Northern Soul Newbie

Guest TonyC

Relatively new to the scene and, at 36 years of age, was obviously not around for the glory days of soul but I'm truly hooked. The Northern soul scene in particular and the captivating stories behind it have created the early stages of what I know will be a lifetime obsession. 

I've collected records for about 8 years but only albums and largely only rock / pop and the very commercial blues, funk and soul. Now that my eyes have been opened however I'm now discovering so many wonderful songs I never knew existed and it's been a great journey so far.  

My only problem is that the places I used to go to buy my records don't have much in the way of soul singles and I think eBay and discogs take all the fun out of it, particularly with a fledgling collection like mine where just about every record is a want or need.

Would be grateful if any of you out there had some suggestions of places where you can still have some success. Not too concerned with absolute rarities at this point, just want to get a nice collection going. 

This was my first post so apologies if it's in the wrong section or anything. I'm sure it won't be my last!

Should also have mentioned I'm based in Liverpool Uk if that helps.

Thanks

Social source share

5 minutes ago, TonyC said:

Relatively new to the scene and, at 36 years of age, was obviously not around for the glory days of soul but I'm truly hooked. The Northern soul scene in particular and the captivating stories behind it have created the early stages of what I know will be a lifetime obsession. 

I've collected records for about 8 years but only albums and largely only rock / pop and the very commercial blues, funk and soul. Now that my eyes have been opened however I'm now discovering so many wonderful songs I never knew existed and it's been a great journey so far.  

My only problem is that the places I used to go to buy my records don't have much in the way of soul singles and I think eBay and discogs take all the fun out of it, particularly with a fledgling collection like mine where just about every record is a want or need.

Would be grateful if any of you out there had some suggestions of places where you can still have some success. Not too concerned with absolute rarities at this point, just want to get a nice collection going. 

This was my first post so apologies if it's in the wrong section or anything. I'm sure it won't be my last!

Thanks

Hi Tony

Welcome to Soul Source. You'll like it here!

Pete

:thumbup:

Social source share

Eup tony and welcome to soul source :hatsoff2:my advise would be finding a soul do that has dealers on and go and look through there boxes !!!!its good fun and you can always have a barter,most out there will come down and that way you'll feel ya got a bargain,av a look at sales on here too I've got some great stuff from these guys n gals and the knowledge is sublime !!!!!!atb baz n shelly happy hunting and by the way,we think the glory days are now :D

Edited by baz1
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

You do realise you are now joining a religious sect , seek and you shall find brother" hallelujah" welcome aboard 🎶🎶🎶

Social source share

Buying cheap 45s from states on eBay made more sense when postage was far cheaper now it's hard to justify on individual records so you need to buy a batch.

some good sales on here imo

getting to know collectors is always a must then you will get to know those with similar taste who can help with price info etc

its a bottomless pit of records

enjoy

Social source share

Thanks for the tips guys and for the warm welcome. Really excited about starting the journey and this site looks great. 

For me, hearing the Contours, just a little misunderstanding was the beginning and now there's noblooking back. That little piano intro still gets me every time.  Do any of you remember the track that truly started the obsession?

Social source share

1 hour ago, geeselad said:

A trip to king bee on manchester and to beat in rhythm are essential. Shed loads to look through. 

Yes

King Bee records ( 0161 860-4762) have lots of reasonable prices on their 45s.

Ask for Les

Social source share

don't dismiss the likes of discogs, best place to buy Lps really if that is what you are collecting.  Recommendations are fine but take time to look around. Shops for instance have overheads and can be a little more expensive.  Put up wants here, and various Facebook groups, usually someone will satisfy most wants.

Social source share

2 hours ago, TonyC said:

Thanks for the tips guys and for the warm welcome. Really excited about starting the journey and this site looks great. 

For me, hearing the Contours, just a little misunderstanding was the beginning and now there's noblooking back. That little piano intro still gets me every time.  Do any of you remember the track that truly started the obsession?

Contours too was one of the earlier tunes but gloria scott "case of too much love making" just made me say in my head !!! I've found it ere :hypo:time of our lives with friends all over the country,collecting records,gettin on trains with a group travelin to a do your gonna love it :wicked:atb and enjoy the trip baz 

Social source share

:hatsoff2:Welcome to SOUL SOURCE Soul Brother,

As many will tell you collecting Rare Soul Music, is a punishing & expensive Hobby, that quickly turns into a  way of being,, To help you it is best to listen to the advice of people, who are not trying to sell you something that you did not have a clue about, "a fool & his money are soon parted",  It is my opinion that you invest in a up to date record guide, John Manships does the best for the price, he also does a guide on how to identify pressings & bootlegs, 2nd issues & so on, then there is areas of collecting, in the main the 2 areas of interest are USA 45s original's (Demos & Promotional copies also legit issues to the Public) the USA being such a big place the style of music differs, so a45 from the East coast will vary from the west, the Sound from say North Detroit may well have a different sound from the South. so you may want to collect a complete label or just have 1 or 2 examples of different labels older people on the scene have a passion for records released in the UK in the 6ts & early 7ts.

Then there are places of where to buy from, there is nothing like buying a copy of the "next in line" Hoagy Lands on a UK $tateside issue or Demo, there is know way you are gonna find such records in a charity shop today for 25np. them days were over in 1976.  Also not many people buy LPs, I do but many don't however Jamaican music LPs go for good money,

So there are some tips for you, I would also try & buy from recommended dealers such as those who sell on Soul Source as the dodgy types would not want to risk it, always find someone who is recommended to you buy other collectors is a must, :thumbsup:DO'ES THIS HELP, any Questions the members of SOUL SOURCE will help you,:yes:KTF

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, TonyC said:

Thanks

I see someone mentioned buying Manship's guide, which is a great way to go if you're new. But don't take his prices as gospel. Record prices fluctuate in accordance with demand, or what big name DJ's are playing them. I find the 'Rare Soul Talk/Valuations' groups good places to get an idea of price and rarity. Not to mention a lot of interesting topics about the soul scene in general. 

When I first started collecting, I only cared about uptempo 60's Northern sounds, and 6 years down the line, I feel like I may have sold myself short. My taste has expanded so much in the last 4 years, now I'm collecting from 60's to stuff released today! Be that northern, funk or disco!

There's some great events in the North West, Tuff Love Soul Club in Liverpool, there's a lot of stuff happening in Manchester too (Keep an eye on Rare Soul Events on Facebook and the events page on here), getting to these more progressive and forward thinking venues will pay you dividends later. I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations for events.

As mentioned before, this can be expensive obsession, but there's are literally 1000's of fantastic overlooked 45's for less than 20 quid. Fill your box up with those records first, find your particular soul niche and satisfy it. I promise, your taste will expand with your box!

But most of all, have fun! :thumbsup:

Edited by TheBoogieBean
Social source share

16 hours ago, dthedrug said:

:hatsoff2:Welcome to SOUL SOURCE Soul Brother,

As many will tell you collecting Rare Soul Music, is a punishing & expensive Hobby, that quickly turns into a  way of being,, To help you it is best to listen to the advice of people, who are not trying to sell you something that you did not have a clue about, "a fool & his money are soon parted",  It is my opinion that you invest in a up to date record guide, John Manships does the best for the price, he also does a guide on how to identify pressings & bootlegs, 2nd issues & so on, then there is areas of collecting, in the main the 2 areas of interest are USA 45s original's (Demos & Promotional copies also legit issues to the Public) the USA being such a big place the style of music differs, so a45 from the East coast will vary from the west, the Sound from say North Detroit may well have a different sound from the South. so you may want to collect a complete label or just have 1 or 2 examples of different labels older people on the scene have a passion for records released in the UK in the 6ts & early 7ts.

Then there are places of where to buy from, there is nothing like buying a copy of the "next in line" Hoagy Lands on a UK $tateside issue or Demo, there is know way you are gonna find such records in a charity shop today for 25np. them days were over in 1976.  Also not many people buy LPs, I do but many don't however Jamaican music LPs go for good money,

So there are some tips for you, I would also try & buy from recommended dealers such as those who sell on Soul Source as the dodgy types would not want to risk it, always find someone who is recommended to you buy other collectors is a must, :thumbsup:DO'ES THIS HELP, any Questions the members of SOUL SOURCE will help you,:yes:KTF

11 hours ago, TheBoogieBean said:

I see someone mentioned buying Manship's guide, which is a great way to go if you're new. But don't take his prices as gospel. Record prices fluctuate in accordance with demand, or what big name DJ's are playing them. I find the 'Rare Soul Talk/Valuations' groups good places to get an idea of price and rarity. Not to mention a lot of interesting topics about the soul scene in general. 

When I first started collecting, I only cared about uptempo 60's Northern sounds, and 6 years down the line, I feel like I may have sold myself short. My taste has expanded so much in the last 4 years, now I'm collecting from 60's to stuff released today! Be that northern, funk or disco!

There's some great events in the North West, Tuff Love Soul Club in Liverpool, there's a lot of stuff happening in Manchester too (Keep an eye on Rare Soul Events on Facebook and the events page on here), getting to these more progressive and forward thinking venues will pay you dividends later. I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations for events.

As mentioned before, this can be expensive obsession, but there's are literally 1000's of fantastic overlooked 45's for less than 20 quid. Fill your box up with those records first, find your particular soul niche and satisfy it. I promise, your taste will expand with your box!

But most of all, have fun! :thumbsup:

Thanks for providing such detailed responses guys.  Really really helpful.  Sounds like I've got my work cut out for me if I intend to do this properly and I can't wait to get my hands dirty!  Think I'll spend a bit more time on this site and follow the other tips before loosening the purse strings too much.  Thanks again guys. 

Social source share

welcome and KTF

I was into mainly motown whilst still at secondary school although I did like sixties pop etc

I went to the local youth club one day (in Tameside) and heard FRANKIE VALLI - YOU`RE READY NOW on red coloured SMASH and thought WOW !! whats that record , and who is it ?

also the DJ there has the MITCH RYDER BREAKOUT lp with you get your kicks etc , plus singles like DONNIE ELBERT - LITTLE PICE OF LEATHER - SUE , ARTHUR CONLEY - SWEET SOUL MUSIC - ATLANTIC and BUNNY SIGLER - LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL

I soon found my way into Manchester to Ralphs , Spin Inn , Tonys ? Records on Shudehill and the one on Piccadilly Approach , buying all sorts of soul records

plus I bought Blues and Soul Magazine and NME and was soon sending off for lists from various place, I assume SOUL BOWL etc

so it then evolved into more motown like GET READY , TEARS OF A CLOWN , GOING TO A GO GO , THE WAY YOU DO THE THINGS YOU DO , AINT TO PROUD TO BEG , LITTLE DARLIN etc , plus LITTLE HANK , ROY C , ROBERT PARKER , Jackie Wilson ,  the list goes on and on

I also worked after school at the local CO-OP and they had singles in on blue Stax (Otis , Eddie Floyd , Carla Thomas etc) , Elektra , Major Minor (Los Canarios) etc which were very cheap at the time

anyway , check the sales section here as I have bought and sold on here , plus those Manchester record stores mentioned earlier with a few others too , also try soul nights , car boots , charity shops , discogs and ebay

Edited by soundsOKEH
Social source share

11 hours ago, TonyC said:

Thanks for providing such detailed responses guys.  Really really helpful.  Sounds like I've got my work cut out for me if I intend to do this properly and I can't wait to get my hands dirty!  Think I'll spend a bit more time on this site and follow the other tips before loosening the purse strings too much.  Thanks again guys. 

For the record, you can't go wrong buying anything by Gil Scott Heron :wink:

Social source share

If you are new to this you won't need any recommendations, you find dozens yourself by the  week. There are some good sellers and dealers out there. However, Most aren't cheap, they want the going rate more often than not, many are top whack cause they paid that. Do your homework and look round. Ask any question not matter how daft it might seem.  the internet is a great resource, use it to your advantage. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Probably the best advice is don't get boged down with the collecting side of it them days have gone,        unless your minted      just enjoy the music  🎶🎶🎶

Social source share

28 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

Probably the best advice is don't get boged down with the collecting side of it them days have gone,        unless your minted      just enjoy the music  🎶🎶🎶

Huge amount of records out there for those on a tight budget though but you are right enjoy the music first and foremost.

Social source share

1 hour ago, TheBoogieBean said:

I don't know anyone that doesn't :wicked:

Oh I do, I can take him or leave him for a start.  We are also talking about collecting Northern Soul of which IMO G-S-H has done very few that can be classed as such....just the one really.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, TheBoogieBean said:

I don't know anyone that doesn't :wicked:

I know plenty of people that dont like the bottle, including myself , never have , would never buy it , not for a single penny

same goes for sid the hissing serpent too

with so much quality stuff out there , some of these "poor" records dont deserve to be played any more

I do agree its all down to personal taste , but when you look at stuff like YOUR SONG - the Dells , Living -  Jay and the Americans , Jesse James etc , its no contest

Social source share

34 minutes ago, soundsOKEH said:

I know plenty of people that dont like the bottle, including myself , never have , would never buy it , not for a single penny

same goes for sid the hissing serpent too

with so much quality stuff out there , some of these "poor" records dont deserve to be played any more

I do agree its all down to personal taste , but when you look at stuff like YOUR SONG - the Dells , Living -  Jay and the Americans , Jesse James etc , its no contest

Of course, it's all down to personal taste.

Conversely, I would argue that a lot of northern records just sound dated, or at least to me. 

Just trying to portray that you shouldn't limit yourself to 60's, or northern sounds. Especially when there's so many great records out there, but like you say, horses for courses. :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, TheBoogieBean said:

Of course, it's all down to personal taste.

Conversely, I would argue that a lot of northern records just sound dated, or at least to me. 

Just trying to portray that you shouldn't limit yourself to 60's, or northern sounds. Especially when there's so many great records out there, but like you say, horses for courses. :hatsoff2:

But this isn't about our taste is it, the guy is after Northern and being pretty new to the music it won't sound dated. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Gill Scott heron  so so soulful IMO take a listen to his albums,     begs that old question.  What the feck is n/s ? 🎭🎶🎶

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

Gill Scott heron  so so soulful IMO take a listen to his albums,     begs that old question.  What the feck is n/s ? 🎭🎶🎶

Anything played at a Northern Soul night of which not many G-S-H songs will be featured.  I don't disagree that he is so so soulful.

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

don't go to many functions nowadays  but to be honest if it was a northern soul only night l properly wouldn't be interested  in going, because things have changed with the forward thinking jocks  thank god , IMO🎶🎶🎶

Social source share

Just listen to as much as you can via internet mixes, radio shows etc and if an artist or label gets your attention see what else is on that label.

or build knowledge going round the different states.  

lots of detailed blogs and web pages now.

some of the high quality output labels (tuska, peachtree etc) now have compilations with very good sleeve notes.  Buy these.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hi Tony. Welcome to the soul scene. There's a place on Bold Street, half way up the hill heading towards the church, an antique/retro store, can't remember the name, but downstairs in the basement there's a decent selection of US imports for someone like yourself. I was there six months ago and saw the Artistics 'Hope We Have' and Candy And The Kisses 'Out On The Streets Again' plus plenty of other tracks at fair prices. Check out You Tube for the rarest and bestest but also sample the Goldmine range of CD's for what's out there. Take in a few soul nights such as the one at Runcorn and rummage through the record boxes at any venue you attend and pick up on any recommendations. Most of all, enjoy the ride by gathering the sounds you really, really like a lot.

Social source share

Hi Tony,

I'm on the Wirral. Historically, Liverpool has never been a place for northern soul. I cut my teeth in The Mardi Gras on Mount Pleasant (now demolished), The Victoriana, Victoria Street and The Top Rank, where you could see artists like Edwin Starr, Arthur Conley , Jimmy Ruffin etc. Sometimes twice in the same night

A group of us went to Wigan. The Ritz in Manchester and Blackpool Mecca, but there was nothing local.

If you want to buy some cheapies then Pete Smith Northern Soul Sales on here and onFacebook is one of the best and you won't pay over the odds with him.

The Tuff Love Soul Club in Liverpool and The Sink Club are both on here and facebook too and worth joining. They are both on Hardman Street and between them, play R&B, 60's and 70's quality music, rare or not.

Good hunting

Kev

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!