Valerie Simpson thread

Guest woolie mark

Maybe a reflection of the time and the way they were packaging her - Carole King's "Tapestry" might have had something to do with it. Certainly there was a more introspective turn in popular music more generally at this time, and despite Berry Gordy's resistance Motown already had its share, e.g. Stevie's "Music of my mind", Norman Whitfield's work with the Tempts and Undisputed Truth, and of course Marvin...

And wasn't Valerie the stand in for Tammi Terrell on the third duet LP with Marvin?

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

I started this thread because I thought it was her birthday today.  Doh! - it was actually 26th August, when she was 71 years young this year.  I can't even comprehend what it must be like to have already achieved so much in a lifetime.  This is from two or three years ago (Ms Simpson appears 4 minutes in), pure genius:

Edited by woolie mark
Social source share

Guest woolie mark
14 hours ago, Roburt said:

My fave from A & S .... 

It's been years since I last heard this, listening to it just now I had an actual shiver down my spine.  Nice one Roburt!

Social source share

Guest woolie mark
12 hours ago, tomangoes said:

All round musical perfection and genius.

Writers arrangers composers performers. 

Ed

That's David Sanborn on sax and George Duke on piano......black music royalty!!!

Edited by woolie mark
Social source share

another 'sort of wierd one'- and not my favourite, but worth a mention...maybe.

Amy Winehouse's 2007 CD Back to Black for the single "Tears Dry on Their Own". The track is based on a sample of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's 1967 Motown hit "Ain't No Mountain High Enough".

Social source share

On 9/26/2017 at 14:00, stevegods said:

She has never had the real credit of a lot of the stuff they put out !!

Shot at a J&R's (New York Music & Computer store) live show event. They used to stage a few of these each year. I attended one when Dianne Reeves was the live attraction. The store, which was between the Brooklyn Bridge & World trade Centre, is long gone unfortunately. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, platters 81 said:

my fave

I don't think it was ever established how this song ended up with the Carrolls' producer. By all accounts there was an acetate floating about many years back which featured Valerie doing the demo version of the song, perhaps that's how Chris Parmenter came across it (though he didn't have too many industry connections as he was only a producer at Polydor for around 2 years -- 66/67).

Anyone know who ended up with Val's original demo acetate ?? It doesn't appear to have been registered as a Jobete song till around the time A & S started working for BG's organisation.

When Diana R cut a later version of the song (with A & S as producers), it seems Nick redid the demo so as not to present Diana with a pilot version that featured a female lead.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

4 hours ago, Roburt said:

I don't think it was ever established how this song ended up with the Carrolls' producer. By all accounts there was an acetate floating about many years back which featured Valerie doing the demo version of the song, perhaps that's how Chris Parmenter came across it (though he didn't have too many industry connections as he was only a producer at Polydor for around 2 years -- 66/67).

Anyone know who ended up with Val's original demo acetate ?? It doesn't appear to have been registered as a Jobete song till around the time A & S started working for BG's organisation.

When Diana R cut a later version of the song (with A & S as producers), it seems Nick redid the demo so as not to present Diana with a pilot version that featured a female lead.

there's another version from same year/month

note the writing credits

also the shel tamly involvement which if was the earlier release then it may explain how the Carolls version came about

also online somewhere there's a live radio version by The Iveys who later became Badfinger

have the recording somewhere but was lo-fi

a fair bit of info is now online 

Social source share

I'd have loved to have seen Ashford & SIMPSON live back in their prime (70's / 80's) ...

Ashford&SimpsonMont.jpg

It seems that, though there are numerous clips from that TV show up on youtube, no one has seen fit to put the bit with A&S in it up there ... 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts
On 08/10/2017 at 08:39, Roburt said:

I'd have loved to have seen Ashford & SIMPSON live back in their prime (70's / 80's) ...

Ashford&SimpsonMont.jpg

It seems that, though there are numerous clips from that TV show up on youtube, no one has seen fit to put the bit with A&S in it up there ... 

I don't know if it's still open but they used to have a club on upper west side NYC the 'sugar shack' always meant to go on the hope of a chance that the proprietors might step up on stage as I hear occasionally did happen.

on a side note I saw Val's bother Ray do lead vocals with the village people years back ( policeman ) - he was brilliant. Cut a great LP, songs written by V & N stand out track 'No one is satisfied' - recorded at Sigma sound ....bloody brilliant!! 

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Polyvelts
6 hours ago, woolie mark said:

I love the party atmosphere on this record , especially on the 12” - even prefer it to V And N version

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!