• Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, samplat said:

Patti Young far better record

They are both great records!  It's not a competition to find the best!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

On 8/31/2017 at 11:18, Godzilla said:

120796282403.jpg.ec4cbbdbfe0f7c050187a9bf5940a429.jpg

I didn't know about this one.  Al Capps was a producer and songwriter under Hal Davis at Jobete Music, L.A. (L.A.'s Motown office from 1963-1966. As I remember, Davis, and Marc Gordon had an associate in L.A., who was a dentist and financier of Davis' Finesse Music Productions (his non-Motown work).  He had a company and address in Rydal, Pennsylvania (Philadelphia suburb).  The label was called "Doc" because he was a dentist.  All the Doc label's operations took place in L.A.  You can tell by the labels that they were pressed in L.A., and all I've had in my hands were pressed at Monarch in 1964 and 1965.  "The Brush" by The Shiny Brothers must be an instrumental.  Is the A side a vocal?  The Shiny Brothers had a release called "Smilesville USA".  Here's a link to hear the Jan & Dean style advertisement for The American Dental Association on You Tube:

It sounds like pure 1964 (Jan & Dean clone).  So, as Doc records operated in 1964, I assume that "Smilesville USA" is the A side of Doc 101. 

Capps wrote and produced "The Brush".  But, the publisher was H.R.B.  So, this was another Motown rejection, or, more likely, was never offered to them, as it was recorded by the dentist for The American Dental Association, or just a hobby for the rich dentist, who wanted to own a record label.

Apparently, the L.A. Dentist knew Helen R Blumburg, who raised funds to help needy children in Pennsylvania have good dental care.  And he had his recording company record these 2 songs for her campaign.  The Smiley Brothers, who first recorded "The Brush", were a Black Soul group, produced in Philadelphia by prolificx Pop producer, Bob Finiz (Jamie-Guyden. Cameo-Parkway, etc.) whose lead singer's voice is VERY familiar to me (famous Philly group?).  I assume that the recording of "The Brush" on Doc is by the L.A. surf group (The Shiny Brothers), and was recorded AFTER The Smiley Brothers.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

10 hours ago, bo diddley said:

Hi Mick,

Is it this one? Seems to be a toothpaste ad so I'm note sure!

Yes, that's the one.  As to the timing, it's hard to tell.  In the late 60s, I heard that Doc Records was owned by a doctor or dentist who lived in L.A. but used a Philadelphia Area address for the label.  Now we know why.  Helen R. Blumberg ran her non-profit Corporation there, which was dedicated to providing dental care to disadvantaged children.  Maybe she provided some funding for the L.A. dentist's record company, based on his promise to produce some records promoting dental care.  The dentist hired L.A. producer/songwriter, Al Capps, who produced both Pop and Soul music, as his producer/A&R man.  Capps was currently working for Jobete Music's L.A. office in 1964, when Doc started,, - thus, the connection to Doc's getting to lease the Paris and Sandy Wynns records from Hal Davis and Marc Gordon.  The latter pair's Finesse Productions had the rights to release those cuts on any personal label or lease them to someone else, because Motown didn't schedule them for release within 6 months of Jobete's buying their rights and publishing the songs.  The fact that the dentist's hiree, Al Capps wrote "The Brush", leads me to believe that The surf group, The Shiny Brothers' version was first, in mid 1964, and The Smiley Brothers' version, produced by Bob Finiz, Helen Blumberg's hiree, in Philadelphia, came later, in late 1964, or early 1965.  It does sound a little like early '65.  I KNOW that Smiley Brothers' lead singer's voice so well.  I'd bet they were a well-known Philadelphia group (not The Dreamlovers, but one of that level of stardom).  I'd love to hear the Shiny Brothers' "Surf version", in The Jan & Dean style.  They sound verylike one of the main L.A. Surf groups (maybe The Fantastic Baggys or The Ripchords (Bruce(Johnston & Terry (Melcher)).  They weren't good enough to be Jan & Dean or The Beach Boys.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

11 hours ago, geeselad said:

looks like label just had the three aforesaid tracks.

Do you mean the three aforesaid records released (The Shiny Brothers, Paris and Sandy Wynns)?  Come to think of it, I seem to remember also an instrumental (both sides) release, also produced by Al Capps, by an instrumental group (somebody and The........).  It wasn't published by Jobete Music, nor HRB, but another L.A. Soul music publisher (perhaps Capps' own publishing co.?).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!