How far would you travel..

Tomangoes

I travelled back for the 100 Club 16th Anniversary Nighter from Cyprus having been stationed out there with the Army at the time in 95  ! 

Great night as always and then moved to London the following year which saved the travel 

Regularly use to travel monthly when back home in Scotland in the 80 's along with everybody else ! 

Thought nothing of it hopping on a coach or train for 6hrs or more...  

Edited by The Tempest
Social source share

In my experience traveling to nighters is a bit like how long is a piece of string. It always takes longer and is more miles than first thought. I've been on roundabouts that have added 5 miles to the journey  after being distracted by people talking utter bollocks. Then there's the complete inability to see road signs, mostly because nobody is taking a bit of notice as they arguing about which cassette to play. My overiding opinion, on the subject of driving to all nighters is its a good job they are on all night.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Kegsy said:

In my experience traveling to nighters is a bit like how long is a piece of string. It always takes longer and is more miles than first thought. I've been on roundabouts that have added 5 miles to the journey  after being distracted by people talking utter bollocks. Then there's the complete inability to see road signs, mostly because nobody is taking a bit of notice as they arguing about which cassette to play. My overiding opinion, on the subject of driving to all nighters is its a good job they are on all night.

Travelling to all niters was never a problem - hitch hiking, driving or on a coach. Driving your own motor when a bit older was preferable - although not an option when I first when I started out. A nice, slow burn lift into euphoria as your stash kicked in - and then into the ritual of talking complete bollocks until you reached the venue and got on the dance floor - where i stayed all night. Although it is probably worth pointing out that there was never any slow burn if your stash was 3 for £2 blues! 

The journey home was often a nightmare - paranoid and sick as fcuk depending on you're stash. :hypo::sweatingbullets::hypo: Having my own car made life far more bearable. 

As for how far we would travel - who cared, it was part of the ritual. As was breaking down, running out of petrol and having a car with no heating. Them were the days - I think we even had rickets and diphtheria! 

Pete

:thumbup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Worth travelling to regardless of distance  if the music policy is good and venue. Average night out 70 mile round trip

Lowton, Burscough, Ashton Ukraine 

The weather hasn't been an issue either . I drove my little peugeot  car over to Warrington from Rochdale in a blizzard with the mind set of "Don't worry about getting back as long as we get there"   

The promoters couldn't believe we'd even try to get there when folk who lived within a mile cried off .

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Lancaster to Allerton (shotts) seemed to take ages,then Lancaster to 100 club only thing i feel asleep :sleep3: on train on the way home and woke up and asked where we was to a passenger who said we had just left Carlisle next stop Edinburgh. 2 hour wait there, then train back to Lancaster WORST experience of my travelling to allnighters. :(:(:(

Social source share

We did Shotts from Swindon in deep snow most of the way on a SECOND night once (about 750 miles) - forget where we went on the Friday.

Me and Pete co-ran the White Heather on a Friday, down to Donny at Saus and Wendy's all Saturday and then the 100 Club, back to Donny - home Monday lunchtime (about 700 miles).

Did Morecambe allnighter from Oxford on a scooter (450 miles), and on another weekend Lowestoft Allnighter, Chelmsford Alldayer and the 100 Club on a scooter (350 miles).

Always did Peterborough Fleet on a scooter from Hull when I was at college (220 miles).

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, DaveNPete said:

We did Shotts from Swindon in deep snow most of the way on a SECOND night once (about 750 miles) - forget where we went on the Friday.

Me and Pete co-ran the White Heather on a Friday, down to Donny at Saus and Wendy's all Saturday and then the 100 Club, back to Donny - home Monday lunchtime (about 700 miles).

Did Morecambe allnighter from Oxford on a scooter (450 miles), and on another weekend Lowestoft Allnighter, Chelmsford Alldayer and the 100 Club on a scooter (350 miles).

Always did Peterborough Fleet on a scooter from Hull when I was at college (220 miles).

Dx

hardcore dave, I'd have more respect for some of the young guns if they were doing it more, that said there are a small band of them that are always up and out.

that national express from London to Blackburn, was a long one, it used to stop at every small town in lancs.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

54 minutes ago, SoulStu said:

My Soul Source bud Bazza, (who I haven't seen for ages) lives near Amsterdam and he used to fly to Birmingham, hire a car, drive to Mansfield to go to Kingsway, Grosvenor rooms etc...

Did it for quite a while although he's gone awol these days.

If the Bazza you're talking about is the one I think it is, he's still over here and lives just a couple of miles away from me. He's always to be seen out on the floor at soul nights here. :thumbup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

If the Bazza you're talking about is the one I think it is, he's still over here and lives just a couple of miles away from me. He's always to be seen out on the floor at soul nights here. :thumbup:

That'll be him.... Nice guy, good to know he's still around! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 8 months later...

Before the days of satnav, we got lost many times on the long journeys to nighters. We started thinking  it wasn’t a good night unless we got lost along the way!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Hitched a lift to Dunstable Queens hall nighter in the 80, s took me 12 hours. Got there at 7.45am as it ended at 8am. Then took me about 18 hrs to get home on a dodgy scooter. 

Went Dublin numerous times but 1st time got to venue at 10.30pm place closed at midnight . ( Dublin bankers club ) 

Followed snow plough on M62 over Pennines to get to Sheridans.

Wouldn't change it for the world 

Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Hitched a lift to Dunstable Queens hall nighter in the 80, s took me 12 hours. Got there at 7.45am as it ended at 8am. Then took me about 18 hrs to get home on a dodgy scooter. 

Went Dublin numerous times but 1st time got to venue at 10.30pm place closed at midnight . ( Dublin bankers club ) 

Followed snow plough on M62 over Pennines to get to Sheridans.

Wouldn't change it for the world 

Steve 

Got the t shirt steve 😂😂 atb baz

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!