Poll: Which 'I hurt on the other side' for you?

Mike

Version poll - I hurt on the other side  

1. 1. Which 'I Hurt On The Other Side' does it for you?

• Sidney Barnes
    • Jerry Cook

This poll is closed to new votes

• Sign in or join to vote
  • Poll closed on 04/09/17 at 06:28

A weekly which version poll..

a revived topic brought this one up

all you need to do is just select the version of these two that you enjoy the most!

this one

Sidney Barnes - I Hurt On The Other Side

or Jerry Cook

Jerry Cook - I Hurt On The Other Side

just voice your choice or version via the poll buttons at the top

as  always feel free to expand, explain, educate etc etc via replies below!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Sid barnes for me,  it's all in the arrangement "more atmospheric "and in my opinion  that counts for everything ,conjures up a vision in the mind  👍🎶🎶🎶

Social source share

Jerry Cook's version has to be the funkiest record MOR producer, Al DeLory ever produced.  I wonder if DeLory was even at the session, or if he was just an "executive producer", and Arthur Wright ran the entire session.  I'm guessing so.  Probably similar to Van McCoy running everything for David Kapralik.

I prefer Sidney's, I like sweet singing in Soul & R&B songs and Jazz vocals, rough only in Blues and Gospel.

Social source share

Jerry Cook, much more raw and urgent, he makes the message much more believable.  Sidney's vocal is a lot more polished, but doesn't suit the song as much.

P.S. I've never really forgiven Sidney for releasing "Standing On Solid Ground".

Edited by Steve S 60
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve S 60 said:

Jerry Cook, much more raw and urgent, he makes the message much more believable.  Sidney's vocal is a lot more polished, but doesn't suit the song as much.

P.S. I've never really forgiven Sidney for releasing "Standing On Solid Ground".

If your ears are properly tuned it`s obvious that Jerry Cooks version is much better, real northern soul how it should be.

Ditto.......vile, horrible, Levine abortion!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

According to Sir Shambling https://www.sirshambling.com/artists_2012/C/jerry_cook/index.php Jerry Cook only had two records released under his name .

And this too: Posted November 12, 2008  Malc Burton said:

With thanks to a good friend , the mystery surrounding Jerry Cook has been solved .........

Jerry Cook - his real name - is alive and well , and lives in Salt Lake City Utah , USA .......

Jerry was given his chance at Capitol ( like so many others at the time ) , but unfortunately , when " I Hurt On The Other Side " failed to make an impact , he was not given a contract . He made another record - funk orientated - at the beginning of the 70s , which again failed to be successful . He is no longer associated with the music scene .........

Malc Burton

Just a wild notion but would anyone say Jerry Cook has some vocal similarity to Kennard Gardner?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

14 minutes ago, sunnysoul said:

According to Sir Shambling https://www.sirshambling.com/artists_2012/C/jerry_cook/index.php Jerry Cook only had two records released under his name .

Just a wild notion but would anyone say Jerry Cook has some vocal similarity to Kennard Gardner?

Love that SirShambling site owned by a gentleman. Very resourceful comprehensive informations... I didn't even know Jerry Cook had another 45 still backed-up by Mr. Arthur Wright. Even if the titles don't make the Troyxx single so appealing. Still interesting to know the team lasted a wee longer.

I hear similarities in the "phrasing" way of singing but as to the voice... the tone is not the same even if one can alter that just like that. Who is actually that chap on the Doré label under those names variation; Kennard Gardner, Kenny Garner, Kynnard, Kenard ? Could it be our Jerry Cook Northern Soul Hero under a pseudo ? :ohmy:

Social source share

52 minutes ago, tlscapital said:

Love that SirShambling site owned by a gentleman. Very resourceful comprehensive informations... I didn't even know Jerry Cook had another 45 still backed-up by Mr. Arthur Wright. Even if the titles don't make the Troyxx single so appealing. Still interesting to know the team lasted a wee longer.

I hear similarities in the "phrasing" way of singing but as to the voice... the tone is not the same even if one can alter that just like that. Who is actually that chap on the Doré label under those names variation; Kennard Gardner, Kenny Garner, Kynnard, Kenard ? Could it be our Jerry Cook Northern Soul Hero under a pseudo ? :ohmy:

I remember Richard Searling saying on his show about 20 years ago that Jerry Cook kept German Shepherd dogs for his security business.

Social source share

Jerry Cook  for me , this is however one of the very few occasions   where, when a song has been recorded  by two artists ,  i like both versions .  usually one runs a far off second , but here they are both great , Jerry Cook   has a raw  soul/blues feel, but the production on the Sidney Barnes track  makes it a winner as well.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Jerry cook for me, mainly because I remember dancing to that version before I had heard the JJ one !

Like most of my records I have, they provide fading memories 

I don't have either version anymore but looking for a cheap Jerry Cook if anyone has one for sale. ? 

Neal. 

Social source share

21 hours ago, Span said:

Jerry cook for me, mainly because I remember dancing to that version before I had heard the JJ one !

Like most of my records I have, they provide fading memories 

I don't have either version anymore but looking for a cheap Jerry Cook if anyone has one for sale. ? 

Neal. 

I have a mint reissue of Jerry Cook here Neal, yours for a tenner all in. pm me if you want it. :hatsoff2: 

Social source share

12 minutes ago, sunnysoul said:

One gets the feeling that if most of those who voted for Sidney Barnes were 18 years old again then the vote right about now would be something like Sidney Barnes 5% and Jerry Cook  95% ... 

In the same "understanding" of it; the rarity factor, which was/is inherent of the rare soul scene, comes into the ear "education"and flavor... And I understand those who might not like the Oomph ! of the Jerry Cook which would make the Sidney Barnes bare-able even if not great.

Edited by tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, tlscapital said:

In the same "understanding" of it; the rarity factor, which is inherent of the rare soul scene, comes into the ear "education"and flavor... And I understand those who might not like the Oomph ! of the Jerry Cook which would make the Sidney Barnes bare-able even if not great.

Yep, Sidney's version is very nice although to be honest the rhythm plods along to some degree and sounds as though Leiber & Stoller left the sound microphones for the instruments in the laundry while the orchestra played in the room next door ... whereas Jerry Cook is right upfront and  just hits you in the face from the very first note and demands that you move your feet as fast as they can take you.

Matter of fact, if someone asked  "name one record that epitomises the (60's) northern soul sound" , I'd have no problem at all if they put forward Jerry Cook's record. It really stands right up there as one of the greatest dancers to ever hit the scene.

Edited by sunnysoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

38 minutes ago, sunnysoul said:

One gets the feeling that if most of those who voted for Sidney Barnes were 18 years old again then the vote right about now would be something like Sidney Barnes 5% and Jerry Cook  95% ... 

One gets the feeling that the last few commenters are trying to suggest that those that voted for Sid did so because they're either old, know nothing about the rarity of records, weren't around in the old days and that you know for a fact that Jerry Cook is the better record. All of which is absolute cobblers.

In my opinion Sidney is the more soulful of the two - that's it. You can try and intelectulise it till the cows come home but you won't change my mind. :thumbup:

Pete

• Up vote 2
Social source share

35 minutes ago, bri phill said:

The people who were there at The Wheel ,The Cats and The Torch when Jerry was first played I'm pretty sure would have thought there's no competition, Sidney appeals more to the smoother end Mecca etc. and pails into significance.

I'm listening to music, not to a tune per say. I love my smoothies, lowies tempos and whisperies vocals sound as well, but only because a "smoother" version of a said tune exist, doesn't mean I'll be automatically inclined to it. In this case, I must say that I was not impressed to say the least when I first heard Sydney Barnes 'I heard on the other side'. I was even disappointed expecting too much since I knew Jerry Cook's version first and was expecting a rougher banger cut...:( to hear a faint munchy backing track and a Sydney mumbling something where I couldn't recognize the tune first to a point but only by the lyrics.

Edited by tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!