Peter99

Regional Food

Evening All

We've not had a foody thread for ages. So, we may have done this before but, lets have another go at posting stuff. I'll kick it off with Haslet from Lincolnshire. Used to have this in sandwiches and maybe with a salad sometimes. I've not had it for ages - its quite nice. Anyone else tried it?

Messed up - image on next post.

Pete

Sliced-Haslet.jpg

Sliced-Haslet.jpg

Edited by Peter99

7 minutes ago, Missing Link said:

Oh yes! With bacon and cheese - a Potteries delicacy.

Perhaps topped off with a couple of hot buttered Pikelets for dessert.:thumbup:

In fact oatcakes with butter & golden syrup makes a nice dessert.

Them oatcakes from Stoke are truly moorish with bacon and cheese, in Wigan where I live they have butter pies which are disgusting, basically A potato  and melted butter pie, pure stodgy and great for your arteries 

When I served on a Plymouth based ship, it was a mid morning ritual to buy a pasty from the NAAFI.  Ron Dewdney used to supply pasties to the dockyard from his Devonport shop, whereas his brother Ivor sold his wares in the city.....

Ron-Dewdney-whopper-comparison.gif.52fe03b9b3e3205737b4a1d8b016da7f.gif

Edited by Steve S 60

10 minutes ago, Venus said:

@Kev John nothing wrong with that...I normally add a chopped banana or add a handful of mixed berries...have you tried that? 

Hi Venus

Used to put chopped banana's in to build me up after my cancer treatment but dropped  them off  after building weight up again don't do berries the get stuck when i swallow 

Edited by Kev John

ok being from the Boro (Middlesbrough) Parmo is the dish most known best...flattened chicken coated in bread crumbs, then deep fried, then covered in white sauce (béchamel/Parmesan) topped with grated cheese, this is then placed under a grill....Heart attack waiting to happen? YEP and not something I eat very often so image from the net...

JS71005373.jpg

24 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Hiya. The dark green stuff is the laver bread - it's boiled seaweed. The other bread is, well, just bread. 

:thumbsup:

o-m-g :lol: I automatically thought the bread was the Laver bread? dohhhh...well at least I've learnt something new :)

1 hour ago, Venus said:

o-m-g :lol: I automatically thought the bread was the Laver bread? dohhhh...well at least I've learnt something new :)

Most people think that! You can buy it in tins on line. Mike eats it - it helps give him the strength to keep SS going. 

:lol:

2 hours ago, crazylegs said:

OMG!!! LOBBY...

This is so cruel, next thing you know someone will mention wrights pies and tiko pasties...............

x

Not having a bowl of Lobby to hand, the picture I used was taken from the internet.  Personally I've never had Lobby with chips, just crusty bread.

There must be a thousand different recipes for Lobby, everybody seems to have their own.  Some people don't like chonnocks in there, whilst international jet setters like to add pearl barley or celery to the mix.

Kev John mentioned Wrights pies early in the topic and I guess most people in the Pots will at some point have feasted on a Wrights meat n tayter.  As for Tiko pasties, sadly no longer with us.:(

According to the locals, the Tiko pasty holds the record for being the first triangular food ever invented by man, however they were originally designed to be taken down the pit to be used by the colliers to measure angles.  It was much later when they were discovered to be edible.  When 3 Cooks took over Tiko, and altered the pasty recipe, they reverted back to only being suitable for their original purpose and sales dropped off as the pits closed.

Also, they were the worlds first "stealth" food.  Alledgedly one was taken back to the US by a USAF pilot and passed to engineers at Lockheed Martin, who then copied and refined the design for their F-117 Nighthawk stealth fighter plane.

Everyone in the Potteries knows the above facts to be true, in fact Potteries pop star Robbie Williams was inspired to write a song, "Angles" (promo copies only, stock copies had the misspelled title "Angels").

54 minutes ago, tiberius said:

Not having a bowl of Lobby to hand, the picture I used was taken from the internet.  Personally I've never had Lobby with chips, just crusty bread.

There must be a thousand different recipes for Lobby, everybody seems to have their own.  Some people don't like chonnocks in there, whilst international jet setters like to add pearl barley or celery to the mix.

Kev John mentioned Wrights pies early in the topic and I guess most people in the Pots will at some point have feasted on a Wrights meat n tayter.  As for Tiko pasties, sadly no longer with us.:(

According to the locals, the Tiko pasty holds the record for being the first triangular food ever invented by man, however they were originally designed to be taken down the pit to be used by the colliers to measure angles.  It was much later when they were discovered to be edible.  When 3 Cooks took over Tiko, and altered the pasty recipe, they reverted back to only being suitable for their original purpose and sales dropped off as the pits closed.

Also, they were the worlds first "stealth" food.  Alledgedly one was taken back to the US by a USAF pilot and passed to engineers at Lockheed Martin, who then copied and refined the design for their F-117 Nighthawk stealth fighter plane.

Everyone in the Potteries knows the above facts to be true, in fact Potteries pop star Robbie Williams was inspired to write a song, "Angles" (promo copies only, stock copies had the misspelled title "Angels").

That's brilliant mate. I've never heard of Lobby brfore. 

Pete

:thumbup:

I used to have a Saturday job in Graduate records (also known as Sundown, then Lotus records) in Piccadilly arcade in Hanley, and every Saturday the soulies would come and buy their "imports" from there,  then get a tiko pastie (from next door) and sit all along the arcade floor while Phil the record shop manager, and local celebrity, would play the latest tunes that were being played by the likes of a couple of young Djs Colin Curtis and Keith Minshull, regular customers at the time.........

p,s  You have to be of a certain age to remember the above!

p,p,s Everything Tiberius says above is absolutely true. (Chips and Lobby....NEVER!)

Lots of p's and essess's.  There is a  small supermarket in our next village, with a large bona fida Wrights Pies sticker in the window, I went in to buy one (couldn't believe my luck) and it was a home made pie so far removed from a Wrights Pie, they should be arrested for Identity Fraud.

Do you think at some point we could have an in depth discussion about the filling for Toasties please.........the cause of many a heated debate in this household!

x

39 minutes ago, crazylegs said:

Do you think at some point we could have an in depth discussion about the filling for Toasties please.........the cause of many a heated debate in this household!

x

:yes::thumbup::yes:

2 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Looks like tattie ash to me.

Ash, in my locality, is different to Lobby, but in both cases they would've originally been made with left overs.  Ashed meat, as I know it, is made from leftover leg of lamb and is eaten with mash in these parts.

In Liverpool they would call Lobby Scouse.

43 minutes ago, tiberius said:

Ash, in my locality, is different to Lobby, but in both cases they would've originally been made with left overs.  Ashed meat, as I know it, is made from leftover leg of lamb and is eaten with mash in these parts.

In Liverpool they would call Lobby Scouse.

They called it Pot Mess in the navy.  All variations on a theme, leftovers thrown into a pan with spuds and veg so as not to waste anything.

9 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Just had a nice bacon cob. Nothing regional about that you might say - until you consider which part of the country you're in!

Bacon Roll

Bacon Barm Cake

Bacon Sarnie...................................

😋

Bacon butty.

How about a nice egg banjo?

When I was little we would call a sandwich a 'peacy' I don't know if that's a Stoke thing or just my family. I think it stems from a 'piece' of bread, so a sandwich would have two pieces hence a peacy........a bacon peacy

...............Ill get me coat 

x

3 minutes ago, crazylegs said:

When I was little we would call a sandwich a 'peacy' I don't know if that's a Stoke thing or just my family. I think it stems from a 'piece' of bread, so a sandwich would have two pieces hence a peacy........a bacon peacy

x

A sandwich is called a piece North of the border.

4 minutes ago, crazylegs said:

x

I like that. A peacy! Never heard that before.

:thumbup:

5 minutes ago, Kev John said:

Another food i used to love was a cheesy crumpet !!

crumpet%20with%20butter_4.jpg

Can't beat a bit of crumpet Kev. :wicked:

A couple of those dripping in real butter and a nice strong brew. I'm not sure that I've had cheese on mine before.

Pete

Edited by Peter99

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

Can you all please stop talking about food. Stuck in hospital since Thursday morning.  Food should be fined under the trade description act. 

Steve 

Sorry to hear that Steve.  Nothing serious I hope.  Worst hospital food I ever had was in an Italian Naval Hospital in La Spezia.  Breakfast was a bowl of coffee and a rusk, lunch was pasta and dinner was pasta with either meat or fish in it.

15 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Can you all please stop talking about food. Stuck in hospital since Thursday morning.  Food should be fined under the trade description act. 

Steve 

What's up wi yer Steve?

Pete

Pasta would be wonderful mate. Had routine sinus operation Thursday unfortunately complications so instead of day case Halton hospital  ended up transfer to Warrington general hospital hopefully home tomorrow.  Thank you for asking 

Steve 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.