MBarrett

Music papers in the US in the 1960s

When I was an early teen in the mid-60s I lapped up everything I could about the music scene and would regularly buy the likes of Melody Maker, NME, Record Mirror and Disc (and Music Echo). They were national papers but tended to have a slight bias towards different musical genres. Then there were more localised papers which I have only seen since such as Mersey Beat, Brum Beat etc.

So was there anything remotely like this in the US? I'm not thinking of Billboard or Cashbox which I guess were trade magazines. Or Rolling Stone magazine.

I'm thinking of the equivalent of what we had here on our little island? Either national or local. I would have thought they would be a great source of information.

On 01/10/2017 at 00:39, MBarrett said:

When I was an early teen in the mid-60s I lapped up everything I could about the music scene and would regularly buy the likes of Melody Maker, NME, Record Mirror and Disc (and Music Echo). They were national papers but tended to have a slight bias towards different musical genres. Then there were more localised papers which I have only seen since such as Mersey Beat, Brum Beat etc.

So was there anything remotely like this in the US? I'm not thinking of Billboard or Cashbox which I guess were trade magazines. Or Rolling Stone magazine.

I'm thinking of the equivalent of what we had here on our little island? Either national or local. I would have thought they would be a great source of information.

This is a local Philly free sheet I must have picked up in 1976, so wrong decade but could be similar to what was around in the 60s. It could have been very difficult to produce a national music paper in the US, too big and too much music, so it may have been done by city, state or region.

I think this paper was aimed at young adults as the ads are for bars, lounges and restaurants. Some of the clubs specify "adult disco", nothing sleazy but could be catering for older age group and not teens. Very few clubs have live acts, unlike the 60s, most are discos . Live acts tend to be jazz style or MOR.The records listed seem to be all major labels, unfortunately no local releases or artists. One item of news is that Pookie Hudson was due to start a recording session, anything come of this?

59d3e8cc284bb_scoop1001.thumb.jpg.46e0c188b025df75ce181928360c07ce.jpg

59d3e9370d6f6_scoop2001.thumb.jpg.3cec5ba8908c453f18a808166f876e14.jpg

59d3e961036d1_scoop3001.thumb.jpg.155c2cda93951e176c7d492afdb64c62.jpg

A more well known paper was the Detroit Free Press, so I did a search for this and found the site for the archives, but at nearly three million pages I restricted results to 1966 and put a few likely key words in. This got some good looking results but it only gave a tiny square from the page. To view the whole page needed a $8 monthly subscription so I didn't bother. Anyone with the time could probably find quite a lot about the Detroit music scene from these archives.

Rick

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.