Poll: Version Battle - These Things Will Keep

Mike

Version Poll: These Things Will Keep Me Loving You?  

1. 1. Which Version does it for you?

• Blue Sharks
    • The Velvelettes

This poll is closed to new votes

• Sign in or join to vote
  • Poll closed on 02/10/17 at 17:59

We have up this time a battle that has been fought a few times before, its a proper motown classic up against a version that has had some popularity and what was fairly recently in the spotlight here on soul source

{via this topic by @Gene-R   https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/361931-the-blue-sharks-the-soul-scenes-longest-ever-cover-up/)

yep its The Velvelettes v The Blue Sharks one

The Blue Sharks

The Velvelettes

and so your prefered version of the two is....?

as always feel most free to post up reasons, views, your history with these two and such behind your choice below

Poll will close next monday..

Social source share

The original is really superior in every aspect (imo). That said , if the Blue Sharks were the only version I'm  sure it would have a higher standing.  As a (lesser) alternative  to the original I prefer the version by Romey Carr which has a nice bassline. 

Social source share

Velvelettes for me, it's a brilliant Tamla Motown Classic which I have made a point of playing many times when get asked to play some motown doing mainstream dj-ing over the years, it made a nice change from the obvious tracks like Baby Love, Jimmy Mack, This Old Heart Of Mine etc... :) :hatsoff2:

Social source share

As a rule I usually prefer 9 out of 10 prefer the original but for some strange reason the blue sharks version as caught something on the production that gives it that 5% I know it's of a cheap £1 Woolworth recording but it's just got the edge on the velvelletes and I do love some of their material both really good though

ML

Social source share

Blue Sharks for me - every time, the production is better and I prefer this version. 

1. Probably the first of the two that I heard  - maybe that's a reason
  2. The Blue Sharks always reminds me of Soul Sam and Nev Wherry
  3. I love the story behind the Sharks - the name of the group, the up until recently belief that they were unknown Italian's
  4. Soul Sam buying his original copy back from someone in Italy so that he could play it at the last Cleethorpes Winter Garden All Dayer
  5. I like the Gran Prix label design
  6. I have one in my very modest collection. 

Pete

:thumbup:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

In another recent poll on this question , 92% of 181 people surveyed said the sharks was better , but 93% of 187 said the velvelettes was  better ,  so you do the math ? 😱🎶🎶

On 26/09/2017 at 21:46, solidsoul said:

Why can't I like both?  Why do i have to choose?

Social source share

The original is a classic Motown production. The Blue Shark musicians  sound like a  session group basing their arrangement to some extent on the original. However it isn't quite there. The big fault with the Blue Sharks (imo) is the drumming is  too loud and prominent in the mix.  It's overpowering. To me it sounds like a standard average session group of musicians giving it a decent run through. The vocals (lead and backing)  are not on the same level as the original but it is a decent effort nonetheless.

Edited by maslar
typo
Social source share

30 minutes ago, jim g said:

And strangely on the Italian Blue Sharks copy the writing credits are to some called "Fogerty". I guess to avoid paying royalties?

I think when the Italian authorites asked who to credit as writers the blue sharks said I haven’t got the foggiest, something got lost in translation. 😂 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, chalky said:

I think when the Italian authorites asked who to credit as writers the blue sharks said I haven’t got the foggiest, something got lost in translation. 😂 

Fogert yt, Berry Gordy got ripped off once again... :lol: myself I think not. The Requins Bleus is so uninspired pop where the Velvelettes never did a bad song and every 45's they did bare at least one fab song  ! 

Edited by tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, steviehay said:

detroit all day the other is just pop no contest 

Everybody has their own choice to make but all of a sudden because it's discovered Blue Sharks is a session band of a completion Lp at Woolworths it becomes just pop nobody called it pop before the discovery it's called being clever after the fact I like both versions but that session band definetly caught soul it did happen more than you think, Open your eyes Open your ears but pop music it's not, no time for snobbery in soul

No Offence 

God Bless

ML

• Up vote 1
Social source share

30 minutes ago, Hooker1951 said:

Everybody has their own choice to make but all of a sudden because it's discovered Blue Sharks is a session band of a completion Lp at Woolworths it becomes just pop nobody called it pop before the discovery it's called being clever after the fact I like both versions but that session band definetly caught soul it did happen more than you think, Open your eyes Open your ears but pop music it's not, no time for snobbery in soul

No Offence 

God Bless

ML

I agree with this. I wouldn't call it pop. It just shows how some people don't really know soul music or any type of music for that matter. That's why I've always believed that its better ot have a wider appreciation of different types of music. The mentality that only "soul" is good is pretty stupid  -especially when it's only good as long as someone  has given it the "soul" tag - regardless of how bad it really is. 

But it also works both ways. There are people who think the Blue Sharks (with it's adequate  vocals and arrangement) is brilliant that would undoubtably turn their nose up at other Britsh soul recordings by white artists that are actually better. Or instrumentals.  It's all quite bizarre really because they're trying to fit their quality control within a pretty tight  definition that they haven't ever really got to grips with. There's no logic or rationality to it.   

Edited by maslar
typo
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Hooker1951 said:

No Offence 

God Bless

ML

No offense intended on this side either, but I know my "POP". Even the few "guilty secret" records I still own and that I still kinda like and easily admit to it when pointed out; I just toss my hand in the air and try to take a I don't care I like it proud attitude for few seconds before letting escape a "guilty" smile and few words I know it's Eeek ! "POP" but I still like it... Where I always had issues with Euro productions even when the vocals are the real USA thing.

So I could never like the Blue Sharks and since I didn't remembered how it goes, I just went and listen to it again on YT. Straight from the opening of the tune I couldn't keep it up as the vocals screamed "POP" and I ended that YT session right away. I totally admit that one like or even prefer this to that but not to admit that it's not soulful and has to be something else like the "POP" thing ensemble can fit, is not really arguable I find. God Bless !

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, tlscapital said:

No offense intended on this side either, but I know my "POP". Even the few "guilty secret" records I still own and that I still kinda like and easily admit to it when pointed out; I just toss my hand in the air and try to take a I don't care I like it proud attitude for few seconds before letting escape a "guilty" smile and few words I know it's Eeek ! "POP" but I still like it... Where I always had issues with Euro productions even when the vocals are the real USA thing.

So I could never like the Blue Sharks and since I didn't remembered how it goes, I just went and listen to it again on YT. Straight from the opening of the tune I couldn't keep it up as the vocals screamed "POP" and I ended that YT session right away. I totally admit that one like or even prefer this to that but not to admit that it's not soulful and has to be something else like the "POP" thing ensemble can fit, is not really arguable I find. God Bless !

Yes I know my POP too been obsessed with music all kinds of music for the last 55 years Rock n Roll , R n B,  Rave,  Popcorn and Pop if it's good music and it sounds good to my ears I will also admit it I've seen hundreds of soul acts live since 1964 and when I grew into a man did security for Rock n Roll and Soul Legends plus top pop acts over the years also DJ ,d  NS and Rn B at all major venues I also MC,d at all the early raves from 1990 till 2000 with all the top DJ,s on the dance scene simply because I love music and even love more what music does for people's spirits it's one of the great levellers for human nature so I'm not disagreeing with what you hear I'm just telling you what I hear so the people who bought the blue sharks version liked what they heard and that's why they bought it I've never bought anything I don't like, collecting sounds matters to me not record labels, I'm a music man not a anorack collector and I'm not saying there,s anything wrong with being a anorack collector that's their choice oh by the way I think the velvelletes version is a great sound too

Take it easy 

Peace and tranquility

ML

Social source share

Ok the poll has ended

no real great shakes with the result but was some interesting follow on discussion

thanks to all who took part both in the voting and thetalking

the next poll be up in a day or two

cheers

mike

1. Which Version does it for you?
Blue Sharks
12%
The Velvelettes
88%

Social source share

On 26/09/2017 at 20:25, theothertosspot said:

The "you walked into my life one day" version does it for me. Available on the German pressed (I think) Motown Chartbusters Vol 6. 

Oh b*llocks once again I've missed the bus...been meaning to post a reply for the last week or so. Oh well.

Never knew of the alternate version of this song untill about a month ago when talking to John Britton from Wakefield at a record fair and it cropped up purely by chance as he spotted the album in my sales boxes.

The album credits don't give any indication that it's an alternative lyric version.

Don't know if this alternative lyric version ever got a release on 45 in the states or anywhere for that matter, either at the time and in the period since.

Derek

The Velvelettes ‘These Things Will Keep Me Loving You’ alternate lyrics version

59d3826ce403f_VelvelettesThesesThingscompLPaltversion.thumb.jpg.6a4dacb17e1e6b71b041ce243a2ed926.jpg

59d38294cf451_VelvelettesThesesThingscompLPaltversionfrontcover.thumb.jpg.a2a28cbb62e12f005ba24f8f138f6d8b.jpg

59d382c602906_VelvelettesThesesThingscompLPaltversionrearcover.thumb.jpg.6f5b3e9b402c9d290ceca6da28e56790.jpg

Social source share

2 hours ago, Pete S said:

Defeats the object of a poll though!  It's just a bit of fun.

not sure what you mean Pete

thinking was that as some have said in past polls they didn't vote as they couldnt choose which one to pick, then by allowing multi-choice - eg can select both if wish - it should have increased the participation (and the fun) without affecting the result... in theory  :wink:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Allowing two votes will effect the result if it''s done as a percentage, since it will make the lesser appear more popular than it is. It won't effect  the outcome granted. Surely it's not too difficult to choose one and if someone really can't decide maybe just toss a coin - isn't that how it's usually done?

Social source share

Just now, maslar said:

Allowing two votes will effect the result if it''s done as a percentage, since it will make the lesser appear more popular than it is. It won't effect  the outcome granted. Surely it's not too difficult to choose one and if someone really can't decide maybe just toss a coin - isn't that how it's usually done?

as you say it wont affect the outcome

it was a simple attempt to encourage more members to take part in a 'just for fun' poll, thats all :thumbsup:

Social source share

3 hours ago, Derek Pearson said:

Oh b*llocks once again I've missed the bus...been meaning to post a reply for the last week or so. Oh well.

Never knew of the alternate version of this song untill about a month ago when talking to John Britton from Wakefield at a record fair and it cropped up purely by chance as he spotted the album in my sales boxes.

The album credits don't give any indication that it's an alternative lyric version.

Don't know if this alternative lyric version ever got a release on 45 in the states or anywhere for that matter, either at the time and in the period since.

Derek

The Velvelettes ‘These Things Will Keep Me Loving You’ alternate lyrics version

59d3826ce403f_VelvelettesThesesThingscompLPaltversion.thumb.jpg.6a4dacb17e1e6b71b041ce243a2ed926.jpg

59d38294cf451_VelvelettesThesesThingscompLPaltversionfrontcover.thumb.jpg.a2a28cbb62e12f005ba24f8f138f6d8b.jpg

59d382c602906_VelvelettesThesesThingscompLPaltversionrearcover.thumb.jpg.6f5b3e9b402c9d290ceca6da28e56790.jpg

Hi Derek.....It was a mistake, someone chose the wrong version which was rectified with the 2nd run after the 1st run was removed from sale but obviously lots got to the shops and were bought. Quite rare but not too difficult to find. Never had any other release with these lyrics.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• 2 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!