The Guardian's take on a NS top 10

Article very well written, and most selections justifiable. I would have included Nosmo King instead of Wayne Gibson, but honestly, there would be another hundred worthier selections. Enjoyed the read as a heck of a lot of research had gone into it. The Guardian as a newspaper has really improved in recent years.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I was about to post this so glad I'm not the messenger everyone will launch at!  I'm assuming Frankie Crocker is smoking a Ton of Dynamite and posting with a wink.  Wayne Gibson -  baaaa.  No Jerry Williams 'If You Ask Me', Seven Souls - oh we could all go on for years with favourites.  Jeez getting to the end I see 'Stop Girl' in the top ten, ever!   I know NS isn't just about Soul but this just makes me a bit sad.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Had a giggle about Tony Clarke being white !  Maybe the writer has only seen the poor quaility TV footage of him singing and not photos of this fine soul man?   As for wayne Gibson and the Seven Dwarfs....  these type of records are just embarrassing and hardly  “... a sensational sound”as Lenny Gamble might say  ;)  So many better records out there!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Read half of the article on the Guardian app on the way back from work today. At least the guy seemed to know what he was writing about. Had to chuckle when he wrote that it would be pointless to list 10 classic oldies and then proceeded to do just that ! Well the 1st 5 I haven"t read it all yet but exspect more of the same. Al in all a decent and positive read I thought.

Cheers Paul

Edited by soul shrews
spelling !
Social source share

51 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

that one you linked to is a ebay advertising feature  :wicked:

given that this is uk mainstream  we are talking about thought not that a bad effort ?

the geezer does state some of the pitfalls and qualifies the limitations etc etc 

after all , the only northern soul top ten I would ever agree with would be my very own , and am sure that be the same for everyone else... yep?

Social source share

2 minutes ago, mike said:

that one you linked to is a ebay advertising feature  :wicked:

given that this is uk mainstream  we are talking about thought not that a bad effort ?

the geezer does state some of the pitfalls and qualifies the limitations etc etc 

after all , the only northern soul top ten I would ever agree with would be my very own , and am sure that be the same for everyone else... yep?

Whilst I agree any top ten is subjective, I said as much on the guardian page, I doubt very much you will hear Wayne Gibson at many venues, it certainly wouldn't be a top ten choice for too many, the same for 7 Dwarfs except Zed1 :lol:  Fascinations, top ten, really?  I doubt those three would make the top 500?  two or three others I doubt would make a top ten although they might in a some peoples choices.  I can think of a couple of 100 that would make better choices.

Social source share

1 hour ago, WoodButcher said:

ask paul mason

motown too commercial

I just want to take a baseball bat to most of the posters.

and I've been trying so hard to be nice recently.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 minutes ago, chalky said:

Whilst I agree any top ten is subjective, I said as much on the guardian page, I doubt very much you will hear Wayne Gibson at many venues, it certainly wouldn't be a top ten choice for too many, the same for 7 Dwarfs except Zed1 :lol:  Fascinations, top ten, really?  I doubt those three would make the top 500?  two or three others I doubt would make a top ten although they might in a some peoples choices.  I can think of a couple of 100 that would make better choices.

its not the actual records that were listed  imo, its more about the way the listing is/was delivered

sure can all agree or disagree on the actual choice, after all it is just a list of records

so will still say that given its msm it's not that bad ... imo

certainly seen a lot worse 'features'

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, mike said:

its not the actual records that were listed  imo, its more about the way the listing is/was delivered

sure can all agree or disagree on the actual choice, after all it is just a list of records

so will still say that given its msm it's not that bad ... imo

certainly seen a lot worse 'features'

I think we'll find fault in anything written by an "outsider" :D

• Up vote 3
Social source share

The Fascinations released on Mayfield in 1971? Does that make my UK Stateside and Sue copies rare then, since they were released here before the record actually came out? :g: 

Sorry thought it was just another poor write up, how anyone can cite "Afternoon of the Rhino" in an all time Top 10 beggars belief. has anyone actually played it out since 1975?  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Who said it was meant to be an "all time best northern soul top ten"? It's one person choosing ten northern soul tracks that THEY happen to like - fair play to them, thought it was an intelligently written feature.

What's the famous quote? Northern Soul Top Tens are like arseholes... everyone's got one? 😜

Social source share

15 minutes ago, cover-up said:

Who said it was meant to be an "all time best northern soul top ten"? It's one person choosing ten northern soul tracks that THEY happen to like - fair play to them, thought it was an intelligently written feature.

What's the famous quote? Northern Soul Top Tens are like arseholes... everyone's got one? 😜

It says "Northern Soul - Ten Of The Best" that is stretching it a little don't you think, certainly some of the choices.

Social source share

4 minutes ago, chalky said:

It says "Northern Soul - Ten Of The Best" that is stretching it a little don't you think, certainly some of the choices.

But what is "the best"? Everyone on here can compile a Top Ten of what they think is the best (I'd love to see them!) - and every single one of them would be unique and personal to each compiler. If you opened The Guardian and read a "Butch's current top ten acetates" it would be of very limited interest - the author of the piece obviously had to balance things out a bit. I'd never heard the Seven Dwarfs (has it or does it get spins?) but was glad he ended on something which wasn't too obvious, and possibly "controversial"...

Social source share

7 minutes ago, cover-up said:

I'd never heard the Seven Dwarfs (has it or does it get spins?) but was glad he ended on something which wasn't too obvious, and possibly "controversial"...

'Stop Girl' is a great Northern Soul record, but not a 'Soul' record. A distinction many seem to struggle with.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Everyone a cracker at some point in history of the northern scene other than that awful mike post.   In my opinion. !Hate to do it but here goes.    Ktf ! There lve said it 🎶🎶🎶😱

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
3 hours ago, Zed1 said:

Clearly I must be "embarrassing" as well then given I think the 7 Dwarfs is a fab 'Northern' tune. 

7 dwarfs is great IMO first time lve heard it sounds like a keb discovery even though he's moved on  fair play to him  👏👍😤🎶🎶

Social source share

11 hours ago, chalky said:

If you can get 200 into a top 10 you're in the wrong job mate, you should be leading the brexit negotiations :D.

Social source share

13 hours ago, Spain pete said:

7 dwarfs is great IMO first time lve heard it sounds like a keb discovery even though he's moved on  fair play to him  👏👍😤🎶🎶

Wigan pop sh*te. I can't see how any of the nasty ones slot legitimiately into a 'Top 10' - gives quite a skewed impression of Northern.

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

As much as I'm not a fan of the article...and I've put it in the "it's his opinion pile" - what's more irritating is  most of the "bandwaggoning and I can pee higher" comments left on the guardian site(not SS), and these I've put in the "this puts the essence of the scene back years"

Social source share

21 minutes ago, Kenb said:

As much as I'm not a fan of the article...and I've put it in the "it's his opinion pile" - what's more irritating is  most of the "bandwaggoning and I can pee higher" comments left on the guardian site(not SS), and these I've put in the "this puts the essence of the scene back years"

trouble is his opinion is hopelessly out of date. Irrelevant, and ill informed. But he gets to say if in a national paper because he's part of an left wing.elite that sees ns as fashionable. He could of asked someone better informed and actually still involved. As for setting the scene back 20 years join the list of baggy trousers, returnees, oldies and largescale commercial all-nighters. At this rate northern is now back in the1800's.

Social source share

Can't see anything wrong with that article or his choices to be honest.  Why slag Mike Post Coalition off?  You can't change history, it was one of the biggest instrumentals ever and it was perfect for the time...and is still worth playing.  Wayne Gibson was massive way before Wigan and has a good pedigree on the scene.  Seven Dwarfs is the joker in the pack but I can allow him one not-so-great.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

What was bonkers for me was I went through the website comments and records like Drip Drop by Dion were described as Northern. One bloke said Killer Joe by the Rocky Fellers was plaeyd by most Northern DJs - I'd not heard of one. Mind you did someone say Night Time by the Strangeloves was getting played nowadays? The biggest record among the casual Northern fans was Nothing But A Heartache by the Flirtations which gets paid at trendy retro dos but ain't got a Northern rhythm as far as my legs tell me. There's obviously an ocean of folk out there with a completely diffrerent take on NS

Social source share

Stop Girl is a brilliant record as is the flip -  One By One. Whether it's a soul record or not can be argued for eternity. As a (insert other genre here) record  it's superb and the label is very nice too.  Actually the first label I  ever heard applied to this type of garage sound was punk rock (years before it was used in 1976). But that aside, I wonder how many black radio stations would have played it has they been given a copy? I'd bet quite a few. 

I've always had a soft spot for Wayne Gibson UMT. It's just a nice catchy arragement of a great tune. 

Mike Post AOT Rhino - in my opinion it is a soul intrumental. For the reason that I think its got a strong gospel influnce via the strings and a certain jazz element. That combibation gives it some vailidity  in my books.

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Joe 90 springs to mind👎😱

1 hour ago, ady croasdell said:

What was bonkers for me was I went through the website comments and records like Drip Drop by Dion were described as Northern. One bloke said Killer Joe by the Rocky Fellers was plaeyd by most Northern DJs - I'd not heard of one. Mind you did someone say Night Time by the Strangeloves was getting played nowadays? The biggest record among the casual Northern fans was Nothing But A Heartache by the Flirtations which gets paid at trendy retro dos but ain't got a Northern rhythm as far as my legs tell me. There's obviously an ocean of folk out there with a completely diffrerent take on NS

Social source share

" The  Tomangoes were basically the Faux Tops " !? !     Love a lot of the  Four tops early Motown  stuff  , but give  The  Tomangoes  more respect than that. they made that record , it sunk without trace ,  but itsone of the greatest records ever made .   The fact that even  this guy  has latched onto it is testament to its brilliance . it made his top ten and  i would estimate he has probably heard around seventy or eighty northern records in his time to be considered a Guardian expert .   out of those eighty , it made number three .    Faux tops ?   Faux journo.  

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

The best comment was "at last something worth reading" , it took them 196 years but the grauniad finally got there . Respect.

Social source share

To read about "Northern Soul" (underground phenomenon as in maybe) or other complex human made "behavior" in half or less depth doesn't do much for me.

Like for all "non offensive" human (teenager or not) organized manifestation, trying to find "justification" in the "wider" world is rather meaningless I find.

Well written article... I still hope those "reporters" are getting paid to do that also. Must admit that I only read it diagonally... Got unhooked that fast. Sorry.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, tlscapital said:

To read about "Northern Soul" (underground phenomenon as in maybe) or other complex human made "behavior" in half or less depth doesn't do much for me.

Like for all "non offensive" human (teenager or not) organized manifestation, trying to find "justification" in the "wider" world is rather meaningless I find.

Well written article... I still hope those "reporters" are getting paid to do that also. Must admit that I only read it diagonally... Got unhooked that fast. Sorry.

Absosubseqentoliciously

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 25/08/2017 at 11:55, maslar said:

Stop Girl is a brilliant record as is the flip -  One By One. Whether it's a soul record or not can be argued for eternity. As a (insert other genre here) record  it's superb and the label is very nice too.  Actually the first label I  ever heard applied to this type of garage sound was punk rock (years before it was used in 1976). But that aside, I wonder how many black radio stations would have played it has they been given a copy? I'd bet quite a few. 

I've always had a soft spot for Wayne Gibson UMT. It's just a nice catchy arragement of a great tune. 

Mike Post AOT Rhino - in my opinion it is a soul intrumental. For the reason that I think its got a strong gospel influnce via the strings and a certain jazz element. That combibation gives it some vailidity  in my books.

If Stop Girl hadn't been mentioned, probably Wayne Gibson & Mike Post also, I doubt they would have featured in anyone's top ten.  I am well aware of the history (as Pete mentions) of such tracks but that was in the mid 70s.As for AOTR being soul

Social source share

12 minutes ago, chalky said:

If Stop Girl hadn't been mentioned, probably Wayne Gibson & Mike Post also, I doubt they would have featured in anyone's top ten.  I am well aware of the history (as Pete mentions) of such tracks but that was in the mid 70s.As for AOTR being soul

In my opinion it's "soul" as far an any instrumental can be  considered soul music.  The problem with tracks like AOTR is that the artist behind them in known If, to use an example, The Gallop had been written and performed by Mike Post and all other things being equal then it too would be trashed. That's how it goes, isn't it? An arrangement of a record can make it "soulful". AOTR (as I've lready stated) in my opinion has a recogniseable gospel element - the strings which perform a soaring counter melody as well as a strong jazz input. So I will gladly stand by my claim that it is indeed a "Soul" instrumental. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!