Gloria Jones Ebay Madness!

I know that the classic oldies are demanding huge prices these day but is this complete madness?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Northern-Soul-45-Gloria-Jones-Tainted-Love-Champion-mp3-/202039834830?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=eXRIpl455vm2hvLCDMh9ldT1AZI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I have a stone mint original demo, should I sell it and buy a Ferrari?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Okehdownsouth said:

I know that the classic oldies are demanding huge prices these day but is this complete madness?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Northern-Soul-45-Gloria-Jones-Tainted-Love-Champion-mp3-/202039834830?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=eXRIpl455vm2hvLCDMh9ldT1AZI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I have a stone mint original demo, should I sell it and buy a Ferrari?

Was watching a few from the seller, over a 1000 up. They all went above expected price, a lot were only G condition. Emory and Dynamics around £600 . £300 was expected, I hashen to add, I won non. !

Social source share

20 minutes ago, chalky said:

It's fetched as much as that or more in auction here hasn't it?

As for gradings, his G is probably a Brits VG+ or Ex grade.

Spot on Chalky, I have had a few records of the seller that have been good+ and I couldn't fault them they always played through really well.

Social source share

3 hours ago, chalky said:

There has been an example of "complete madness" every week for quite sometime.  Every day you open Soul Source, Facebook etc there is a topic similar to this.

Yes its an all to familiar story now.  Seems to b getting more and more regular just lately.

plenty of great records selling for sensible prices and even cheap if people do their homework.

Social source share

10 hours ago, sheep said:

Was watching a few from the seller, over a 1000 up. They all went above expected price, a lot were only G condition. Emory and Dynamics around £600 . £300 was expected, I hashen to add, I won non. !

that emory and dynamics was the rarer dj design,rare and great tune,not sure 300 quid will nail one mate.

however if you dont wanna wait,pete french has one for sale on save ltd for £2.4k

Edited by dobber
Social source share

Not madness but grabbing the best of what remains. The carolinasoul auction offered heaps of rare records but mainly graded at G, well below the usual standard but still playable as conservatively graded. The spoils of victory were shared amongst a number of bidders, mainly battle hardened with high eBay feedback scores. One bidder netted Combinations on Kimtone, Billy Prophet on Sue, Insights on Palmetto and Fred Mark on Omega plus at least one other big tune, blowing well over $2,000; this is shrewd buying where money is no object. There are fewer and fewer rare records turning up for auction, yet more and more chasing them. Rising prices are therefore inevitable.

Social source share

23 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

One bidder netted Combinations on Kimtone, Billy Prophet on Sue, Insights on Palmetto and Fred Mark on Omega plus at least one other big tune, blowing well over $2,000; this is shrewd buying where money is no object. 

Steve Jeffries (rarenorthernsoul.com) Sorry but the Combinations was pretty much unlistenable. Will be amusing to see how it's described when it hits the website., no doubt with some digital filtering to reduce the noise. 

Edited by George G
eh
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, George G said:

Steve Jeffries (rarenorthernsoul.com) Sorry but the Combinations was pretty much unlistenable. Will be amusing to see how it's described when it hits the website., no doubt with some digital filtering to reduce the noise. 

Thanks for confirming - I did suspect it was a dealer with such a large number of bids and a considerable outlay. I think his website is impressive and if you want to see prices rising before your very eyes, this is the place. It's one thing when collectors go head to head for a long term want, but when a dealer has to have something for the 'shop window' at any price, it distorts the market. Next thing, some US dealers are using SJ's winning bids to price up their records. Wasn't the Combinations cracked?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Carolina soul always a feeding frenzy as he lists sounds on commission from all over and advertises as such - historic results attract sellers to use him as a sales outlet ( a bit like JM in UK for prices or DB for quick sales and even better payment ) you pays your money and make your choice !

As for SJ - Always appears to be priced not to sell - then again do you know how much property costs in Great Glen, Leics. - Engelbert's a neighbour.

Its also of course a free market and prices will find their market level - it is not compulsory to bid and remember the chances of winning anything in a world wide open auction are something of a long shot

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I am not questioning the creditability of Carolina Soul, I have bought many records from them over the years and have never been disappointed with the grading. What I am questioning is the price for what I had always assumed was not a rare record, even on a white demo. Like most of you I watch Ebay and other auctions to see what is happening and it is very true that prices for the old classic sounds are very much on the up. Perhaps the proliferation of new DJ's who have to constantly add to their play lists and replace worn out records that get trashed on crappy club turntables may be the cause?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!