ADVICE Please. 'DJ' Set Up

Posted (edited)

Hi people,

My father is a long standing northern soul fanatic and has decided he wants to do a few sets locally

I want to surprise him with some equipment because I know he won't spend money on himself

Im guessing a standard set up would be x2 turntables & mixer & cables?

My question is what could I get for around £500 that would be suitable?

Thanks in advance for any advice

edit...

i was looking at x2 of these https://www.richersounds.com/sony-usb-turntable.html

Edited by Newbie

2 hours ago, Newbie said:

Hi people,

My father is a long standing northern soul fanatic and has decided he wants to do a few sets locally

I want to surprise him with some equipment because I know he won't spend money on himself

Im guessing a standard set up would be x2 turntables & mixer & cables?

My question is what could I get for around £500 that would be suitable?

Thanks in advance for any advice

edit...

i was looking at x2 of these https://www.richersounds.com/sony-usb-turntable.html

I think tou will be lucky to get all you need to dj with and get a good sound for £500 m8 !!!! Happy hunting :huh: atb baz

Somebody had a full set up for sale on here recently inc speakers.

i would pay the extra and go for technics 1210 turntables they might be 500 each but I've had mine since about 93 and they are still perfect and I've not had to do any repairs.

maybe buy a budget mixer and upgrade in the future ?

is this for practice at home or actually playing sets out in a boozer? If at home you can usually run it through a decent hi fi,system, with aux outputs. Otherwise you'll need an amp and speakers. Htfr or dj superstore will have budget set ups.

1 minute ago, Godzilla said:

Does he need his own set up or could he play his sets at someone else'events? I didn't think there was a village in the UK without at least three competing soul nights...

:lol:  soon be four!

Decks.co.uk are closing down, you right get a bargain there if you are quick.  Look for B-Stock, usually ex display and a lot cheaper than off the shelf stuff....that is if you are serious.  I doubt you will get a decent enough set up for 500?  Two speakers, an amp, two decks, mixer...that is just the basics.

Posted (edited)

In all honesty, if it was me I'd look at getting him a quality record box or something  similar. It'd convey the sentiment but avoid five hundred quid's worth of belt driven pain, disappointment (and guilt) down the road.

Good luck anyway mate, lovely gesture 👍

Edited by PhilT

I have a spare basic two channel Numark mixer here if you need it to get you started, it will need a 9v plug socket which you should be able to get at Maplins. :) :hatsoff2:

2 hours ago, chalky said:

Decks.co.uk are closing down, you right get a bargain there if you are quick.  Look for B-Stock, usually ex display and a lot cheaper than off the shelf stuff....that is if you are serious.  I doubt you will get a decent enough set up for 500?  Two speakers, an amp, two decks, mixer...that is just the basics.

We have them chalky :yes:they do the job. Atb baz

If he has any records that he cares about then dont go for a cheap basic turntable cos you need to be able to use your choice of cartridge/stylus, adjust the tone arm weight  etc...  if you get powered speakers then you wont need an amp - i'm no expert but for home/small venue i think should do.

On 23/08/2017 at 16:56, baz1 said:

I think tou will be lucky to get all you need to dj with and get a good sound for £500 m8 !!!! Happy hunting :huh: atb baz

Classic forum person, no useful info just get get their post count up lol! You get them everywhere :sleep3:

22 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

This setup should come within budget.....

11242009_426437074225687_1133660441_n.jpg.be353105c07b1a076a133394fb671cd5.jpg

How many of your 2033 post have been useful or helpful lol :hatsoff2:

20 hours ago, PhilT said:

I'm all honesty, if it was me I'd look at getting him a quality record box or something  similar. It'd convey the sentiment but avoid five hundred quid's worth of belt driven pain, disappointment (and guilt) down the road.

Good luck anyway mate, lovely gesture 👍

Thanks, I appreciate the honesty. I literally had no idea of costs 

2 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Classic forum person, no useful info just get get their post count up lol! You get them everywhere :sleep3:

Nothing to do with post count :lol:I was

4 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Nothing to do with post count !!! Ive just bought two stanton direct drive decks,two d.a.d active speakers and a cheap mixer !!!!all new but on the cheaper side at £2000 so £500 aint gonna get ya tables to put them on so WHAT advice did you want me to give you ????

2 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Don't know, how many of your four posts have been hopeful, Lol?

:lol::lol::lol:

Go on line and look for a Dj equipment supplier locally, see what they've got .give them a visit have a good look at what they have, they will probably have brand new and used equipment, talk to them and im sure they will be able to help and hopefully items at prices to suit your pocket. Also you need to consider where you are going to hold a soul night, the size of the venue as this is relative to the rating of the speakers and power amp and how often you would be using the equipment as this also would be a bearing on how much stick it gets and the quality required.      I Hope you get sorted  All the best        Fred Ward.

Not sure exactly what you need - if you are talking about plugging in to a club or pub's PA and they have discos on then they will 99 times out of 100 already have a mixing desk of some description in which case you just need some decks to plug in to them (as long as there are phono inputs and faders)  Any direct drive DJ decks will do the job, look for numark or Stanton if you are on a budget. I even had some of those lightweight plasticy ones by numark a couple years back and they were fine to take to clubs to DJ and were so easy to carry compared to technics.

On 24/08/2017 at 17:09, baz1 said:

Nothing to do with post count :lol:I was

Nothing to do with post count !!! Ive just bought two stanton direct drive decks,two d.a.d active speakers and a cheap mixer !!!!all new but on the cheaper side at £2000 so £500 aint gonna get ya tables to put them on so WHAT advice did you want me to give you ????

See not hard to put some constructive advice together :hatsoff2:

Seems I've hit a nerve with post count lol ...

On 24/08/2017 at 17:41, Steve S 60 said:

Don't know, how many of your four posts have been hopeful, Lol?

What a way to welcome a new person into the 'community' or is it more of a 'clique' ... :shhh:

13 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake.

Clique it is then lol, remove yourself from this thread, there's nothing for you here :thumbup:

Posted (edited)

in post #1 you never mentioned the amp and speakers or microphone

if at home , an old stereo with aux input , or a soundbar will do the job

however, if in a pub etc its likely that this budding dj will need a power amp and 2 , or 4 , or 6 speakers , depending on the size of venue , plus a microphone as well

years ago when I ran a mobile , I had a set of twin decks with built in mixer , shure microphone , power amp and 2 speakers , plus lights etc

these days, I would say people use 2 separate decks , separate mixer , and either a power amp and 4 or more speakers, or they use speakers with built in power amps

I would never go to a venue in the hope that they have their own equipment , assume they dont unless you find they definitely do and allow you to use it too

in most cases, you get a guest spot and the organisers provide all the equipment and set it up before the punters arrive

Edited by soundsOKEH

Most of the "advice" on this thread would be high comedy - if it wasn't coming from nice old blokes who mean well but don't have a clue. If you want guidance on DJ equipment you're better off asking on a DJ forum - I mean, have you heard the sound in loads of small soul venues...? 

Also, you really  need to find out if your town definitely needs another soul night....

On 29/08/2017 at 18:57, baz1 said:

Whats this all about now !!!!! :lol:can this thread be stopped now please cos MR newby is full of s... 

Judging by your avatar pic I presume you are one of them 'retired' football hooligans who never went to a match in his life. Lol jog on matey :hatsoff2:

On 29/08/2017 at 18:36, soundsOKEH said:

in post #1 you never mentioned the amp and speakers or microphone

if at home , an old stereo with aux input , or a soundbar will do the job

however, if in a pub etc its likely that this budding dj will need a power amp and 2 , or 4 , or 6 speakers , depending on the size of venue , plus a microphone as well

years ago when I ran a mobile , I had a set of twin decks with built in mixer , shure microphone , power amp and 2 speakers , plus lights etc

these days, I would say people use 2 separate decks , separate mixer , and either a power amp and 4 or more speakers, or they use speakers with built in power amps

I would never go to a venue in the hope that they have their own equipment , assume they dont unless you find they definitely do and allow you to use it too

in most cases, you get a guest spot and the organisers provide all the equipment and set it up before the punters arrive

Thank, really appreciate the info. It will be a kit for home to start off

My advice would be to avoid belt driven turntables which would rule out a lot of the cheaper ones. Maybe try getting some secondhand Gemini PT2000's off ebay or somewhere. They should be well within your price range, and it's not as if your Dad has dreams of being DMC champion.

I've just got an inexpensive Vestax mixer which has served me for 15 or twenty years. When Grandmaster Flash DJed at our night in Shrewsbury he rejected my mates £1500 Pioneer mixer in favour of my humble Vestax.... there can be literally no better endorsement than that.

Plug 'em into your stereo and you're off!

:yes:

Edited by Jimmy Disco D

Join or log in now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links