Stax at the Proms

Guest MBarrett

Guest MBarrett

Part of the 50th anniversary celebrations - to commemorate the first Stax tour of the UK in 1967.

May not be everyone's cup of tea but I am confident that TJ, Jools Holland, Beverley Knight et al will all be very respectful of the Stax legacy.

Looks like at least 5 original Stax artists there anyway to keep them in check. :)

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jul/03/tom-jones-set-for-proms-debut-singing-soul-to-celebrate-stax-records

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Have to say a wonderful night at the RAH , but all to short apperarnces from some of the masters of the Stax label. Sat next to Trevor Nelson so some good banter .

Very fit looking Eddie Floyd , William Bell looking very dapper ... and Tom Jones still belts out a tune.Booker T on keyboards and the ledgend that is Steve Cropper on guitar .

Have to agree , James Morrison stole the show for me too ... 

Great night but needed an interval and another 2 hrs of music ( just being greedy ) 

👍

IMG_3592.JPG

IMG_3610.JPG

IMG_3614.JPG

Edited by stevegods
Social source share

Guest MBarrett
1 hour ago, chalky said:

I've yet to watch but most of the comments I have read aren't very complimentary, in particular Tom Jones.

Sometimes I'm glad I live n my "glass half full" world. I thought Tom was great. :)

Social source share

On 29/08/2017 at 22:45, MBarrett said:

Part of the 50th anniversary celebrations - to commemorate the first Stax tour of the UK in 1967.

May not be everyone's cup of tea but I am confident that TJ, Jools Holland, Beverley Knight et al will all be very respectful of the Stax legacy.

Looks like at least 5 original Stax artists there anyway to keep them in check. :)

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jul/03/tom-jones-set-for-proms-debut-singing-soul-to-celebrate-stax-records

when was this on , :thumbsup:

Social source share

19 hours ago, chalky said:

I've yet to watch but most of the comments I have read aren't very complimentary, in particular Tom Jones.

I saw those and found them odd.

From where I was sitting - up near the organ - he sounded great.

However for me seeing Steve and Booker on stage together and properly interacting made my day. 

That's the best live Green Onions I've seen with the two of them on stage, in the 20 years or so in which I've seen them on stage.

Social source share

22 hours ago, tobytyke said:

William Bell was the main man for me!

Saw him in Helsinki 2 weeks ago and he put people half his age to shame. On stage for I hour 40 before being bundled off by the organisers, despite being willing to continue. His voice was a strong as it ever was. The set was heavy with the new album material, but there was also "I forgot to be your lover", "Private number", etc. Would have liked to hear "All I need is your love" but you can't have everything, especially when the organisers put him on too late to ensure a 2 hour gig :g:

Social source share

Thought it was a great show and particularly on a Saturday night when it's usually crap.

Beverley Knight was superb, Booker T Green Onions was brilliant, but I must say I thought Eddie Floyd sounded pretty ropey. Still good to see the original artists in the flesh performing some classics. Not sure TJ brought much to the party. He's a great voice if you like that kind of thing but maybe not a Stax singer. Still could have been worse, that bell end Bono could have muscled in on the action!

Social source share

I really enjoyed Tom Jones version of Hard to Handle, one of the highlights of the night for me.  He has retained his voice, where some of the original Stax artists voiced had aged and where not quite as good as before.  Suprised at what a good job Morrison did of Mr Pitiful thought he was very brave taking on Otis's Version.  Lot's of people out of there seats in my wing

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!