Warped Records

Craig W

Following on from the advice on how to clean records , what is the best way to remove a warp from a record.

I have heard various remedies but what really works?

I heard if you put a warped record in the microwave for a couple of minutes it would become pliable and you could bend it back into shape.

Tried this with a warped Doris Day 45 to see if it worked and it bent back into shape as flat as a pancake.

Then tried it with a mint but slightly warped Eddies my name on Parkway , bent it gently and it snapped in two.

Does anything actually work to remove warps?

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Andy BB

Tried this with Etta James - Seven Day Fool...

Put it in the microwave for 3 minutes, then I used a cigarette lighter to warm the middle up. Then I sat on it for half an hour, then put it in the middle of Hackney road and waited until a number 55 bus ran over it.

Did the trick!

Well and truly fu*ked!

I hate that bloody record.

Social source share

Tried this with Etta James - Seven Day Fool...

Put it in the microwave for 3 minutes, then I used a cigarette lighter to warm the middle up. Then I sat on it for half an hour, then put it in the middle of Hackney road and waited until a number 55 bus ran over it.

Did the trick!

Well and truly fu*ked!

I hate that bloody record.

link

Ive heard for it to be succesfull it has to be a number 45 bus for a single an a number 33 bus for a Lp :lol:

Social source share

Heard placing a record between two pieces of glass in sun light can help lose a warp but never tried it but a practice for the summer perhaps, or perhaps in spain etc.

Personally if a warp does not spoil a record then best leave it as it is me thinks.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

I heard that Mark but it suggested putting it in the oven for a while . Personally it bugs me to see a mint 45 with a lump like a camels back going round while its playing even if it plays great!

Social source share

I have a lot of experience in this field having successfully murdered 22 reggae and ska singles by washing them in the DISHWASHER earlier this year. Some came out bent in half!

What I did with the most extreme was to cover them with a wet tea towel and flatten them using a hot iron. Then when they resembled a record again, I put the record inbetween 2 upturned dinner plates, put them back in the dishwasher and ran the cycle again, the heat almost flattened them so I finished them off with the tea towel / iron combo again.

The results of this were ok. I saved about 5 records and they are playable. On the downside, I ruined over £300 worth of records in the first place.

I tried the oven method, inbetween 2 plates of glass, the record melted and the glass cracked, but obviously I had it too hot.

Conclusion - I'm a twat for cleaning records in a dishwasher.

Social source share

have heard if you put record between two sheets of glass and run an iron over it, but again not sure what temperature or thickness of glass. a hot wet towel wrapped round record with heavy books stacked on top!

Danny D

btw; this stuff subject should be started in tools n tackle techie section, have found some interesting tips will post in there later

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Heard placing a record between two pieces of glass in sun light can help lose a warp but never tried it but a practice for the summer perhaps, or perhaps in spain etc.

Personally if a warp does not spoil a record then best leave it as it is me thinks.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

The Japanese have a machine that gradually cooks a record between two sheets of glass, and then gradually cools it again. Costs quite a bit of money too. Have tried all sorts of cures but a lot of warps will come back quite quickly anyway, so generally don't worry about it if they play, as Mark says. Have had a few records which have mysteriously warped a few weeks after purchase, so supect that they had been flattened by someone else before sale. Tut tut! :angry:

Social source share

the best way is the glass version you can even get them cut to just over 7 inches in a circle a good heavey tuffend glass works best and just leave in the sun prehaps put a old dictionary on top too you'll never get the slightest of warps out but for them ones that are fairly bad its good

Social source share

• 2 months later...

The Glass thing dont work.

I cut a hole 7" in my lounge double glazing slid the record between the two panes.It fell to the bottom and chipped the run in also couldnt get the bastard out again.Howling gales and rain now gettin in the hole so window was fecked and had to be replaced ..cost me £1500 for a new one to fix a £3 warped copy of Mitty Colliers ..PAIN

dont know if she meant as in window or not.

the gasher b34

Edited by gash99
Social source share

I WAS TOLD BY A GUY IN THE STATES, TO PUT THE RECORD INSIDE A REALLY THICK BOOK, AND PUT IN THE AIRING CUPBOARD FOR A WEEK. WORKED OK ON A SLIGHT WARP

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!