Anyone Familiar With These Records?

Pete S

1 - ST. GEORGE & TANA - WITHOUT MY HEART - KAPP

Found mention of this with a pic sleeve in the price guide at £100 but don't have a sleeve with this one. It's produced by Huey meaux and I really like it which means you lot will hate it and say it's rubbish laugh.gif

2 - SONNY FOREST - TRAVELLIN' - VERVE

A fast r & b ish type sound with girl backups, vocalist is not great though, just wondered if it were known really

3 - THE UNIVERSALS - LOVE BOUND - FESTIVAL

Kind of doo-wop soul very much influenced by The Drifters, I'd say this was from about 1960

4 - GERALDINE CURRY & THE HEARTSTOPPERS - YOU'RE SO WONDERFUL - LONDON HOUSE

I had this in my junk pile but it was on Soul Bowl's list for 200 this week, also on John Manships site for the same price, this copy is VG+ looking, plays way better, probably take 60 quid for it if anybody wants it

5 - G.L. CROCKETT - LOOK OUT MABEL - CHECKER DEMO

This is more or less out and out rock & roll but it's fantastic - was just wondering about a price as John has a repro for £15 so wondered what an original DJ copy would be worth. Fantastic record...

Edited by mike
Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

LOOK OUT MABEL - g.l. crockett - checker

11667 refosoul

A desert island disc as far as I'm concerned! The Checker version is an alternate take of a cut that was originally released as by G. Davy Crockett on Chief 7010 in 1958. (The Checker version was also released at around the same time, 1965, on USA 816.

Despite the fact that it's wilder than the Chief cut, it;s the latter that's rare and that goes for around £150 or more in top nick. I bought my Checker demo off Paul Sandford about 3 years ago for £25.00. It's worth more than that on U.S.A, but not much more than that...

...a rare example of what some of us secret boppers refer to as "Blackabilly" - another being Tarheel Slim's immortal double sider on Fury, "Wildcat Tamer"/"Number Nine Train"...

...Sod all these bootlegs, we're talking real music here for a change!!!!!

TONE :shhh:

Social source share

A desert island disc as far as I'm concerned! The Checker version is an alternate take of a cut that was originally released as by G. Davy Crockett on Chief 7010 in 1958. (The Checker version was also released at around the same time, 1965, on USA 816.

Despite the fact that it's wilder than the Chief cut, it;s the latter that's rare and that goes for around £150 or more in top nick. I bought my Checker demo off Paul Sandford about 3 years ago for £25.00. It's worth more than that on U.S.A, but not much more than that...

...a rare example of what some of us secret boppers refer to as "Blackabilly" - another being Tarheel Slim's immortal double sider on Fury, "Wildcat Tamer"/"Number Nine Train"...

...Sod all these bootlegs, we're talking real music here for a change!!!!!

Tone the best record I ever posted up on here was J.B. & The Hawks "Combination Boogie" on Chance which I'm sure you know is as wild a piece of Chicago electric blues as you'll ever hear and the reaction was mainly positive though Mr Rimmer thought it was awful I remember...I still think it's one of the greatest things I've ever heard and I would love to post it up again except I loaned it out :)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tone the best record I ever posted up on here was J.B. & The Hawks "Combination Boogie" on Chance which I'm sure you know is as wild a piece of Chicago electric blues as you'll ever hear and the reaction was mainly positive though Mr Rimmer thought it was awful I remember...I still think it's one of the greatest things I've ever heard and I would love to post it up again except I loaned it out :)

Always a top tune in my book - I have it on a 78, paid fifty quid for it nearly 30 years ago!

Social source share

Always a top tune in my book - I have it on a 78, paid fifty quid for it nearly 30 years ago!

I thought I'd hit the jackpot with the 45 but it turned out to be a counterfeit, still, never mind...I love the fact you can hear them bashing away on a washboard and you can hear someones feet clearly stamping to make percussion noises, damn if only I'd taped it

Social source share

Nobody know the St george & tana thing thing then??? Doesn't half grow on you.

Been a big fav ov mine for a few years Pete...... think it came in one of Adey Pierces soul packs form late 80's As ya say it really does grow on you! an me being a sad beat ballad git... I kinda like the flip "So Tenderly" unsure.gif

steve

Social source share

Shame about the horrible vocal...sounds like a triple tracked Pickettywitch soundalike sung through a sock.

I must dig out that great unreleased Peters and Lee track while I think about it.

whistling.gif

Social source share

Wow it's still up here after all this time, fcking fantastic - but I don't know how to link to it, it's in my attachments folder

pete and all

think most attachements posted since day 1 are still up

(not 100% sure but after last full restore of site took 55 days biggrin.gif do know (and dreading) that one day will have to sort em

Social source share

Shame about the horrible vocal...sounds like a triple tracked Pickettywitch soundalike sung through a sock.

I must dig out that great unreleased Peters and Lee track while I think about it.

whistling.gif

It's not even double tracked...I really like this, in fact I think this is one of those extremely rare occasions where I like a record too much to sell it.

pete and all

think most attachements posted since day 1 are still up

(not 100% sure but after last full restore of site took 55 days :D do know (and dreading) that one day will have to sort em

Mike, I edit my own attachments so they don't stay up there forever wasting space, but the JB Hutto record had been left intact, obviously by me thinking I may need it again at some point...

Social source share

Guest FYLDECOAST

I quite like it , got it on a ANS xmas club cd compiled by Gazza from Oldham 3 years ago

Steve mc

Social source share

Got a few of these in my Pheonix load some years back, both white and if I remember St George looked like Jason King, played it a few times at the Carlton (Normanton) but critique corner gave it the thumbs down thmbdn.gif cant believe its listed at a ton laugh.gif:D

Thanks for reminding me

BH

Edited by BLAKE H
Social source share

Got a few of these in my Pheonix load some years back, both white and if I remember St George looked like Jason King, played it a few times at the Carlton (Normanton) but critique corner gave it the thumbs down thmbdn.gif cant believe its listed at a ton laugh.gif:D

Thanks for reminding me

BH

St. George has a certain 'je ne sais quoi' about him :hypo:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!