those "sad" records you play late at night

After struggling for many years with drug addiction and being shunned by many people in the industry following his marriage to Sam Cooke’s widow, the King was back. His comeback albums Poet 1 and Poet 2, in the early 80’ are surely two of his finest. So, from the first album, the stunning, Just My Imagination. Bobby at his best. More to come from this album over the coming days - sticking to the sort of one pick a day!

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Another sad song favorite of mine since was published in 1976: "This Is Your Life" by Jerry Butler (specially the intro). Despite the fact I'm a Philly Soul fan I prefer the two Jerry Butler's albums on Motown "Love's On The Menu" and "Suite For The Single Girl" than the two Gamble & Huff eras on the singer career (late 60's on Mercury / late 70's on PIR). This one is the last side B track of "Love's On The Menu", writed by Lionel Ritchie.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 03/12/2017 at 19:48, Peter99 said:

How good is this vid - absolute magic. Loads of different artists have done this. My favourite Nina Simone is just top trumped by this video masterpiece. Sammy Davis Junior - Mr Bojangles. Beautiful.

That makes the hairs stand up f..king awsome 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

55 minutes ago, jazz said:

That makes the hairs stand up f..king awsome 

Its a beatuful video and Sammy is perfect for it. I suspct that in his interpretation of the song he’s Mr Bojangles and he’s singing about himself. 

Pete

:hatsoff2:

Edited by Peter99
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 20:02, Peter99 said:

Another superb song culled from Bobby's Poet 1 album. Stunning vocals from the man himself, matched key for key by the female harmonies/backing. You just cannot beat Bobby, well, occasionally perhaps.

If you think you're lonely now.

tuneeeeeeeeeee

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!