So where are all these records being found?

Jim G

2017, yet every week records turn up on Ebay, Sales sites etc. JM ,  Pete Smith, Tim Brown etc. in the UK have some really rare stuff. Carolinasoul on Ebay has 1000 listed at present with many big ticket items. 

So my question to you guys, where the hell are these records being found?

I have joked with my wife, I think I will rent a car in USA and drive round for two weeks to see what I can find. I wouldn't go to NY, Detroit, Chicago or LA but some different locations starting in Seattle. She thinks I am nuts!

Edited by jim g
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

There does seem to be a lot of records around at the moment.I dont think its anything to do with stock loads being discovered in the states.Maybe more of a sign of people selling up their collections to dealers or unfortunately collections from guys who are no longer with us.I think its a trend that will continue over the next few years as people get into retirement age.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Patto said:

There does seem to be a lot of records around at the moment.I dont think its anything to do with stock loads being discovered in the states.Maybe more of a sign of people selling up their collections to dealers or unfortunately collections from guys who are no longer with us.I think its a trend that will continue over the next few years as people get into retirement age.

I agree with this there does seem to be a very high volume of top end rare records continually popping up for sale.

i dont think these are new finds but more likely people selling what has already been found and went into collections some time ago.

and it probably will continue for a good few years.

there will be exceptions but this must be he majority.

a good % of the records are used and not deadstock.

Social source share

34 minutes ago, dobber said:

people selling up on the quiet through other sellers,its the same records doing a circle!

I suspect a lot of that is true. You still can find records in the US but you have to get off the beaten track or go to places wheres a large stash I built up a relationship with about 10 record stores in the US but they now sell directly via Ebay or elsewhere at higher prices than I was paying. The word is out now and collections are being sold in the US to dealers, suspect this will last for some years. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Gotta agree , I know of a lot of collectors who are now  retiring at work having built up some great collections over the years and due to retirement , moving abroad , change of income / circumstances are selling up and cashing in on the silly prices people are willing to pay ! 

Supply and demand as always .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The carolinasoul auction uses stockpiles of locally sourced cast-offs, unsold warehouse stock, label hoards, consignments from UK collector-dealers, estate/yard sale bits and pieces, whole collections etc. Their monthly auctions of 1,000 plus records depend on a steady flow of records from all types of sources.

The US is no longer a great place to plan a road-trip to find rare records at low prices - you can stay at home and they will surface on eBay, Discogs, dealer web-sites etc. Chicago was picked bare years ago, Detroit has mainly stacks of unsleeved common 45's with few uncommon sounds and so it goes. New Orleans has given up it's treasures, Houston barely worth stoping off at, San Francisco stripped bare apart from the commonest sounds. I was in Seattle this summer and could not be bothered to hit the record stores as I took everything I could 10-20 years ago and many others had beaten me to the best stuff there...thanks Nancy.

Some folk think the market is peaking and are selling high-end records to cash in before the predicted glut in years to come. I think there are a lot more sellers at present so the numbers for sale reflect this more than anything.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

You say about people selling their collections.. Due to changes in my own life i now have a mortgage again and at my age it is sorely tempting to sell up so i assume a lot of people with depts etc are also selling.

Edited by Greedy Mick
Spelling mistakes
Social source share

A similar thing with scooters I've had lambrettas for nearly 40 years and collected rare accessories I've sold all my scoots in the last few months and nearly all my rare accessories for a lot of money I think it's peaked just my opinion tho 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 hours ago, jim g said:

2017, yet every week records turn up on Ebay, Sales sites etc. JM ,  Pete Smith, Tim Brown etc. in the UK have some really rare stuff. Carolinasoul on Ebay has 1000 listed at present with many big ticket items. 

So my question to you guys, where the hell are these records being found?

I have joked with my wife, I think I will rent a car in USA and drive round for two weeks to see what I can find. I wouldn't go to NY, Detroit, Chicago or LA but some different locations starting in Seattle. She thinks I am nuts!

I picked up half of my collection in the eighties in a little town outside of Seattle called Olympia I took 300 hundred dollars  brought back 160 records so your idea is very viable even now

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Greedy Mick said:

You say about people selling their collections.. Due to changes in my own life i now have a mortgage again and at my age it is sorely tempting so sell up so i assume a lot of people with depts etc are also selling.

noooooo don't do it buddy tunes out weigh the dept. by a long way your just starting to get spots  holdfast 7 keep your tune good buddy

Social source share

8 hours ago, Patto said:

8 hours ago, Patto said:

I reckon that peeps in the states have realised what a massive mistake they made in the sixties & now are into the same tunes that has opened up the whole market place the internet has finally really got going & the northern scene over there has helped

• Up vote 1
Social source share

47 minutes ago, redditchcrew said:

I reckon that peeps in the states have realised what a massive mistake they made in the sixties & now are into the same tunes that has opened up the whole market place the internet has finally really got going & the northern scene over there has helped

No, not really, it's just the dollar signs on their eyeballs going round and round. Sure, there's a savvy few who really appreciate the music, Matt in New York, Greg in New Jersey, Chris in San Antonio, Brad in Detroit and someone in just about every big city. But in reality, most music fans are unaware of what's happened and continue to ignore soul records of all descriptions...until they have a valuable one in their hands and they want to sell it.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Roburt said:

'Greg in New Jersey'  is now 'Greg in Palm Springs' .... moved to the sun a couple of weeks back.

He joins Richie in Vegas, Les in Scottsdale etc as a Sunbelt transplant...may as well count records and/or dollars in warmer climes. Palm Springs is too hot for me - I hope he keeps his records nice and cool.

Social source share

2 hours ago, jim g said:

has Hawaii been cleaned out? I have the chance to got their again with friends from there

Never was anything there. I picked up a few Motowns and Sunny and the Sunliners on RPR from a collection when Jelly's was by the Ala Moana Centre back in the 80's. When Jelly's moved to King Street, I grabbed a few dozen common records in the 90's. I got Roy Hamilton's Earthquake from Jelly's in Pearl Harbour again in the 90's but there was nothing in the warehouse-type store when last there about ten years ago.

Jelly's has a store downtown but there was very little there the first time I went in 2015 and even less in 2016. I didn't bother to go this summer.

To dispel the myth, there were never any collections of rare records left in the islands by servicemen. When the troops shipped to Oahu, they could only take a kit-bag. Some officers would have had a record player but it would have played Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, teen idols etc back in the 60's. There was a local music industry producing indie sounds but nothing soulful. The music industy still thrives today and produces island-style reggae which is excellent in some cases.

Have a good trip. Best place on the planet for a summer holiday or a winter trip.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I live in southern California and I can't speak for everybody, but I've been finding ridiculously good records at thrift stores and flea markets for years. Sometimes it's just one or two, but often times there is a small collection, and every once in a while a larger collection. I think, for southern California anyways, music seems to be a prevalent part of people's lives, so you constantly get people with collections ranging from pretty decent to amazing, that either sell or just donate them. There used to be LOTS of little radio stations in the 60s and 70s, so running into a dj or someone who's parent was a dj unloading there library happens quite a bit as well. Similarly, there was lots of little record stores back then, so every once in a while you get a fairly substantial load of store/distributor stock(in 2015 there was such a big one of these that I got: Ty Karim "All at Once", The Primers, 2 copies of the Corduroys on Hale, Lil Lavair and The Jades, Sandy Wynns on Simco, Shirley Lawson on Backbeat, The Magnificents on DeeGee, 2 copies of Joey Heatherton when you call me baby, 2 copies of the Olympics Same Old Thing, 2 copies of Billy Watkins I'm Tired, and too many more to list. Someone I know got like half a dozen of each of the lollipops and joey heatherton, 2 copies each of the primers, hayes cotton and larry Clinton, and a bunch more...and I know there was other people that got stuff too, there was so much of it the thrift store couldn't put it all out at once....all from the same distributor stock....no bs). There was so much music here, that there still is a bunch of music here.....

Social source share

7 hours ago, maestro said:

I live in southern California and I can't speak for everybody, but I've been finding ridiculously good records at thrift stores and flea markets for years. S

We are looking at a Winnebago for next year for us and our friends on the west coast and I will have permission to go to flea markets so you never know!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 hours ago, jim g said:

We are looking at a Winnebago for next year for us and our friends on the west coast and I will have permission to go to flea markets so you never know!

I have a feeling you will find some good stuff. 

Social source share

I know for a fact that it's down to people selling up and moving on so to speak. I speak to top dealers on a regular basis and many say they are not short of offers for them to buy collections. Wondering if it's the 1980s scenario when many collectors and club goers moved on because the scene got too commercial. Things do go in circles on the music scene, always have done.

Social source share

Having faced several good reasons for selling up over recent years, I am still in employment, and very reluctant  to part with my "precious" collection....I appreciate the reasons for doing so, but I love my records moreso than I did when I first started collecting, and am still actively buying....I'd love to retire, but the music , along with other facets of life mean so much to me....Proper Northern moreover:hatsoff2:

Wilxy

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, JOHNNYBETCHA said:

I travelled all along the California coastline two years ago and visited loads of thrift stores - some of them were previously big department stores but i never found a bloody thing!

Ditto. Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles in three recent summers and only a handful of good sounds amongst the common stuff. Certainly no Larry Clintons or Primers... Plenty on eBay from SoCal, especially San Diego, but mainly collection items and old store stock. If you are a local and do the rounds week in, week out, you will turn up stuff every now and again but the hit-rate is pretty low. Trick is, go in the better stocked stores and bump into like-minded folk who'll give you a name and phone number - same as anywhere else in the States.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!