those "sad" records you play late at night

On 24/11/2017 at 09:11, soulatthedale said:

The great man just roars through this. Soul as sad as it gets.

That’s absolute class my friend. Never heard it before. Edwin was so underrated - I was a late convert. He was laid to rest in the same cemetery as my mum. God bless them both. 

Pete

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Wow! 🎶🎶🎶👏👌👍🎶

On 24/11/2017 at 10:11, soulatthedale said:

The great man just roars through this. Soul as sad as it gets.

Social source share

Guest themroc
1 hour ago, Ahoy Sailor said:

Here’s a few

Great selection Cap'! Eddie Holman one of my all time fave along with 'This Can't Be True'( I've got i Love You on LP is it true that it was never released on 45?) In My Heart,  another corker. And what can you say about 'Didn't i'. What an Artist and probably the coolest guy on the planet :pirate:

darondo.jpg

Social source share

Guest themroc

Sorry just looked up Eddie Holman I Love You and it came out on ABC and Action in UK, not cheap tho. Anyone out there with a copy going??? 

Nick. 

Social source share

Guest themroc
17 hours ago, mattbolton said:

This.... 

Love Jerry's version but this just kills me. 

And on the femme side...

Brenda Holloway - You've Changed Me  

Nearly died when Butch played the acetate at the niter. Had it for ages, never played it. 😩

I know it's nearly impossible to make a slower version but this one kills it for me! See you tomorrow nite mate, 

Nick. 

Social source share

Guest themroc

Dammed if I'm gonna let this thread go if I'm the only one keeping it alive. Great Saturday nite at the 100 Club, let the cumdown begin. Ray Charles underplayed and underestimated. 

Social source share

38 minutes ago, themroc said:

Dammed if I'm gonna let this thread go if I'm the only one keeping it alive. Great Saturday nite at the 100 Club, let the cumdown begin. Ray Charles underplayed and underestimated. 

When it comes to the sad songs,you're the only miserable old git out there,at the moment....:lol:....

tho I must say,I do prefer the other side to that Inverts disc

"time will change"...:thumbsup:...

Edited by MGM 1251
Social source share

19 minutes ago, themroc said:

How good is this vid - absolute magic. Loads of different artists have done this. My favourite Nina Simone is just top trumped by this video masterpiece. Sammy Davis Junior - Mr Bojangles. Beautiful.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest themroc
15 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

How good is this vid - absolute magic. Loads of different artists have done this. My favourite Nina Simone is just top trumped by this video masterpiece. Sammy Davis Junior - Mr Bojangles. Beautiful.

All suffered the same epitaph - Louis Armstrong, Nat King Cole, Ray  Charles and Sammy. Just jobbing musicians with a family to support.,yet denigrated. 

The greatest thing in life to learn is just to love and be loved in return. 

Social source share

Hello again to all!

(I have been years without writing here; I was here under the nickname of "Manny" and I should have to login again with another name)

When I think in "sad" or "mellow" soul tunes that can made cry a marble statue... these are the ones that comes to my mind:

- "The Coldest Days Of My Life", The Chi - Lites

- I knows somebody have posted "First Time Ever I Saw Yor Face" by Roberta Flack but, what about the cover by the Chi - Lites?

- A great collection of mellow tunes by Ron Banks & The Dramatics, from "In The Rain" to the 90's one "For Your Love" (from the "Mellodrama" album) passing trough "Just Shopin'"

- "Breakdown And Let It All Out", The O'Jays

A Great Salute from Valls (Tarragona, Spain)

Edited by josep manuel concernau robles
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 30 de noviembre de 2017 at 23:34, Peter99 said:

Not read the whole thread so apologies if this has been posted already. Absolute class Philly Soul from the great, late Teddy Pendergrass. One of the first albums I ever bought and one of my favourites.

Great one! In fact, Teddy sang many other "sad" or "mellow" tunes. My all time favorite (as a "mellow song" and in general as, IMHO, one of the best in the "songbook" of the entire Philly Soul) is "Cold, Cold World" from his second Lp "Life Is A Song Worth Singing".

Cheers to All

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest themroc

Came across this tune on the TV series Treme. A great bit of HBO programming and a must for anybody interested in deep southern music. In the episode this appears in he says that it's the Nightingales backing Gary Walker but it's always credited to The Boogie King's, any ideas? 

Social source share

I don't well understand the lyrics (my english is not enough fine), but this tune make me feel mellow every time I hear it. One of my favorites by one of my favorite vocal groups, The Dramatics. I purchased "The Dells Vs. The Dramatics" album when I was 15 years - old and  since on "Tune Up" and "Don't Make Me Promises" are for me indispensables!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!