Texas Rarity

Another gorgeous and hard to find 45 in great shape…..
PM any questions or to reserve

Sonics – Find myself another girl – Valmon 188 Ex+ £700 SOLD

59d29c21d46a3_Valmon188.jpg.34b520814694e2d5f087e12ed08c2e7c.jpg    Sonics - Find myself another girl.mp3

Where would be without many hundreds if not thousands of unsung music industry people? Another fine example of one superhero was Ben Moncivais, who followed his dream to own and operate a jewelry store and recording studio.  Not the most obvious business pairing but as a reputable watchmaker he was halfway there.

Moncivais leased space inside the Martin Valdez furniture store on Austin’s East Side to run his business, and create Valmon (Val - Valdez and Mon - Moncivais) as the first Mexican-American record label.  This humble operation would soon become hallowed ground for Chicano artists and groups looking to display their talent in what was, at the time, a challenging Texan and national industry. Moncivais produced a substantial portion of Austin’s local groups throughout the 60’s, artists like Little Joe & The Latinaires, also known as La Familia, Freddy Salas, Roy Montelongo, and Manuel Donley to name a few. He recorded a type of ranchera-polka and Chicano Soul music often associated with the West Side sound combos, like Sunny Ozuna and his Key-Loc Records set up.

Valmon only closed their doors in 1993 and with around 200 releases on the label it is incredible to find a single entry in that huge catalogue of Mexican tracks that ticks absolutely every box expected of a rare and potential filled northern soul 45.  This Sonics track, and they cut at least 4 sides, appears to have broken from the labels tradition and gone English! The result is an accomplished mid-tempo dancer, with a stunning lead vocal, wistful backing full of light horns, guitar and drum, and a sumptuous sax break.  The diggers and hardened collectors out there will spend an eternity looking high and low for 45’s like this, often passing such jewels by!  My advice is look no further, here’s Texas soul at its best, completely underplayed, ripe for a life beyond its current obscurity and helped by the sale of a copy by Phil Shields recently.

I only picked this up 2 months ago on here, there’s nothing wrong with it, in fact I spent several years trying to secure a copy, so I’m gutted about letting it go BUT a change in priorities means it’s up for grabs.  Ex+ overall condition, just 2 very light pops ¾ the way through but plays M- and promotional ink stamp on both sides.

PayPal as friends or add 4% or bank transfer please.

Postage:
£8.50 - Special Delivery
Overseas on Request

Cheers, Lee

Edited by SoulfulSolutions
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 0
  • Views 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply