Poll: 60s or 70s Which one was the most Soulful decade

Mike

Poll: The most Soulful decade  

1. 1. Out of the two which one would you consider the most soulful?

• 1960s
    • 1970s

This poll is closed to new votes

• Sign in or join to vote
  • Poll closed on 25/09/17 at 17:48

Guest Spain pete

Must be the 70's , the decade of the album , 60's all about singles  lots of artists trying to score that commercial hit , whereas albums gave more scope to really put more thoughtful soulful music across    IMO 🎶🎶🎶

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Strange !.  l was going to cite what's going on,  as you say,   says it all really 👍🎶🎶🎶

6 minutes ago, bbrich said:

Have to agree with Spain pete, in fact marvin gayes whats going on is enough to swing it on its own for me.  But when it comes to a night out then if i had to choose one over the other it would be 60's.

Social source share

Think this depends to a great degree on how old you are, I would think over 64,s you would perhaps favour the 1960,s under 60's the 1970's it's the timing of the soul had on your hormones growing up would have a major factor on your mindset first Love ect. For instance a lot of those in their 50, s seem to think that the NS scene started  when they did and still fail to realise  it was at least 10 years before so age of the individual would have a factor on preference if it's down to music made I think the 1960's wins hands down you could say on the other hand that 1960's music ended in 1972 

Respects ML

• Up vote 1
Social source share

soulfulness wise it has to be 70's, just listen to the output of Philly int compared to Motown, far more soulful imho. Also you have a whole decade to go at, whereas the 60's didn't get soul until halfway through the decade and although I like loads of R and B, most it aint soulful, bluesful maybe but not soulful.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, geeselad said:

soulfulness wise it has to be 70's, just listen to the output of Philly int compared to Motown, far more soulful imho. Also you have a whole decade to go at, whereas the 60's didn't get soul until halfway through the decade and although I like loads of R and B, most it aint soulful, bluesful maybe but not soulful.

Is there an aknowdged year when blues and r&b all blended together to create soul ?

any particular record that is considered the first soul record ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I was born in 1971, so was not really aware of stuff at the time (except my old sister had a disco compilation called "Hot Nights, City Lights" with "brick house", "I will survive" etc on it that I rocked out to when I was like 6 years  old!)

...based on my records collection, however I wish you could split the difference. it seems like 1968-1972 was the epitome of soulful (leaving behind pop/twee girlie and Motown and was still pre-disco and indulgent funk/jazz/studio-jam). stuff like Leroy Horne's "don't come back" (Pompeii 1968) or Marvin L Sims "get off my back" (Revue 1969) seem to have the perfect blend of tight, focused 1960s song smithing, street-wise grittiness/attitude, and appropriate level of raw-ness in production. those are just two random examples that happen to be sitting on my decks right now, but you get the picture. 

I know that answer is cheating! sorry!

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

4 hours ago, dylan said:

Is there an aknowdged year when blues and r&b all blended together to create soul ?

There is no particular record what you could say was the first soul record everybody has their own opinion soul is in the ears of the listener and every body would have their own interpretation unless you generalise there are soulful records in the 1950,s and there is no particular year you could say things blended together when certain dance crazes materialised fashions, it's a mesh of simple and complex realities that came together from spiritual churches , blues, hard times, good times,Dancing , Romancing,  Drugs, You couldn't make it up its just what happened

ML

Social source share

4 hours ago, geeselad said:

Totally understand your opinion the Philly period produced some great soulful times however it became a little slick and sweet to old soul dogs like me I think the early 1960,s produced some of the most fantastic soulful vocals on R n B and soul records  as regards Marvin Gaye great what's going on album that is a direct bi product an echo of what happened in the 1960's as regards the majority of NS music between 1970 to 75 was a repeat and a rehash of 1964 till 1970 music like I have stated before the 1960,s music period lasted until at least 1973 this is a great discussion and I look forward to hearing everybody,s points of view

Respects and Peace

ML

Social source share

As much as I love the 1960's era, for me the 1970's is streets ahead as the most Soulful, apart from the Philly sounds already mentioned there are so many great Artists like Barry White, Al Green, Diana Ross, Stylistics, Chi - Lites, Delfonics the list is endless, so yes I Dig the 1970's...:thumbsup:  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

1960s was more soulful.  '70s had Disco and lots of new "plastic" instruments.  '60s still had traditional Blues and plunky pianos, rather than "keyboards".  the '70s music was far away from what i was used to from the '40s, '50s and '60s.  Funk was "Soulful", but, I felt that a lot of the '70s Soul lacked individualism and deep feeling.

Social source share

1 hour ago, RobbK said:

1960s was more soulful.  '70s had Disco and lots of new "plastic" instruments.  '60s still had traditional Blues and plunky pianos, rather than "keyboards".  the '70s music was far away from what i was used to from the '40s, '50s and '60s.  Funk was "Soulful", but, I felt that a lot of the '70s Soul lacked individualism and deep feeling.

I like a lot of 70s stuff but it is very slick and lacks the earthy appeal of the early Stax/Muscle Shoals/Goldwax/New Orleans sound that really gives me the 'feeling'.

Just listened to Irma Thomas 'Wish Someone Would Care' again and - yup - I'll take the 60s every time.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 15:31, dylan said:

Sam Cooke is often cited as the first soul singer, the impressions were also a fundamental influence on the transition of r and b into soul. Imho the first soul records are from 64/65. But this subject is a thread in itself!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, geeselad said:

Sam Cooke is often cited as the first soul singer, the impressions were also a fundamental influence on the transition of r and b into soul. Imho the first soul records are from 64/65. But this subject is a thread in itself!

A change is gonna come must stake a claim.

its a hugely inflduential record and was 64.

i guess i know my question doesnt have a definitive answer but in some of the earlier records there is something missing to really call them soul.

i wonder if they apprecitaed just how special the now aknowledged classsic soul tracks were when they were making them.

yes it is a whole topic in itself to answer this one i'd lean towwards 60s but then its a close run thing both decades had some fantastic and pretty average output.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, dylan said:

A change is gonna come must stake a claim.

its a hugely inflduential record and was 64.

i guess i know my question doesnt have a definitive answer but in some of the earlier records there is something missing to really call them soul.

i wonder if they apprecitaed just how special the now aknowledged classsic soul tracks were when they were making them.

yes it is a whole topic in itself to answer this one i'd lean towwards 60s but then its a close run thing both decades had some fantastic and pretty average output.

There were thousands of soul records before that , that weren't hits but were real soulful records no one artist or record to stake a claim that they were first  the list is far to vast to come to a conclusion and that's before you start interpratating what is soul music, I think on a broader front Soul music as we know it or what I think soul music isL o L,started mid 1950's evolved late 1950's took on anew dimension early 1960's then evolved again to an even broader spectrum late 1960's early 1970,s then you get the Sweet slick Philadelphia sounds and disco soul of the mid 1970,s added to the mix there is something for everyone I just personally prefer the 1960,s up until 1973 everybody has their own choice that's what makes soul music the best

peace and Tranquility

ML

Social source share

Great poll, sorry in advance for the ramble there is a point at the end, really got me thinking, having started my soul journey around 68 seeing the poll my gut instinct was the 60’s probably down to being young and the memory of discovering all the fabulous tunes for the first time, the excitement and sheer joy of finding new tunes and swapping discoveries with mates not realising that feeling would never really fade, the excitement of hearing something that blows my mind lasts to this day. It seemed back then nothing could be better, there was a wealth of back catalogue to swim through, tunes recommended by older mates who were starting to go to clubs, listening to the Mike Raven show etc.

I still get a curious tingle when Clarence Carter does that laugh on Looking for a Fox .Recently after selling and giving away some of my collection I thought I’d better initiate a keepers box which turned out to be quite an eye opener, I have long since got rid of anything of value so that wasn’t a consideration and would not have been anyway so my choices came down to what memories the record invoked, several went in the box purely because holding the record made me smile, end result a pretty even mix of 60’s and later stuff including stuff that made the charts, New York City etc which depending on your point of view may or may not be soulful but that's another question.

So to the poll, well I find myself undecided, sure I think there was a lot of pretty middle of the road stuff in the 70’s as the production became more sophisticated, less earthy as Liam says but there’s still a shit load of soulful stuff there. If I did it semi scientifically and listed my favourite artists there would definitely be more 60’s there than any other period but would that make it more soulful, not sure, my heart wants to hit the 60’s button but my head is saying Whoa there, what about Al Green, Millie Jacksons Caught Up saga, Aretha etc. Where’s the both equally button!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hope to agree we're talking about the singing here. God knows I love my few instrumental 45's but soul is voice first right ? If agreed, I'd say vocal wise in the 7T's the singing seemed more liberated generally. To a point when it became a style and at times turned into a caricature of itself. The problem with any recipe that works and sells is that copycats and opportunists are just around the corner and the thing can become unbearable as embarrassing.

In the 6T's I believe that the vocals were often more "refrained" and at times also caricatures of themselves. But hopefully there are plenty of fantastic exceptions from the early 6T's through the 7T's and 8T's. But one has to admit that "inspired" soul vocals were random in the 6T's and that it became the more 'conventional' vocal approach in and all along the 7T's.

This is why we dig for our 'rare soul' music. To find the one that will thick all the boxes in one's heart. So I've given up long ago to set barriers in decades, orchestration and Hi-Fi on records only to listen if the record actually can satisfy my soul thirst. On the pol matter I'd say "inspired soul singing" was more widespread during the 7T's but when it comes to count the tunes coming to my mind to stick being "soulful" voices, they are all 6T's...

Edited by tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, stretfordender said:

Press that button Bill, 60's for me

image.jpeg.95bbfc27282418c9de39c64cdfc74e9e.jpeg

Still on the fence Vance and the grass is no greener on one side or tother, my heart is still pulling for the 60's don't know why I'm dithering it aint' gonna change the world one way or another, quote made me smile, 

Social source share

The instruments might have changed, the techniques and production more sophisticated but the 70s was full of soul, to say otherwise is nonsense.  Soul isn't in just the music, the vocal is the most important aspect.

Rehearsed?  You only have to look at the techniques at Motown from 64 onwards to see the 60s was just as rehearsed and practised, it and other companies were production lines.  Time in the studios was tight and precious and there was little time for improvisation and endless hours until they got it right, of course rehearsals took place. 

There was so much that was aimed at the white teenage markets that any down to earth, rough and ready soul had just about been taken out.  That's not to say there wasn't any soul, far from it but the 70s for me probably edges it for the depth of soul music.  It might not be to some of your tastes, I understand many prefer 60s (and vice versa) and often no matter how hard we sometimes try we can't look beyond our preference but the soul was there and just as prolific as what went before or after.

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Soul is soul  no matter what decade ,  70's is better than 60's because the population of the world was bigger in the 70's  and more music was being made.like most things it's a numbers game               VOTE  70's  🎶🎶

Social source share

1 hour ago, RobbK said:

If we're going to use a 10-year period, I'd use 1963-1972.

I would agree with you totally on those years if I picked 10 they would be those as I've state earlier taking nothing away from the rest of the 1970's but 63~72 I was a child of the time so I might be a little biased  L o L no I'm not they were the greatest! But I do respect everybody's choice

God Bless

ML

Social source share

72% say the 60s is the most soulful, which is an most interesting stat and so thanks to all those who took part in the poll

Again the comments and follow on discussion was both entertaining and worthwhile so thanks as well to all who took part in that side of things as well

A new poll is now up and running...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!