Alexander Patton/LeeBrackett

No doubt he cut a demo version of the song as he doesn't seem to have had much of a direct link to Alex Patton or the cut's producer Jimmy Mac (other that Jim Mac cut one of his songs on the Fury's in 64). Gene Page was also the arranger on that Fury's 45 and on Lee Brackett's Vault 45 in 64.

In all Lee Bracket only has 8 songs listed as being his compositions down the years and he cut two of those himself (the Excello 45 tracks). So, he doesn't seem to have been guy who wrote songs on a regular basis. I'd GUESS that as he knew Jimmy Mac from earlier work he sent this song along to JM for consideration, JM liked it and cut it on Alex.  

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Goldsoul said:

I spoke with Alex and James and hez(Brackett) did not record ‘Sometimes’. 

McEachin cut 3 sides with Capitol during one day at Vine St studios in 1966. Sometimes, No More Dreams, True Love  

I reunited them at SoultripUSA Los Angeles 2004   

Kev,

Do you know why Alexander didn't have many records issued? (I'm no expert but am only aware of 2)

Cheers

Kev Bod

Social source share

He didn’t see any future. He cut sides for Effie Smith’s Duo Disc but by the mid 60’s he was disillusioned. Eventually got into Sports promotion, in particular boxing. 

Great talent. Dear friend  

On a side note, you can just about see him in  a white suit in the Eddy Murphy film ‘Coming To America’. Look for the Black Awareness church hall get together. He’s about 3 to the left of Eddie and Arsenio Hall 😀

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Goldsoul said:

He didn’t see any future. He cut sides for Effie Smith’s Duo Disc but by the mid 60’s he was disillusioned. Eventually got into Sports promotion, in particular boxing. 

Great talent. Dear friend  

On a side note, you can just about see him in  a white suit in the Eddy Murphy film ‘Coming To America’. Look for the Black Awareness church hall get together. He’s about 3 to the left of Eddie and Arsenio Hall 😀

Thanks for the reply Kev. "A Lil' Lovin" is, in my opinion, a brilliant vocal performance. A record that is one of my favorites.

Did he have a successful career? I hope so. I also hope that he aware of the high regard his work is held in. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!