Badge query - Have you seen one before?

I have for years owned a Cleethorpes Pier Anniversary Allnighter badge from February 1976, which has always bugged me because the actual sticker inside the badge was off centre. I have never dared peel it off in case I damaged it. Tonight I bit the bullet and peeled it off, and to my surprise, underneith it was another sticker. I have never seen one before and I wondered if anyone else has? Was the sticker in the second photo ever produced as a badge? The first photo is the badge with the sticker realigned, the second, the sticker that was underneith that I am enquiring about.
Thanks

2017-09-18 01.45.09.jpg

2017-09-18 01.45.18.jpg

Edited by Northern Soul UK
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Interesting one this, i remember having a conversation about the badge in question way back in the mid seventies when the 7" single was given away given away at the first Anniversary, I think Mary ordered the metal badges and fitted the centre piece because i obtained some of the spare paper badges either on a roll or on sheets that you peeled off and put in the metal badge, And Yes the white badge was one of Mary's too, Mary must have had some of the other white badges left over and utilised those to make the Anniversary ones and save a bit of money at the time (although some one could have had a white  badge and put an anniversary sticker over it) I still have the 2 official patches and membership card and both the red and the white metal badge that you see on the front cover of the "Cleethorpes Story" CD/LP that i compiled for Goldmine Records back in the 90's as those are mine, Did you get your badge at the Pier Anniversary or from someone else at a later date, Anyway what i shall do is give mary a ring and have a chat with her and i am sure she will be able to clarify this for you. Cheers for now, Rick.   

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hi Rick and thank you for the info. Yes I got my badge at the anniversary in Feb '76. I came second in the dance comp and along with £25 (a lot then), I was given the badge as a prize. As I say I have never before attempted to remove the red badge sticker to align it, as it was off centre, but last night I thought I would give it a go, and found the other (white) badge underneith. 
Thanks again - Steve Luigi

Edited by Northern Soul UK
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Thats interesting as i have spoke to Mary and Colin And was informed that the white badge was not an official Cleethorpes Badge, she had nothing to do with having it made so I would not have included it on the cover of the CD/Lp.Had i Known, Seems i got caught out on that one as well. :g:I thought Mary had done them as they looked similar to the ones that she used (probably the same badge makers)

The red one was Ltd to 100 badges  to be given away FREE to each of the Dee Jays and very close friends etc, So very collectable if you have one. :thumbsup:

Mary bought the metal pin badges and ordered the centre piece of the Anniversary badge from the printers and stuck them on by hand. 

The red stickers i mentioned i had spares of on a roll or sheet were NOT the anniversary ones for the badge but spares of the stickers that were on the UK copies of the "So Is The Sun" World Column 7" given away free for at the Anniversary. 

So there we have it, both Mary And Colin have not been in the greatest of health recently but both were very upbeat and and seemed very happy that i had called them and had a chat and am sure they would not mind me sending their best wishes on to anyone that knows them, came into contact with them over the years or may well bump into them any time soon as they still get out now and again but not as often as they would like, So, Take Cheers for now :yes:

Rick. 

Edited by RICK SCOTT
Social source share

That's a weird one then? As I say the white sticker was under the red sticker.
Please give my regards to Mary and Colin, they may not remember me, but would definitely remember the guy that I used to go to the Pier with, Gary Field. I also used to go with Ian Dewhirst (Frank), still a very good friend.
Thanks for the info Nick, much appreciated.
Steve Luigi

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Northern Soul UK said:

Rick, further to your above post.?
I have had this photo sent from someone on Facebook, as I also asked the question on there.
He says that it was the 1st anniversary badge, so this is a boot then LOL
No automatic alt text available.

Yes i suspect that is so :lol: well after talking to Mary And Colin and their memory on stuff from back then amazed me. As for the badge i suppose that is nothing new as it goers on today with tour shirts and all the rest of it and just someone at the time decided to do a badge for the event, Hey even i got caught out at the time. Would like to think whoever did them was a Gleggy fan too, as the metal badges very similar it would make you think so, obviously from the same supplier, Have to say though Great Days And Great Nites had by all........ Cheers for now

Rick

Social source share

4 hours ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Yes i suspect that is so :lol: well after talking to Mary And Colin and their memory on stuff from back then amazed me. As for the badge i suppose that is nothing new as it goers on today with tour shirts and all the rest of it and just someone at the time decided to do a badge for the event, Hey even i got caught out at the time. Would like to think whoever did them was a Gleggy fan too, as the metal badges very similar it would make you think so, obviously from the same supplier, Have to say though Great Days And Great Nites had by all........ Cheers for now

Rick

Yes top days in Cleethorpes Pier and Winter Gardens. A lot of good memories and friends

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 6 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!