Detroit - The Movie

Saw the movie today. Enjoyed it, but didn't realize that the movie was centered almost entirely around the Algiers Hotel murders. I assumed the movie would be the history of the 67 riots, with the Algiers a "back story".

For a history , the book Detroit 67 will give you the details.

As for music, some references that Northern and Motown fans will pick up on. Some so/so references...the movie portrays the Dramatics as an up and coming group, almost amateur, but of course that had several 45s already issued by the riots. Not sure if they auditioned for Motown in 67, if at all? That scene is actually filmed in studio A at Hitsville .

The pedant in me spotted Brenda Holloway's " Till Johnny comes", which was never released in the 60s.

Worth seeing, but I was hoping for more historical coverage and actually film footage of the riots and scenes of Detroit. 

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Wile I go along with the noble intent of the film, i didn't find it all a pleasant film to watch.  Sadistic violence was stretched over a long part of the film. There were only 8 people at the viewing I sat thru, one person walked out halfway thru and the lady I was with wanted to do the same and only stayed the course out of respect for me. It really was seriously overdone and took away time that could have been used to explore many of the other troubling strands of this awful tale notably the police investigation and the court case for which the film short changes us imo..

the Adaptation of the Dramatics story in order to create a sense of reaction to Motown being considered to have sold out to the establishment also casts a doubt on the credibility on the film. I've heard the sentiment expressed before but it doesn't fit the facts in this particular case. If this bit was adapted, how much of the rest was based on truth?

Much as I would like to recommend the film as a lover of the city, its music and the civil rights movement, I really can't bring myself to do so.

Social source share

I was under the impression that the extended abuse scenes were to give the viewer an idea of the regular brutality many people suffer at the hands of others. In that it hit its target perfectly. 

Its not a sunshine subject and was never going to be easy to watch. The empathy the actors glean is a testament to their talent. 

Great film I thought. Even if not what I was expecting. 

If it makes white people uncomfortable, that's because it should. 

Edited by mattbolton
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Hi Snakepit!

The group took part in a big radio station talent show they had every year at the Fox Theater in Detroit with the winner getting a contract with Motown Records.  Ron Banks: "We went to Motown and auditioned for them.  The guy told us we were pretty good, but they already had enough five-men vocal groups ovar there.  And we were too young.  'Just keep at it, and maybe one day we'll get you.'  Maybe that made us a little more hungry and determined to be a successful act."  (Soul Express: The Dramatics Story, part 1).

That was prior to Bingo on Wingate in 1966.  Unfortunately, I don't know who that "guy" was.

Best regards

Heikki

Social source share

Hi Hekki

Thanks for that. So they did audition but probably prior to 1967, but for artistic purposes they built that into the movie.

I did wonder if Motown would want another male group , with Temptations, Four Tops, Spinners, Contours, Originals on the roster.

I've included two Dramatics tracks on my latest show...Bingo and All because of you.

Thanks once again

Social source share

Guest son of stan

I thought it was a really decent film. I don't think they got the edit quite right though- I found it a bit stretched out and then they seemed to cram a lot into the end before it petered out...Nevertheless, I would recommend.

(Possibly my judgement was skewed by others in the audience talking throughout the film. Seems to be the norm these days, sadly..!)

To add, I thought the soundtrack was brilliant. Was kind of expecting the usual Tamla so pleasantly surprised to hear loads of other stuff mixed in (local hits of the time, presumably). Much of it edited too quickly to register but did anyone else notice Edward Hamilton 'Baby Don't You Weep' playing very faintly in the background at one point? :-)

Social source share

More info on the actual incident at the hotel (which isn't covered fully accurately in the film) was detailed in the 1968 published book The Algiers Hotel Incident (JOHN HERSEY). He interviewed folk actually involved that night (including Dramatics members), and took details from TV and newspaper coverage, etc.

He states that the Dramatics had finished their spot on the show @ the Fox Theatre before heading out to the motel. They had performed the following on the show ...  GROOVIN, I WANT A LOVE I CAN SEE, INKY DINKY WANG DANG DO, BINGO, SOMEWHERE & ALL BECAUSE OF YOU (Sport 45 cut).

Algiers Motel.jpg

DramaticsFoxTh.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

I saw the film a few days ago. While I had no intention of sitting through it and trying to catch anyone out on inaccuracies there were a handful of things that did jar a little: 1 ) The Dramatics would not have come on AFTER Martha & The Vandellas at the concert 2) Larry Reed was seen singing the opening words of "Whatcha See is Whatcha Get" to a girl when the song, Tony Hester's, came out four years later 3) A scene with the group singing that song depicted them as a quartet - which, while obviously included to show what Reed had missed out on - was simply not right.

Still, none of that is vastly important and I would echo my admiration for a film - it's a momentous topic that no other film maker has touched - that is indeed hard to watch because of the violence;  you definitely don't exit the cinema feeling uplifted. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!