northerned up'. Not heard that version before and I don't particularly want to hear it again. 

Sounds of the Sixties was better when Jimmy Tarbuck presented it in my humble opinion. He really seemed to know his stuff, he played lots of obscure American recordings too. In those days he was playing real records and not some mp3 or Wav file that hasn't been checked for authenticity. 

Jimmy Tarbuck?  How many pints have you had?

Social source share

9 hours ago, Soul16 said:

It could have been the Ian Levine Strange World of Northern Soul take. You Tube it.

Social source share

21 minutes ago, Soul16 said:

Not that many thankfully! Jimmy presented the show in the 1980's. 

Don't think he was a regular was he?  The show used someone different every week mid to late 80s.  Brian Matthew took over in 1990 from Simon Dee who'd been presenting for a year or so?  Keith Fordyce was the original present, 1983-85.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

22 minutes ago, chalky said:

Don't think he was a regular was he?  The show used someone different every week mid to late 80s.  Brian Matthew took over in 1990 from Simon Dee who'd been presenting for a year or so?  Keith Fordyce was the original present, 1983-85.

You are probably right there, maybe I just recall JT because the music he played seemed to include plenty of obscure American danceable records that appealed to my ears. I do remember that he seemed to be very knowledgeable (may have been scripted by someone else of course) about the records he played. 

I used to listen to SOTS at work on a regular basis and when Brian Matthew took over, the show definitely went a lot more 'middle of the road' in terms of music policy.

Tony Blackburn is OK, but I reckon they should have handed the show over to Dale Winton :yes: (really)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!