Top Ten Northern Soul Towns

Guest Mart B

Ok ...So we have a list of soulful towns and cities across the UK.

Why not get a map of the UK pinpoint all of them on the map and then see where most clubs are concentrated into one area to gain a better picture of the most soulful county or city?

Mand :thumbsup: ( geopgraphy teacher ) :thumbsup:

geopgraphy sp. See Me.

Mandy, I think you would find generally that soul is concentrated mainly in the most populated areas of Britain, what was once reffered to as the "Industrial Coffin" (1933-37) and more latterly "Megalopolis" (1974) This runs N.W-S.E from Lancashire and West Yorks through the midlands, down to London.

Mark, Geography O level, grade C but keen student...... :) .

Social source share

Yep I did Warren.

I think Simsy has missed out the Roundabout and the Cattle Market (Cant remember the venue name) in his list of clubs in the 80s.

Although I have never been there, as long as I have been going to Soul do's I seem to be meeting people from Kettering.

One guy (On the Leicester video), always used to introduce himself and his sister, and made sure he got 'Kettering Northants' into the introduction.

Mikey,Wheelwrights,all gone now another out of town shopping centre.

Can you remeber the allniter at glos guild hall?

simon f

Social source share

When the events map used to be on here it looked like a big Y so to speak, trailing from manchester down the M6 where it turns to the M1 and same for yorkshire down all down the M1 to london, but you've also got a big folowing from N.E, scotland, thurther down south ect.

Social source share

Ok ...So we have a list of soulful towns and cities across the UK.

Why not get a map of the UK pinpoint all of them on the map and then see where most clubs are concentrated into one area to gain a better picture of the most soulful county or city?

Mand :D ( geopgraphy teacher ) :lol:

Mandy you know where the most soulful town in the country will be on Sat night, no need to stiick pins in maps :unsure:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Mikey,Wheelwrights,all gone now another out of town shopping centre.

Can you remeber the allniter at glos guild hall?

simon f

Hi Simon. You know I had forgotten about it. Totally, but now you mention it.

As far as I can remember it was a one off. Wasnt it in a room with an extremely high stage and curtains about a quarter of a mile long?

Social source share

Ok Ken

This should cover your town

His top ten cities or areas are

stoke on trent

greater manchester

wolverampton

london

nottingham

northants

south/west yorks

bedfordshire

county durham

cambridgeshire.

ok

you should leave out northants and cambs completely now there are no records , dj,s or events worth mentioning except for tony parker and cliff steele and little baz bless him . absolutly no one in these two counties go any forther than the town they live in

Social source share

Your talking out your ar*e mate. Anyway, for a start, KR's criteria is based on past "glories" as much as anything. I'm sure that "Soulful Bob's tastes and distance people travel to events" will be part of Kev Robert's criteria for deciding the 10 ten soul area's next time he re-publishes his 500, now that he know you exist. I see loads of Northants soulies out and about across the country and if you don't maybe you ought to get out more. Not getting into an arguement.

Social source share

All niters in Morecambe 1981 to 1989 at various evenues but best remembered on the central pier

thought we would be up there somewhere

i mean we all know its the centre of the soul universe!!!

:thumbsup:unsure.gif

seaside soul club 2003 to date..... :thumbsup:

WHAT ABOUT CREWE

UP THE JUNCTION

still to be seen in south street today

THE DIRTY DUCK-----speakeasy

owned by Chris Burton for the international soul club

Now Steam all-nighter

you couldnt of got to Wigan

without changing at Crewe Station in the old days

SQUARE ONE----------MILL STREET,CREWE

quality new venue,first friday in the month

from january next year---OPENING NIGHT WAS A REAL BLAST,

So were still hot in Crewe

years ago

nantwich cricket club--------soul sam used to do on sunday night

alverston hall---nr nantwich

CURRENT

nantwich civic-------

north ward club---crewe

radway club---alsager

alsager civic

sandbach town hall

middlewich legion

winsford civic all nighters

Social source share

Hi Simon. You know I had forgotten about it. Totally, but now you mention it.

As far as I can remember it was a one off. Wasnt it in a room with an extremely high stage and curtains about a quarter of a mile long?

[/quoteMIKEY it was a one off remeber it as a good nite your right about the stage memorys clouded sure there was an allniter at the glos leisure centre in the early 80's once.

Social source share

I was flicking through krs top 500 book and came across the top 10 towns that influenced northern soul through the decades.

THE NUMBER ONE CITY FOR A NORTHERN SOUL GIG IS NOTTINGHAM PAST & PRESENT DAY KTF RICTIC :thumbsup:

1 Bolton

2 Dudley

3 Pontefract

4 MANSFIELD

5 Burnley

6 Bury/Radcliffe

7 Newton Aycliffe

8 Wigan

9 Preston

10 Kettering.

Krs order not mine.

Personally i think krs got it about right, but his book was written 1999/2000 and places and the scene as changed.Does anyone out there agree with krs choice or are there towns that you live in warrant being on that list?.Opinions please no politics!.

Social source share

• 11 years later...

Kettering/Corby would be more correct neighbouring towns but connected by northern soul 1967 onwards,, by the way I joined this great journey 1972 wow,,cats torch Samantha's Wigan st Ives central hall dayers shades Corby bowl north park the journey goes on ,,,,, stay young and enjoy folks ,god bless Stephen 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2006 at 22:34, Guest said:

Every Venue - Everywhere Has a part To Play In This The " Most important " Of All The MUSIC Scenes .

Anywhere in the UK that has had a venue - be it big , small , regular , one -off , short lived or long running - warrants an inclusion .

Malc Burton

Social source share

• 1 month later...
On 17/11/2006 at 09:55, JulianB said:

I seem to recall that we had a thriving soul scene in;-

Huddersfield

Wakefield

Leeds

Bradford

Halifax

Normanton

Selby

etc

I know, 'cause I DJed at most of them!

all going whilst the Twisted Wheel was still open.

Julian

I would be inclined to agree with you Julian on these towns as a massive contingent of "Soulies" hailed out of West and north Yorkshire.                                      All the best Fred.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Surely Crewe deserves a mention? Lot of soulies came from Crewe, big stop off point for travellers after the big events in Wigan, Manchester, Stoke and all over, many a bedsit full of soulies after the big allniters. The folks from Crewe really travelled around to events, many were known all over the scene throughout the 60s, 70s, 80s and onwards.

Also had Up The Junction, a venue associated with the very early days of the scenes rise to popularity. 

UTJ000.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!