Poll: Which 'I hurt on the other side' for you?

Mike

Version poll - I hurt on the other side  

1. 1. Which 'I Hurt On The Other Side' does it for you?

• Sidney Barnes
    • Jerry Cook

This poll is closed to new votes

• Sign in or join to vote
  • Poll closed on 04/09/17 at 06:28

Guest Spain pete

Never was a dancer ,that's why SIDS to my mind is From a musical superiority streets  Ahead 🎶🎶🎶👌

53 minutes ago, sunnysoul said:

Yep, Sidney's version is very nice although to be honest the rhythm plods along to some degree and sounds as though Leiber & Stoller left the sound microphones for the instruments in the laundry while the orchestra played in the room next door ... whereas Jerry Cook is right upfront and  just hits you in the face from the very first note and demands that you move your feet as fast as they can take you.

Matter of fact, if someone asked  "name one record that epitomises the (60's) northern soul sound" , I'd have no problem at all if they put forward Jerry Cook's record. It really stands right up there as one of the greatest dancers to ever hit the scene.

Social source share

Both are great but my slight preference  is for Sidney Barnes -  I really don't get the disparaging remarks aired regarding his vocals - he sings it perfectly in my book. Pretty baffling.  As an aside I also think Standing On Solid Ground is a pretty decent record. :thumbsup: 

Social source share

On 28/08/2017 at 08:35, mike said:

A weekly which version poll..

a revived topic brought this one up

all you need to do is just select the version of these two that you enjoy the most!

this one

Sidney Barnes - I Hurt On The Other Side

or Jerry Cook

Jerry Cook - I Hurt On The Other Side

just voice your choice or version via the poll buttons at the top

as  always feel free to expand, explain, educate etc etc via replies below!

I can't believe Sidney is in the lead.  The next thing you'll find is Leicester winning the Premier league!!!  You live and learn.  For me no contest Jerry by a country mile.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 hours ago, bri phill said:

The people who were there at The Wheel ,The Cats and The Torch when Jerry was first played I'm pretty sure would have thought there's no competition, Sidney appeals more to the smoother end Mecca etc. and pails into significance.

Which prompts the thought that maybe in the earliest days of the scene, the Sidney Barnes record was in fact known and possibly played  a  few times but then discarded as not quite making the grade and then Jerry Cook was discovered and the rest as they say is history ...   

Social source share

2 hours ago, sunnysoul said:

Which prompts the thought that maybe in the earliest days of the scene, the Sidney Barnes record was in fact known and possibly played  a  few times but then discarded as not quite making the grade and then Jerry Cook was discovered and the rest as they say is history ...   

I originally found Jerry Cook along with Robert Banks  in 69 bought them  blind because of the name cook and Banks for 2/6d each. Sidney Barnes was not discovered untill late 72 I think by that time Jerry was more of a oldie and obviously DJs wanted to play more new discoveries.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, mike said:

ok its now all over 

Hopefully the poll gave some a few minutes enjoyment over the week

Thanks to all those who took part be it the voting and/or the discussing

Sidney winning by a narrow margin...

over to you Sidney...

1 hour ago, mike said:

ok its now all over 

Hopefully the poll gave some a few minutes enjoyment over the week

Thanks to all those who took part be it the voting and/or the discussing

Sidney winning by a narrow margin...

over to you Sidney...

It was a splendid jaunt Mike. Keep em coming.

Pete

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 hours ago, tlscapital said:

22 hours ago, Peter99 said:

One gets the feeling that the last few commenters are trying to suggest that those that voted for Sid did so because they're either old, know nothing about the rarity of records, weren't around in the old days and that you know for a fact that Jerry Cook is the better record. All of which is absolute cobblers.

In my opinion Sidney is the more soulful of the two - that's it. You can try and intelectulise it till the cows come home but you won't change my mind. :thumbup:

Pete

I've been into soul since 1963 was born in 1951 rarity of records doesn't come into it we are judging the best version of a tune so being an anorack doesn't matter in the judgement I was into it before the old days and Jerry Cooks version knocks the cobblers of Sid,s and I've been a DJ and a dancer so you won't change my mind Sid,s version is a mediocre NS sound Jerry,s hits you right between the eyes

no offence meant

peace on earth

ML

• Up vote 3
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Yum Yums all day. The under produced, raw, girly vocals are something quite special. If anyone disagrees I'll fight em for it! :wicked:

Pete

:thumbup:

My favourite record of all time.

Yum Yums I mean.

By the way, if anyone has the Sapphires version, flip it over, the B side is sensational, "You'll never stop me from loving you".

I didn't vote in this current poll because I don't like either version or the song itself.

Social source share

Marlena Shaw or Marvin & Tammi or Messengers

Frank Wilson or Chris Clark

Chris Clark or The Underdogs

Brenda Holloway or Mickey McCullers

The Marvelettes or Baby Washington

The Marvelettes or The Velvelettes

Emanuel Lasky or Silky Hargeaves

The Two Friends or Tammi Terrell

Brenda Holloway or Mary Wells

Betty Everett or Ramona King, or Merry Clayton

The Pirates (Temptations) or Nolan Strong & Diablos

Social source share

Jan Bradley or Major Lance

Major Lance or Otis Leavill

Major Lance or Gene Chandler

Vera Lynn or The Checkers or The Robins  :lol:

Leadbelly or The Originals

The Contours or William Weatherspoon

The Monitors or The Temptations

Gladys Knight & The Pips or Jimmy Ruffin

Darrell Banks or Jackie Wilson

Billy Butler & Enchanters or Major Lance

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

31 minutes ago, Pete S said:

My favourite record of all time.

Yum Yums I mean.

By the way, if anyone has the Sapphires version, flip it over, the B side is sensational, "You'll never stop me from loving you".

I didn't vote in this current poll because I don't like either version or the song itself.

Ay up Smiffy.

I hope all is well mate. I knew you would agree on the Yum Yums - raw, naive but absolutely beautiful record. The vocals and lyrics are sublime. One I always forget when talking about favourite records - but its definitely one of mine.

Pete

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!