Angela Davis, my love ia strong how many?

Geeselad

having had a few years off, id not realised just what a big tune this has been. Re pressed twice! Anyway I've noticed the price of the tune has seemed to have dropped quite dramatically recently. I've also been told a bunch have been found. Anybody owing up to having a stash? How many? What's its true value? Is it really rare? Opinion on a postcard please!

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

missed you at gogo mate! :-)

others will know better than me but was a big tune maybe 6 year ago hitting over £1000 and then a 'box turned up' not sure how many and priced dropped a couple of years back as they were slowly introduced to the market but still hits above £500 on ebay from the states normally which is why I grabbed a minter off digging dave for 500 euro recently as there would be no risk of the dreaded customs,always loved it and cant see it dropping much especially as its crossed over to a lot of main rooms now

dean

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Fair question. Over the last year, they seem to have popped up frequently. You mention re-presses, so are the copies surfacing old stock or freshly pressed up? Like Nancy Butts on the same label, once there were few copies and then there were lots. Prices recently have fluctuated as collectors have become cagey about numbers. It looks like a label connection ie artist/producer has been tracked down in Detroit and the remaining copies liberated as releases on Crow, the sister label have also appeared in small numbers. As Joseph Webster on Crow is proving impossible to buy, punters are settling for Angela Davis' version as it's a pretty decent alternative.

Social source share

8 hours ago, geeselad said:

discogs list a straight 2017 repress and another recent issue with some other recent biggie that eludes me at the moment,

Yep, the new press is easily identifiable and has seemingly been released to cash in on the popularity of the expensive original. I have a mint original and it looks 'very new' so it crosses the mind slightly, what year was this actually pressed? In Brad's store in Detroit a fortnight ago, I saw a mint Nancy Butts record on Flaming Arrow and a mint Exquisites on Crow (not the rare one) so I thought, where are all these coming from?  I think some of the Detroit cache have been sold on to other dealers making it harder to figure out the numbers involved.

Social source share

It went for £700 plus in an auction in 2003 ish, been biggie since Arthur played it 2002.  There is a guy who got the stock from the label, he had quantity and by the looks of it one or two others had a few too. There was only one Joseph Webster in the find which was auctioned a couple of moo nth or so ago, £6000 or so.

Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

It went for £700 plus in an auction in 2003 ish, been biggie since Arthur played it 2002.  There is a guy who got the stock from the label, he had quantity and by the looks of it one or two others had a few too. There was only one Joseph Webster in the find which was auctioned a couple of moo nth or so ago, £6000 or so.

Joseph Webster sold for $9,390 so was closer to 8K. At the time, I got the impression this sale was unconnected to the upsurge of Angela Davis coming onto the market. Perhaps one find led to another - there are plenty of Detroit crate diggers and record trackers at work following up the slightest of leads.

Social source share

2 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Joseph Webster sold for $9,390 so was closer to 8K. At the time, I got the impression this sale was unconnected to the upsurge of Angela Davis coming onto the market. Perhaps one find led to another - there are plenty of Detroit crate diggers and record trackers at work following up the slightest of leads.

The seller said he had the stock but just the one copy only of JW. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, geeselad said:

I can remember tony foster telling me to not get "one of those Nancy butts, they're dodgy" about 8 years back.

Most copies came from s shop in Southend, he had something to do with the label owners daughter ir something. Flynny knows the full story., will see if I can find it. 

Social source share

On 09/09/2017 at 10:13, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Yep, the new press is easily identifiable and has seemingly been released to cash in on the popularity of the expensive original. I have a mint original and it looks 'very new' so it crosses the mind slightly

Hi, Is this new press that you refer to the one with label 'Flying Arrow' or is there also a repress with 'Flaming Arrow', if so what should i look for to confirm if my one (Flaming Arrow) is original as I also thought the vinyl looked sort of new. thks for any guidance here.

Edited by bbrich
mistyped.
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!