Chicago Soul

Guest Colin Marshall

Guest Colin Marshall

This is a plea for help/direction. I intend to visit the US in 2018 and get to the Motown and the Stax museums. I am struggling to find a similar centre in Chicago celebrating the likes of Curtis, Jerry,Impressions etc  and their contribution to Soul Music throughout the 50s, 60's and 70's. Can any kind "soul" point me in the right direction........and for that matter suggest any other centre celebrating soul in the US that would be worthy of a visit ?   

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

They were always going to turn the old Chess Studios into a Chicago Soul Museum, but as always, the folks over there didn't appreciate what they had.

I recall talking with Barbara Acklin about the proposal & she just said ... there's nothing special about that building ...  .   .   . I told her, the Stax Studio was just a converted cinema & look what great music was made there. The local city council knocked the building down & then (years later) rebuilt it . . . . She sort of got my point & said she'd have a word in a few ears when she got home ... BUT nothing really happened until...  ....  Willie Dixon's widow bought the place & made it into the Willie Dixon's Blues Heaven Foundation. 

Don't know if it's open to the public though.

ChessRecsBuilding.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

There's a new African-American music museum underway as we speak in Nashville, if you are going that way by then. Covering blues, gospel, soul and jazz nationally but also within Nashville itself. I'm in discussions with the director / curator given the stuff I did on Nashville R&B recently. Still being built, it opens in a year or two I think.

Social source share

Guest Colin Marshall
On 9/27/2017 at 18:41, RobbK said:

I'm from Chicago, and I can't answer that question.  I'd like to see someone else on this forum lead us to such place, IF it exists.  It's times like this when we realise just how valuable a resource Bob Abrahamian was. 

Thank you for responding. It's sad really that the "powers that be" do not realise/recognise the wonderful music created here 1950/1979. I

n my view Chicago is on a par with Detroit and Memphis! 

The home of Chess - Willie Dixon's Blues Heaven Foundation - appears to open to the public- albeit the hours are limited - once again - thank you for the "heads up"  

Also appears Nashville may have something to offer .....if not 2018 ...maybe later .......I'll have to go Stateside a second time! 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!